“Best Po'Boy in NOLA!”

Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Parkway Bakery & Tavern is a New Orleans restaurant and family dining tradition located at the corner of Hagan and Toulouse overlooking Bayou St. John in Louisiana.
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Ate here for the National Championship game wekeend. It was my second trip to this place and I will always return. Take the trolley all the way down and then hop off and walk. Best shrimp po'boy ever!

1  Thank TheKrispyK

Reviewed 12 April 2012

From meatball to shrimp, the poorboys are the best. Don't bother to read the competition reviews...this is the place. Everyone eats here, even the Secret Service folks.....

1  Thank Steve V
Reviewed 6 April 2012

the roast beef po-boy, dressed (lettuce, tomatoe, and pickle) is extremely messy, but worth the 500 napkins

1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is my second time at Parkway, 1st back in November 2011 & got the shrimp poor boy that time too, once I was home (in Texas) just couldn't find another that came close. Upon returning in March, I begged to return to Parkway & again indulged myself. The shrimp are too numerous to count, they are tasty, & the tomato, lettuce topping just add to it. My family members tried other poor boys & liked them all but the shrimp is the winner to me. I'd move next door if I lived there, just good ole poor boys, down home atmosphere, great experience. Better hurry, a lot of other people think so too!

2  Thank TexasTravellingfool
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were referred here by the owners of a French Qtr B&B we stayed at. This place did not dissapoint. IT IS NOT A FANCY JOINT! Once again, as with so many good places, the seating & atmosphere is basic. However, there are some interesting things on the wall-- old, original newpaper front page articles about Elvis' death & other Southern milestones, photos of politicians & famous folks who have visited, old show cards from concerts in New Orleans' past, and colorful paintings that interpret Parkway before, during & after Katrina's wrath. We're glad that this institution survived & is back to serve some excellent "working man's" food. I hear you might find a line, depending on what time of day you go. Service is fast and you can watch the prep in the kitchen while you wait. Parking is scarce, as in most of New Orleans.

We both had SUPER STUFFED shrimp poor boys & they were awesome. The shrimp inside was not greasy & was packed full to overflowing. I liked the addition of the tomato & lettuce "dressing." My father enjoyed his beef poor boy & gravy w/debris as well. The cuban bread they use for making their sandwiches is so light that you do not get the anticipated "heavy" feeling from eating a 12" sandwich. This bread is light as a feather, airy, crusty, fresh, crumby, & crunchy. (Are you hungry yet?) I have only had bread like this one other time, and that was at the Columbia House in Sarasota. The man who used to supply the bread to that restaurant died & refused to give anyone the recipe before he left.

A NOLA bakery is making this bread especially for Parkway and delivers it early each morning. Prices are reasonable, their fries were also crispy, & beer or soft drinks are available to wash it all down. There is a bar right inside the entrance as well, but I was there to make a bee line for the food ordering counter. We are really sorry we did not make it back on our return trip. We tried other poor boys, but theirs was tops. I should've swung by just to grab a sandwich & a few loaves of that bread to take home. My loss.

2  Thank LucyintheSky12