“Classic relaxed elegance”

Galatoire's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Galatoire's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #221 of 2,036 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Iberville
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Several recommendations caused us to try an early dinner at Galatorie's. We were disappointed for a nano second when we saw the sign Men must wear a jacket for dinner but our angst was quelled by man at the door providing me with a black sports coat. This price of admission (no charge for the jacket) went seamlessly and we went to enjoy elegantly prepared food at reasonable prices. My wife and I had cocktails and each a glass of wine with dinner. ( I had the duck she a salad with chicken.) The cost was $120. The food was superb and the service was friendly and efficient. As they say: Try it you will like it.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I’m probably most disappointed that I wasted a meal here in a city of amazing food and restaurants. We came for an early Thursday evening dinner. It was my wife, sister in law and my two kids (3 and 1 yr old). This place is not kid friendly but that’s fine. We came early and our kids are well behaved in fine dining situations. When we arrived we weren’t remotely greeted with any real welcome. The one guy had a snooty look on his face and looked past us. Maybe it was because we have kids? Or maybe he’s an a__, hard to tell. The other woman gave us a quick glance and told us to head upstairs. The wait staff was nice enough although they mentioned bringing plastic cups of water for the kids and never did. We were excited about the menu only to be told there was no crab in the restaurant. If you looked at the menu you would understand our confusion given how many dishes have crab. In the end, our entree (shrimp creole) was average at best. The sides (spinach and potatoes au gratin) and apps (duck crepe)were at least decent or this would be 1 Star.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Well located on Bourbon St. The food was first class. The service was personal, attentive and informative. The atmosphere was great. We had a great meal. Thank you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Make sure you make a reservation. We were there during Mardi Gras. The service was attentive and welcoming. We enjoyed the fish of the day and the steak. The atmosphere was fun as it was a busy night.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had booked a table for nine people months in advance. It was Easter Sunday and I was there on my (very mature and classy) bachelorette party, and we were all dressed up very fancy and looking great. However, when we got there we were ushered up to the second floor, which was dingy, dim and drab. It was definitely where the second class citizens are placed. The main floor is clearly the place to be, but you have to be in the know. The service staff, though friendly, were not great. No one asked if we were there for a special occasion, and no one cared. The Management was atrocious. They were officious, cold and unpleasant. At one point, a parade was going by and one of the waiters opened the window to encourage people to go out to the balcony to watch. A few of us did. Then a very unfriendly woman who I can only assume was a Manager yelled at us that it was "very unsafe" to be there and that it was "not a balcony". As a group of mostly lawyers, we were appalled by this announcement. Why would you make an unfortified patio open and available to your guests, only to yell at them afterward? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The cherry on top was that in a restaurant of MOSTLY CRAB DISHES, there was no crab left, as "something had gone wrong". I assume that's code for "we served it to everyone downstairs". The food was okay, but nothing to write home about, and the presentation was sorely lacking. It looked like someone had ladled the bouillabaisse sloppily into the bowl, splashing on the sides. I have never in my life had an experience like this. I am shocked and appalled and this restaurant does not deserve its rating.