“Weekend Getaway”

French Quarter Suites Hotel
Ranked #102 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the French Quarter Suites Hotel. Suite was very comfortable, hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Walking distance to everything in the French Quarter, practically next door the the Louis Armstrong Park. Comfortably walked back to suite from Bourbon Street after dark.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We arrived to find out that we would be staying in the New Orleans next door to the French Quarter Hotel and Suites. We booked our room in October, and a $250 deposit was withdrawn from our checking account immediately. Our trip was not scheduled until December 29. This deposit was suppose to be half of our stay; however, again when we arrived we were surprised to find out differently. Our total ended up being $765 for Thursday - Sunday nights. After that shock, we were given a room upstairs with no elevator to help carry luggage. The room was horrible. I wish I would have taken pictures. The bed was hard and slanted downhill. The bedspread was stained and contained a horrible smell. Thank goodness the sheets were clean. However, the bathroom was nasty. The sink area was very, very small -- only the sink with a mirror. The shower was also nasty, and you had to wait at least 15 minutes for hot water everytime you wanted to take a shower or use hot water. I called the front desk; the repronse I received was not helpful at all. The lady told me that there was nothing she could do and that was just the way it was. Also, we had to use earplugs every night just to try to get any sleep. The sound of the traffic from North Rampart was unbelievable. ...Location was also bad.. This hotel appeared to be in a rough part of town, and we had to walk many, many blocks to get to Bourbon Street. I did not feel safe when walking. When we checked in the hotel clerk told me to stay on Ursaline St. to get to Bourbon. (This was a big clue to me that it was not a safe place to be.) The continental breakfast does only consist of various types of bread, fruit, and waffles as stated in some of the other reviews....... Please try to find somewhere else to stay...don't waste your money on this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank emcd76
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The hotel is in a great location on the edge of the French Quarter and walking distance from Bourbon Street (although we were recommended to get a cab after dark for safety). The rooms have good character although a drawer in ours had stuff from a previous visitor in it so housekeeping could be better. The pool was good although a few bits of plants/leaves floating in it. Breakfast was good although almost entirely carbs (waffles and a wide variety of breads). The (female) receptionist in the day was outstanding and booked our bus tour for us as well as spending a good deal of time helping us find good places to eat and showing us the best route to walk to get everything we wanted to do done in the time we had.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank David C
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Certainly plenty of room here. It's handy having a kitchenette and a real bedroom. The location is good--walking distance to pretty much wherever most tourists would want to go.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Guillaume89
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Yes, most of the reviews you have read here are correct about this ain't a 5 star hotel; but it's what we were looking for when coming to the French Quarter. I didn't want a Marriott, I wanted character. Character, Pools, breakfast and location worked for us. It wasn't fancy but was fine for our needs. What we didn't expect was seeing what we believed to be ghosts. I didn't like reading that the staff was unfriendly; we liked them rather well. William help me book the room and was most helpful of what to see and do in the area. Thanks William!

Ghosts, yep, I woke up one morning and noticed about 6 or 7 round happy faces just watching us sleep. Of course I thought this was just a dream so I sat up, rubbed my eyes and took another look. They were in the front room and our beds were in the back room. I looked over at them again and there they were, smiling, turning their heads from side to side, just watching us sleep. I thought, "when I tell my partner about this one he's sure to have me committed". So later that day over lunch I jokingly told him about what I'd seen. Of course he didn't believe me so that was the end of that dicussion. Surprise, surprise, the next day he too had a similar experience and told me about it. It was in April when we were there so I cannot remember the room number, maybe 116 or 106. Needless to say, it gave us a good story to tell.

There is great dining and history here, upscale or a dive we had it all; be sure to get to the Garden District, go to the local plantations, Bloody Mary's are the best way to begin your days here, oysters were great, gumbo gumbo gumbo. Enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple