“A great weekend in the North American cottage”

and 1 more site!
Five Continents Inn
Ranked #64 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“A great weekend in the North American cottage”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

When we arrived we were greeted by Peter, who directed us to our parking spot. We drove through a little gate and were able to park directly in front of the cottage, which stands behind the house. The location of 5Cs was close enough to the French Quarter that we walked everywhere. When we had too much food and drink for dinner we simply took a $7 cab ride back. Although the location is just outside the quarter, on the other side of I-10 overpass, we felt quite safe and there were many other touristy-looking pedestrians walking throughout the day (But we did avoid taking walks late at night in the neighborhood). The 5Cs itself feels very safe and snug, and the cottage was perfect for us and our dogs. It consists of one main room with the bed; a little kitcheny nook with fridge, sink, and microwave; a large-ish bathroom with a nice walk-in shower (no tub). Breakfast was in the big house and was protein-rich (also fresh fruit); and Peter was very happy to take any special requests. I like this place a lot, although I might stay in the French Quarter next time if the dogs aren't with us simply because we spend almost all our time there. But this place is especially excellent if you have a pet or will be going to different parts of the city. Peter and his partner are very nice, but not overly-chatty, which I really appreciated. I highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: I stayed in the cottage. It's very quiet and private.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thanks for writing. It was great to have you here. We always enjoy having pets in the North American Cottage. Hope to see you again soon in New Orleans and here at the Five Continents.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
mcminnville, oregon
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I am from Louisiana and have been to New Orleans many times. I have great memories, but this place has ruined New Orleans for me. I wanted to show my son (age 19) how great the city is, so we stayed 3 nights at a hotel in the Quarter and had a great experience there. I made a reservation at 5 Continents for the last night there--when I saw the reviews for the place I was looking forward to this experience for weeks. The owner met us briefly and left. The gate to the driveway is barely large enough for a single car. Driving through it onto the property and later upon trying to back out, the automated gate closed itself and scraped the right side of my car well into the metal of the door. His friend was very nice about helping us, and we went ahead and got dinner. When we came back, his friend came walking down the driveway and told us the owner was back and wanted to know what happened. The owner greeted us at the door and asked what had happened to the "fricking gate". We explained and he mumbled "sh--" under his breath, then made a big scene going upstairs to get a flashlight to look at the damage that we had inflicted on HIS property. As far as I was concerned, my car had been ruined, but I was going to let my insurance company handle it the next day. Upon entering our room we noticed that our things had been moved around. We debated what to do--we obviously didn't feel very welcome at this point, and decided to leave. I am a physician, have traveled the world, and I have even lived in third world countries, but I have never been made to feel as uncomfortable as this. This man single handedly ruined my last trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathy N
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
So sorry you had negative experience. In a 19th century historic home gates and driveways are narrower than in newer suburban areas. That having been said, we have had many guests with large SUVs and even trucks park in this are, without a problem. I hope your next visit to our wonderful city will be more pleasant.
Chicago
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed in the Eurasian Suite, double bedroom with bath. Peter is a fine chef who is very pleasant and caring. We got married on Friday the 13th in the French Quarter on this trip. Beautiful old home with southern charm. Large rooms, high ceilings and great location, close to the French Quarter but without all the hoopla. Very Peaceful and clean. The house dog is AKO who is very friendly and well mannered. You cant go wrong here unless you want all the noise and daubachery of Bourbon Street.

Jeff & Penny
Chicago

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
It was great fun and a privilege to share in the joy of your wedding here in New Orleans. We hope to see you all here again soon.
Pinecrest, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2012

What a beautiful house and a wonderful host. We stayed in the European Suite. The master room was large with ample space and the adjoining living room/bedroom was very spacious. The bathroom was large and we loved the footed tub. :) Breakfast is worth getting up for, we set our clocks to make sure we didn't miss it. Our host, Peter was accommodating in our daily choices. He made bagels, omelets with alligator or craw-fish and french toast, either choice, delicious. Coffee, Juice and a fruit cup with yogurt, everyday. The sofa bed probably needs a new mattress but I have never met a sofa bed I liked :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
So glad you all had a great time in New Orleans and with us at the Five Continents. Regarding the pull-out couch in the sitting room in the European Suite, we have added a rollaway bed for extra guests. It has worked well. Hope to see you again soon in New Orleans.
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in the cottage in the rear of the property. This was our first trip to New Orleans, and we hadn't stayed inn a Bed and Breakfast in many years. We arrived to a warm and friendly greeting from the owner, Jess. The home itself is absolutely gorgeous! The rooms were sparkling clean, and you really are made to feel at home.

The cottage was beautiful, and set back a bit from the house, which offered a little more privacy. The breakfasts in the morning are five star, and absolutely delicious.

The only "downfall" is the location in terms of the hustle and bustle of the tourist areas. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the French Quarter, and you'd be smart to take a cab back at night ($7 or so). In all honesty, I would even call this a downfall.

The prices for the rooms are reasonable, and you certainly feel like you get your money's worth, and then some. I only wish we could have stayed there on a recent trip, we just waited too long to book.

A wonderful place to stay!

Stayed March 2010.

Room Tip: Check out the cottage!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mojo_one
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thanks for writing a review. It was wonderful to take over the B&B from Jess back in September. Although I've added a number of personal touches to the decor and to the breakfast menu, I am proud to continue the long tradition of excellent hospitality for which the Five Continents is so well know. I look foward to your next visit.