“The MOST AMAZING READING AND EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Island of Salvation Botanica
Ranked #57 of 253 Shopping in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Haitian art, ritual candles, incense and fortune telling in the heart of The Bywater.
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

First off let me just say that the store is FANTASTIC! I visited a few stores and this is the only one that I felt so peaceful in...Needless to say that I lingered after my reading for almost an hour. I had a reading with Fatima...she is the REAL DEAL!! She described people and situations in my life like she had known me forever. The best part is that she was not only honest about the good, bad and ugly, but she was also super accurate. I've had my fair share of readings but this one was by far the BEST! I even referred 2 of my friends and my mom who did a phone ready with her and everyone was blown away!!! Fatima and The Island of Salvation are definitely a major must when in New Orleans!

2  Thank Corrinelovestravel

Reviewed 10 July 2016

My initial experience with Island of Salvation was not a positive one. (Not a big deal, either). Namely, about three weeks prior to my trip to New Orleans, I'd written an e-mail and asked to schedule one hour reading with Sallie Ann for my husband and myself between such and such dates.

Two weeks later, there was still no reply. It was (and still is) difficult for me to understand why it had been so hard for someone from the store to respond with just several words. They could have said something like:" Sorry, but Sallie Ann will not be available for those dates, but we could schedule a 'phone reading for you after you get back home, or we could book a reading for you with a different reader...", or, they could have told me that they didn't book readings via e-mail, and that I should call instead. But, there wasn't a word from them.

No one likes being ignored, but, hey, I'm a big girl, I can take a little slap in my face. I called the store; Sallie Ann answered. She was very nice. She told me that she was booked for the next month and a half. I wondered why she'd answered the 'phone since she was so busy. Still, I figured, perhaps, she found a few spare minutes in between readings. After all, I don't know how she operates, therefore, who am I to judge her?

She wrote down my number and told me that Fatima would call me so I could book a reading with her.

Fatima called. As soon as we exchanged our pleasantries, she jumped at me telling me that she wouldn't be able to read for me toward the end of next month; she'd be out of country. I told her that I wasn't calling about anything toward the end of next month; I was calling in order to schedule a reading for days from now (days from back then).

When I told her that I wanted to book a reading for my husband and myself, she asked me if there was a particular reason why I wanted her to read us together. Needless to say (but, I'll say it nevertheless), I didn't like the question. I asked her if there was a particular reason why she'd asked me that question. (What are you going to do?, you must be cunning). She told me that she didn't work that way. When I asked her "why not?", I heard a lot of words coming out of her mouth, but I did not hear an answer to my question. Since I didn't want to beat an answer out of her, I said that it was just my preference, that it didn't have to happen that way. So, we left it at that.

A week later, my husband and I were at the store. Sallie Ann greeted us. Again, she was very nice. And, again, she was answering the 'phone. I wondered why she hadn't hired someone to do that. After all, any idiot can perform such a banal job. Why was she wasting her precious time and talent instead of helping people who wanted a reading with her? But, again, who am I to judge her? Perhaps her crystal ball was at a shop; needed some repair. Okay, now I'm being a bit mean. I'm sorry.

Fatima showed up. I told her that I wanted to go first (30 minutes for me, 30 minutes for my husband), but I wanted my husband to be present during my reading, and that I would like to be present during his reading. She said that she had already told me that she didn't work that way. Well, not exactly. Originally, I wanted her to read us together, this time I wanted her to read us individually with the other person being in the same room. Once again:" But, I already told you..."

Well, I didn't ask her to repeat (again and again) what she'd already told me, but to explain her reasoning. I mean, I'd gotten couple's readings and even group readings before, why was she making such a big deal out of it without offering any explanations?
Alas!

Anyway, she and I went into the room. The first sentence out of her mouth sounded so- - - , that it rattled my brain. Believe it or not, I blamed myself. I thought that I had shut off my mind because I didn't like the woman. I said:" Although I consider myself an intelligent person, and although I understood every word you'd said, individually, all the words put together in one sentence, did not make any sense". She said: " In the next three weeks, or three months, or three years, you'll have to make a decision on if you're going to go this way or that way".

Knowing that we all have to make small and big decisions every day, I told her that it applied to everyone in the world. " Well, if you think so, I won't waste any more of your time" - was her reply. Then, she got up.

My husband was waiting by the desk at which Sallie Ann was sitting. I told him:" We just didn't click. Do you want to give it a shot? ". Before he had a chance to answer, Fatima said: " No". Obviously, she was pouting. I had dared to question her. How rude! (By the way, I'm one hundred per cent sure that my husband would have said :" No, thanks".) Sallie Ann did not utter a word.

And, I left something positive for the end of my story. Sallie Ann blessed a pendant for my mother - free of charge. I offered "little something, at least", she declined. Once again, thank you, Sallie Ann.

3  Thank MVE2014
Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

I adore Priestess Manbo Sallie Ann Glassman and Gary. The space is beautiful especially Ricardo Pustino's Marie Laveau right before the entrance. So many things are offered here. Not touristy. Healing. Very knowledgeable and credible people. Her art is beautiful and her gifts are divine. If you are In New Orleans definitely go!

1  Thank Erin R
Reviewed 17 February 2016 via mobile

Sally Ann Glassman is wonderful to meet, her readings are beautiful down to earth and reasonable .. The store is small but packed with lovely things for every taste or subject . She's not always in and you should book ahead for a meeting .

1  Thank Kristos T