“Expensive ripoff”

Add it.
Island of Salvation Botanica
Ranked #57 of 253 Shopping in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Haitian art, ritual candles, incense and fortune telling in the heart of The Bywater.
Reviewed 21 May 2015

Oils are petroleum based, bulk herbs are so old, they have no medicinal value left, entire store is just to promote the owner's bad art and very personal, incorrect beliefs of an ancient religion. Go if you don't mind spending a lot on very little.

4  Thank SimbiPetwo

Reviewed 20 March 2015

Really enjoyed visiting the New Orleans Healing Center where the Botanica is located, and seeing the dedication of the International Shrine of Marie Laveau there, which is right next to the Botanica. Great place overall!

3  Thank Marge S
Reviewed 10 January 2015

I loved this little spot! I wanted to find a spiritual/metaphysical shop with some authenticity, and this was definitely it! So much to look at within the small space, that I didn't know where to start! They had a lot more unique items than the shops in the French Quarter area, which felt overly commercial to me. Lots of herbs, oils, crystals, pendelums, books, candles,etc. I was able to find some great items at reasonable prices. There was also a super adorable (and rather large) dog that hangs out in the store. I am an animal lover, so I enjoyed meeting the dog and giving her a rub, but just a tidbit I wanted to share in the event you visit and are not so fond of dogs. If you are into these types of stores then definitely seek them out. If you are not.. then don't even bother, as they don't deserve anything other than a good review for being a hidden treasure.

4  Thank hisinc
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I have to say that my personal relationship with Sally made this trip well worth while. she was setting up for a perastile that evening. we say the chalking on the floor, the installation of the pole and even got a reading. I suggest you go to the Isle of Salvation and let sister sally tell you all about your future. you'll be glad you did.

2  Thank ausetkmt
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Whether you are a practitioner or just curious, this place is top notch. If you want a touristy store, this isn't for you. There are tons of shops in the French Quarter that would satisfy the tourist itch. I had to take a taxi away from our hotel to get here (address listed here is wrong-look up on their site; I only found it by accident). I'm so glad I found it. Sallie was there, but was booked; very nice lady. She called two other readers to see if they could do a reading for me, and luckily Fatima was available. All I can say is that she was pretty spot on. Open to questions and specific about time frames. Items in the store were also varied. A few books, but mostly candles, herbs, and powders. Some of the stuff is hard to come by-recommend all around.

3  Thank raquelaque