“Overwhelmed in a Good Way!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Island of Salvation Botanica
Ranked #57 of 253 Shopping in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Haitian art, ritual candles, incense and fortune telling in the heart of The Bywater.
Reviewed 10 January 2015

I loved this little spot! I wanted to find a spiritual/metaphysical shop with some authenticity, and this was definitely it! So much to look at within the small space, that I didn't know where to start! They had a lot more unique items than the shops in the French Quarter area, which felt overly commercial to me. Lots of herbs, oils, crystals, pendelums, books, candles,etc. I was able to find some great items at reasonable prices. There was also a super adorable (and rather large) dog that hangs out in the store. I am an animal lover, so I enjoyed meeting the dog and giving her a rub, but just a tidbit I wanted to share in the event you visit and are not so fond of dogs. If you are into these types of stores then definitely seek them out. If you are not.. then don't even bother, as they don't deserve anything other than a good review for being a hidden treasure.

4  Thank hisinc

Reviewed 3 September 2014

I have to say that my personal relationship with Sally made this trip well worth while. she was setting up for a perastile that evening. we say the chalking on the floor, the installation of the pole and even got a reading. I suggest you go to the Isle of Salvation and let sister sally tell you all about your future. you'll be glad you did.

2  Thank ausetkmt
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Whether you are a practitioner or just curious, this place is top notch. If you want a touristy store, this isn't for you. There are tons of shops in the French Quarter that would satisfy the tourist itch. I had to take a taxi away from our hotel to get here (address listed here is wrong-look up on their site; I only found it by accident). I'm so glad I found it. Sallie was there, but was booked; very nice lady. She called two other readers to see if they could do a reading for me, and luckily Fatima was available. All I can say is that she was pretty spot on. Open to questions and specific about time frames. Items in the store were also varied. A few books, but mostly candles, herbs, and powders. Some of the stuff is hard to come by-recommend all around.

3  Thank raquelaque
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We did a reading there with Jeffrey (who was awesome) and was pretty accurate. It was about half an hour and quite different from the normal tarot/psychic reads. We would totally do it again!

2  Thank brigitteau
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 January 2014

On our recent trip to New Orleans we wanted to have our cards read and get a gris gris. We went to a variety of places and just didn't feel right. Some had the reading area right in the store and many were very commercial. There was so much information we didn't know where to start. I had read about this store before we went so we took a taxi out to go to it. It immediately felt right. Sally was a fountain of information and was so helpful in helping me chose the items I wanted for different people. We both had readings from Geoff and had some great insights. Mine was very interesting and I got some good insights from it. My friends sounded very accurate to her. Then we got Sally to make us Gris Gris bags. We picked them up a few days later and they are amazing. I had told her my intentions for what I would like to focus on and the bags are very different which would reflect that our intentions and desires are different. I feel that our experience there was very worthwhile and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in having a real experience and not a tourist one.

3  Thank Hilary D