All reviews common areas private bathroom swimming pool mid city streetcar stop french quarter cooked breakfast canal street bourbon st jazz fest nola bayou trolley charm courtyard uber
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Just came back from a 5 nights at India House and the only way to describe my stay is AWESOME! I arrived pretty late after a rather long drive from Memphis, TN, and was made to feel right at home by the staff. From booking my Plantation tour to giving me tips on restaurant and activities in the French Quarter to even recommanding a tattoo parlor so I could get a inked reminder of my Nola trip, the staff went above and beyound. A nice thank you to Allie who answered all my questions (and I had a lot!). I will definitely go back for my next trip.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank JaterGirl
Reviewed 27 May 2017

I have stayed at India house on several of my visits to New Orleans now, and while I have stayed at other hostels, I don't see myself staying anywhere else in the future, unless I somehow started living in 5 star hotels.

I haven't found anywhere else where a 20 dollar dorm bed gives you pool access, a great courtyard usually packed with travelers from all over the world, the occasional live music at the poolside stage, very decent hangover-smashing breakfast and five dollar dinners outback. You can hardly beat the price by getting your own groceries, and while I do have a budget when I travel, New Orleans isn't the place to spend your time shopping and cooking, its a place to savor the local cuisine. And while that involves hitting up a restaurant or two, it helps getting the breakfast and dinners out of the way as easily as this is, right in your backyard. I loved the setup. I spoke to a few people that were less excited about the cleanliness when we checked in on the same day, but after a couple of days of visiting the French quarter restaurants and bars, we came to the conclusion that this is about as clean as you can keep anything in this town, and that wed rather stay in a hostel and deal with that than pay 4 star prices for a hotel that doesn't have half the charm and atmosphere this place has. Who doesn't like pool parties with happy smiling faces from all over the world? Ive paid more just to access such parties themselves, and still had to get there and back from where I also had to pay to stay. I guess it always depends what youre looking for, but to me, this place is unbeatable.

Date of stay: December 2016
1  Thank oyvsol
Reviewed 25 May 2017

I had such a great time to "India House Hotel". I went there for 2 nights and my friends and I had a lot of fun. There is a lot of activities and we met a lot of people from around the world and different ages.
The hostel is very close from the tramway and downtown. The staff was really nice and helpful, good advices to us.
There is homemade breakfasts for 5 dollars every morings and mine was really good. There is a kitchen and everyone's can cook his own lunch/dinner.
And I fell in love in Taj Mahal, the hostel cat !

The bedrooms and bathrooms are really simple but everything was ok. for me.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2017

Possibly one of the worst hostels I stayed in in my whole six months of traveling. We read reviews and thought it would be great but it was literally awful. Immediately you walk in and think you are being gassed by a horrific gas smell. There is really awful terrible drawings and writing everywhere. I’m all for quirky cool art but this looked like a 5 year old had scribbled all over the walls and it was a mess. The rooms were in such a bad way, my room had huge holes in the walls and again terrible drawings/messages written all over the wall. The showers were pathetic and the people here were seriously wannabe hippies, yet soo unfriendly and pretentious. It was also definitely not the party place everyone makes it out to be on reviews, it was tame! We checked out a couple of days earlier as we just could not stand it. I honestly do not understand how reviews were so good for this place. I am 100% NOT a fussy person at all but this was terrible. I will however say there was ONE staff member who was really cool and welcoming. That's about it.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank KirstyM2299
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

This place is amazing. I made lifelong friends and had the absolute time of my life, stay here if you want to meet people and party. Rooms are so quirky and cool. We extended our stay because we were having so much fun! I always recommend this place to people visiting New Orleans. My favourite city in the world!

Date of stay: May 2016