All reviewscommon areasbooked a private roomlarge kitchenswimming poolown bathroommid cityfrench quartercooked breakfastthe main housecanal streettrolley stopjazz festbourbon stnolabayoucharmcourtyard
Reviewed 12 February 2009

I would say that this is the kind of hotel you go to simply to sleep and pehaps take a quick shower. Not much to it. The service simply tries to do its job, but they do not go the extra mile.

However, I have to say that it was clean, everything worked in our room and we did not have any issues.

All in all, it is simply a hotel that offers no excitement

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2008

I stayed at this place pre-K and it was really lovely, i had the time of my life there. everyone was friendly, the decorating was so cool, i liked the group parties and meals and it felt really safe and nothing got stolen from our room even though we just left stuff around. mid city was beautiful then and a fun trip to the FQ.
at the time it was great, but i havent been there post-K and the neighborhood really is terrible now. how sad, i hate Katrina with all my heart!

• Stayed: June 2004
Reviewed 14 November 2008

I've stayed at hostels all over the world for the past 25 years and this was the filthiest dump I've ever seen. It should be condemned.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2008

We spent 4 nights at India House and regretted every minute of it. The "staff" couldn't really be bothered to be friendly and we felt like we were imposing on them by asking to check in.

Our private room was a tiny cabin in the garden, with only just enough room for a bed, and we had to go to another building to use the bathroom.

We were shocked when we asked if we would be provided with towels, or could hire them, and were rudely told that we would have to buy them for $5 each, something we have never encountered at other hostels.

The hostel is incredibly noisy. Music blares through speakers most of the time, and guests (and staff) don't realise that some people might actually want to sleep. As our "private" room was in the garden/party area, we were kept awake by music, shouting and loud phone conversations for large parts of the night.

India House seems to attract a weird bunch of travellers. Every time we walked through the hostel we were met by staring, unfriendly people who seemed to just lounge around in front of the TV all day and have no interest in seeing what the city had to offer.

The hostel is in an area badly affected by Katrina and is semi-derelict and pretty rough. There is nothing around (shops, restaurants etc), it's badly lit, and it's quite a long streetcar ride into town, which you might not want to take late at night.

We ended up moving to a fairly reasonable hotel in the French Quarter for our last two nights in New Orleans and wished we'd been there the whole time.

It's amazing that some people seem to be happy to pay to stay at India House. If you want to enjoy your time in a great city (and not dread going back to your accommodation), find somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2008

I can definitely see what some of the critics are saying about this hostel. It was my first time staying in a hostel and I was a bit put off at first by the bunk beds you had to make yourself and the fact that you have to share a space. But that being said, I only stayed one night and I got over this very quickly. When I got there the girl who gave me the room was a bit “reserved” (she forgot to give me linens!) and most of the people kept to their selves. I went out and came back and the people at the front desk were SO nice! So I get what people are saying about the staff being rude, but obviously wherever you go there are going to be people who you click with and those who you don’t. When I woke up the next morning it seemed like everyone wanted to talk to me and I practically had to force myself to leave. This place is incredible ascetically. There is amazing artwork everywhere and this funky bohemian vibe. It was very clean. None of the showers were available….And I assure you I am a total prima donna but the laid back vibe must have gone to my head because it didn’t really bother me much. Somebody broke one of the showers and they were fixing it the next morning while I was leaving so don’t listen to what people say about it being run down. The atmosphere was intoxicating and I will definitely stay there the next time I go to NOLA. I loved this place!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo