“just simply brilliant”
Review of India House Hostel

India House Hostel
Reviewed 8 June 2011

this is the best, laid back and hippy hostel i have been to for a long time. it simply oozes new orleans and is very down to earth. as far as interior is concerned, it is clean, has the amenities you need and is really quirky. the hostel has brilliant nooks and crannys for you to sit and relax in. outside they have ample tables and chairs and a pool which looked cared for. they do an amazing breakfast selection for a small price and the food is fresh and well cooked. the rooms were clean, basic and had functioning air conditioning; everything a traveller needs.

as far as location, its not in the french quarter but it has a tram stop right outside that takes you directly into the french quarter. this helps with feeling safe too as the stop is so close to the hostel you get on and off right outside the hostel and have a stones throw to the front door.

i would recommend this hostel to people of all ages if you like the 'backpacker' , laid back and slightly hippy atmosphere. its great to meet people and get into the New Orleans spirit!

Room Tip: book quick!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank sibbers83

Reviewed 20 May 2011

I have been traveling around the USA for over two months. The first time I needed to change dates for personal reasons was my trip to New Orleans. The staff is not enabled to make or change any reservations by phone. I was told to me email to change any reservations. I emailed on Friday that if possible, I would like to change my reservation to be one day later. After 24 + hours, I still did not receive any response to my inquiry. I called back the next day and the woman told me she would try to let the manager know. No response. We called again on Sunday. We were told again that they couldn't help me. We explained that we were supposed to come the very next day and that it was urgent to let us know as soon as possible. She told us that the manager "has another job so he might not be reading our email". As a marketing person, this is a horrible response and an inexcusable way to ignore our email. We left our phone number twice to hope for a quick response.

As it turns out, we never ever received a response about my inquiry. Due to personal reasons, we still made it, with a 15 hour drive. As mentioned, in over 2 months, we've not needed to change anything, this was an extenuating circumstance. Poor, poor management. If I wouldn't have lost out $20 on my reservation fee, I would have cancelled by Sunday.

In other reviews, my room had no fire alarm. It was removed. The fan above looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 10 years, and the shower curtain was moldy and gross. Internet was painfully slow.

Noise level was fine, and the rooms were definitely adequate minus the complaints above. We were absorbed in New Orleans, so most of our time was spent out of the hostel. The location is close to a street car which was very convenient. Also, free parking. However, I can't recommend a hostel to others with such poor management and such inconsideration for it's customers.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The staff were friendly right away. They take you on a tour of everything around the hostel. The room was a 12 bed mixed. but only 4 beds per section. Plenty of room and spacious. Bed's creaked a little. Free internet was excellent all the time. The Pool was excellent for relaxing in the sun. Kitchen was a little small but never had any problems in terms of space. I would like to maybe see them put on some tours perhaps? The only bad thing came from one staff member who ran the night shift, some old guy who was just not helpful at all and I've heard other people complain about him from people who have stayed. It wasn't to hot at night for me staying there but I do here the rooms get hot. The Tram is right around the corner and a few minutes ya'll be in New Orleans for good times!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2011

An excellent hostel with everything you need, also very well decorated, fantastic atmosphere, good location (35 min walk to French qtr) friendly staff, too many good things to say about this place- ignore bad reviews it's awesome

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank gseward
Reviewed 3 April 2011

This was my first true hostel experience (although I have stayed in some really sketchy "hotels" in Indonesia, for instance) and also my first time traveling alone. Tulane Law school recommended the hostel to me to stay while i was touring their campus and I was very happy they did. The atmosphere was amazing, the staff was friendly and helpful and the people there were extremely welcoming. The sheets and room were clean, the shower was hot, and there was always free coffee and cereal available. They also will make you breakfast for every cheap. The backyard has a pool and great areas to lounge and use the free wifi (which I had no problems with) and there was even a stage. Not sure if this is the norm but a traveling 10 person jazz band performed Friday night which was quite a treat. I felt very safe and found people to go out with in the french quarter from the hostel via walking or the street car which was in sight from the front door. I stayed in the 6 person all female dorm in a bunk bed and the door locked and everyone had their own key. I loved this whole experience and highly recommend this hostel. Make friends, have great conversations, enjoy the jazz music.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo