“Very Kind & Informative” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Elysian Fields Inn
Ranked #6 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
wisconsin
“Very Kind & Informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I must say that I felt welcome from the first minute I got there. They give you as much or little information that you would need to have a fantastic experience! They cooked breakfast, answered any question I had, chatted with us during breakfast, offered advice for food & music and even made reservations for us on tours. The area is around the corner from fantastic music venues! The area is very close to everything you would want to see & do. Thanks for the wonderful experience!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

That's usually what I shoot for.

The price was a lot but still one of the better deals I found for a place during Mardi Gras. It was actually the best deal I found so I took it.

We arrived at 11 pm and one of the Inn Keepers, Jim, waited up for us to get there to check us in. He also let us park our truck in the garage which was really nice of him considering the parking situation during Mardi Gras. He gave us some info on the parades and an extra handout on tips for staying in New Orleans during Mardi Gras like which cabs to take and a reminder to stay hydrated. Cute!

On a shelf next to the bed there were some eye masks and ear plugs. The ear plugs really came in handy the first night we were there because it was a little loud outside. The bathroom had little samples of Aveda products. The bath salts were nice in the jacuzzi tub after a long day/night of walking around the French Quarter. The room also had bottled water and glasses.

It was about a 10 minute walk to the Quarter and only a couple blocks from Frenchman St.

They cooked breakfast every morning from 8 to 10 if I remember correctly. One morning we had pancakes and sausage, another morning we had scrambled eggs and bacon, and our last morning there they made a Strata that was delicious. Jim is a great cook!

I never had an issue with room service or anything when I was there. There was a sign in the bathroom that said if you want to re-use the towels, hang them up. If you want new ones, leave them in the tub. Any time I left towels in the tub they were always replaced with clean ones. The house itself and the room we were in was very clean. The bed was SOOO comfortable.

I think this is a great place for people of all ages and whatever lifestyle. I can't wait to go back to New Orleans when it's not so crazy. I would absolutely stay at Elysian Fields again.

Room Tip: Room 209 is upstairs so it's quieter and it also has a jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skylahnite
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is a quiet and comfortable B & B situated just outside the French Quarter. It is a short walk to Frenchman St and no problem to walk into the French Quarter. The hosts Leigh and Jim are helpful and happy to give advice and the breakfasts were fairly good. There are comfortable common areas in the house and out on the front porch. This is a good location for people interested in visiting the music clubs on Frenchman St.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms can be a bit noisy when people come in late at night.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Maccyoz
Reading, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights during Mardi Gras. When we originally booked, we wanted to stay 7 nights, but they didn't give any kind of discount for the 7 nights or for the nights after Mardi Gras when most people were leaving anyway (bad business decision on their part),so we stayed elsewhere the last 2 nights for less than half price.

The location is outside the French Quarter and it was a 2 mile walk each day to the parades. The heart of the French Quarter was a little over a mile away. It's hard to get a taxi during Mardi Gras season or the popular events in town... so wear really good shoes!

The innkeepers were nice, but you could tell they are REALLY burned out. They do it all themselves and they really need to hire some help. They looked tired and you could feel them rushing around all the time. They did give us a heads up on a few events we might not have known about, but all our most valuable tips and advice came from other locals we talked to and not the innkeepers (best spots for the parades, rules around town, best things to do on Mardi Gras). I think this is a good inn for people maybe 50 years and older.

When you stay at a B&B, you expect some neat little extras. When we got to our room, we saw there were 2 bottles of water and some nice toiletries like a tiny jar of bath salts. Well, that's all we got. We were there 6 days and you'd think we'd get more soap or maybe another one of those tiny little shampoo bottles? At over $200/night, I want my soap and shampoo, darn it!

Breakfast is very boring. You get 2 choices- yogurt & fruit and most often scrambled eggs & 2 pieces of the thinnest bacon you'll ever have (I could see through them!). One morning, they had pancakes, but ran out??? before we came down. How do you run out of pancakes? They aren't even that expensive or difficult to make and we weren't even the last ones down there. That was disappointing. And one other morning, they had a strata and the piece they gave me was so tiny (and I'm a 120lb woman who doesn't really eat that much!) that I kind of wanted more! I mentioned that the strata was good and it would be great to have some more and I guess she ran out or didn't want to give me anymore.. what you get is what you get.

I get the impression these innkeepers are in over their heads and don't really enjoy what they do as much as they might have expected. They shouldn't be penny-pinching so much in this industry if they want to stand out.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank landladytina
innkeeperNewOrleans, Owner at Elysian Fields Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
First I would encourage review readers to read more then this one review and upon doing so they will see that it is an outlier.

Prices for the Mardi gras weekend are higher as it is a Festival Event…not just at the Inn but at most all lodging in the city. This guest had many choices for lodging and chose the Inn…I find it a little disingenuous to be complaining about price after the fact. We do not give any discounts for Festival Events no matter how long the guest stays but our rates revert back to our rack rates after the event.

All of our guest rooms are out fitted with Aveda toiletries and bottled water when you check in and unlike many large Hotels we do not charge $2.00 a bottle for the water. And, we are happy to replace any of the amenities in your room at your request. So many people bring their own toiletries that they don’t need or want ours. But ask and you shall receive! FYI…this room was $189.00 a night for two not over $200.00.

We are not burnt out (but I did have a conversation with this guest where I told here how we were still doing it all since Katrina but looking forward to a time in the near future when we could hire a little more help) and we love what we do…we were rushing around, it was Mardi Gas and we had 20 people in the Inn. Mardi gras brings a diverse group with many different objectives. Some want to stay out all night and sleep all day, some want to do the opposite so our normal routine has to be adjusted to accommodate the needs of our different guests.

Our guest got it wrong on the distances from the Inn to Jackson Square and beyond to the parade route which is on Canal Street. It is not over a mile to the heart of the French Quarter! It is 1.2 miles from the Inn to Canal Street. This is the other side of the French Quarter. It is just a 15 minute walk to the Heart of the French Quarter Jackson Square.

As far as running out of Pancakes…I did and I was so embarrassed; in the six years I have been an Innkeeper it is the first time I have ever ran out of anything. The reason I did not make more had nothing to do with being cheap I just did not have any more buttermilk and could not. But, I certainly offered another hot choice. If our guests asked for more Strata I missed it…I had Strata leftover on Mardi gras day. I do apologize for that. Most guest like our breakfast, the breakfasts are not fancy, but good old fashioned home cooking. We do not and could not compete with the chefs of New Orleans.

Jim and I do not penny pinch and we certainly are not cheap; we always use the best of ingredients, provide Aveda Toiletries and always want our guests to leave in the morning with a great breakfast to start their day.

We love what we do, we love where we live and we love sharing it with our guests from all over the world.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed at the Elysian Fields Inn in October of 2011, for a solo stay before I met up with a group of girls for a NOLA bachelorette party, who were staying on much rowdier Bourbon. It was amazing and tranquil, just a short walk away from Frenchman Street in the Marigny, where it's all about the music and the food. The hosts, Leigh, Jim and sweet lab Zeke, were warm and welcoming, and full of suggestions. Charming Inn with comfortable rooms, Aveda bath products and my room had a jacuzzi tub. They have a beautiful front and back porch to enjoy the weather, and breakfast was delicious.

The Inn is just 3 blocks away from great music on Frenchman. Make time to visit Snug Harbor, d.b.a, Blue Nile, Apple Barrel's, or really any bars that have live music - you will not be disappointed. On a Thursday evening, I had a delicious dinner at The Three Muses, and was enchanted by the music the Luke Winslow King band, which sounded like a throwback from the 40s. Cyril Neville led a Second Line down to Blue Nile for his birthday party. And someone was barbequeing chicken on the street at 1am. This city's amazing.

Elysian Fields Inn is the perfect choice to escape the Bourbon madness and to stay closer to what NOLA really means for lovers of good music and food.

Room Tip: You may want to choose a room on the second floor if you are a late sleeper, due to guests chatting...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo