“The comfort of home in the Big Easy - I'll return!”

The Parisian Courtyard Inn
Ranked #26 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2011

My daughter lives in New Orleans and I visit there often, but this was an unexpected visit. .she had a serious injury and was facing possible surgery, and I needed to get there within 48 hrs. because of the circumstances, I didn't want to stay in the Quarter, so searched for a B&B near my daughter in the Lower Garden District. With this short notice, I was getting desperate after several No Vacancies. Then we talked to Jesse, the insure manager/owner at the Parisian, and explained my situation. Needless to say, he made room at the inn, and after a few days upgraded me when some guests checked out. He and his excellent houeskeeper kindly and generously tended to my every need, and every time I returned from care taking I felt a sigh of relief as if I was coming home. The house and patio are lovely and comfortable, every room has access to a balcony or the patio, the breakfasts are delicious with the best croissants and fresh fruit in New Orleans. There are always treats of some kind in the beautiful double parlor for guests. It is a great location, quiet yet a block from the St. Charles parade route and street car. I have never stayed at a B&B before, and always stayed in the Quarter, but The Parisian will definitely be my choice on return trips.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Crabcake_11
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Parisian Courtyard Inn

Reviewed 23 March 2011

My partner & I stayed at the Parisian March 16-20. Many hotels were booked but rooom 10 in the Parisian was available. The reviews online were mixed so that did concern me..although many of the reviews were quite old.
The common rooms and the bedrooms have all been beautifully restored & furnished. Room 10 may be the quietest room since it is on the 3rd floor (2 1/2 flights of stairs). We had a chance to peak into a couple of the other rooms and they appear to be equally nice. The downstairs is well done & whoever did the work, had an excellent eye for scale; and for including lots of details without over doing it.
We interacted primarily two people - Jesse, the manager and Rose, the housekeeper. Both are friendly but not too forward. Jesse seems to make an effort to spend time with each set of guests who come down for breakfast, but he isn't a overly chatty person.
Breakfast included fresh cut fruit, cereals (Post, Kashi, Organic), muffins, breads, croissants, etc. All in all, a good continental breakfast. The housekeeper, Rose, kept the house very clean.
Location was good in that it was away from the chaos of the french quarter, but close enough for a short trolly ride in. (We enjoyed the inn so much, we spent more time than we expected there.)
Only suggestions that I would have for improvement were for them to use real china & silverware from breakfast rather than plastic & paper; and do a better job of presenting the cereals (you pour from the cereal boxes.)
The inn does have some outside seating, but the layout doesn't encourage using it particularly.
Two days we did take advantage of the free gym access at the St. Charles Athletic Club. (It was a miracle for us to go to the gym twice during a New Orleans trip!)
Overall, I'd give the property a A- or B+. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank earthboyfl
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I first off would like to point out the great ime we had the first time we stayed here. I was August 2010. My boyfriend, dog and I stayed her for 4nights. It was an off season so we were one of only a couple rooms booked. Side note: they don't serve breakfast on the off season. So much for Bed and Breakfast.

When we first got to the room we initially picked, Jessie gave us a choice to move to a room on the ground level for our dog. We said ok and moved rooms. The second room smelled heavily of smoke. It was so bad my boyfriend had to leave the room because he had a hard time breathing. Jessie quickly moved us to his largest room with its own balcony. The rate was the same for a smaller room. Great Right? I was.

Jump to December....not that long. A day before we left for the trip, Jessie called us to make sure we were still coming because of the weather. I specifically said, "Yep. Me, the boyfriend and THE DOG are still coming." So we drive 6 hours and make our way to the front desk where a short, angry man named "Mack" told us they they no longer allow dogs and we needed to take her to a kennel....wtf. I can not describe in writing how rude this guy was. After speaking to the housekeeper, Mack apparently is the other owner. Later we find out from Jessie that Mack "isn't allowed to talk to customers." This would have been nice to know.

After finding out they changed the pet policy 5 minutes before we walked in, Mack proceeds to, in the rudest tone you can amagine, make a deal with us on prices. First he said they would cover the cost of boarding. Then he said he would make the rate $75 a night. We couldn't have both. I am usually the type of person who will put up with crap like this but Mack's tone was so rude I told my boyfriend he might need to pull me off Mack.

Once agreeing on the money, we get ready to pay him. You know..since he is one of the owners and he is going over prices with us. Whoa, whoa, whoa! He doesn't handle money and we have to wait for Jessie to come back in 2hours!.

"it's a confusing place isn't?!" this is from the housekeeper to me when venting all of this to her.

We were supposed to stay an extra day but becasue we felt bad that we had to send our dog off to a pet resort instead of spending the time with us and devoting the trip to spending time all together, we decided to held home early. Jessie looked very annoyed when I told him.

Also, do not expect you room to be cleaned. We stayed four days and the trash wasn't taken out, new towels weren't given and linens weren't changed the entire time. What a change from August.

I would suggest to anyone thinking about staying here to think again. It is a great location, a great looking space but they really screw you over. This entire event ruined our new years, ruined our time in nola. This place is not worth the hassle you get from the owners.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank njd008
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The hotel is located very good, near downtown. The room is really clean and comfortable, there's AC, a small fridge and in some rooms, a bathtub. You even get to have cable and wireless internet. BUT, besides there's no such thing as what they call "continental breakfast" (which is only some coffee and a bottle of orange juice on the kitchen's fridge), YOU GET ROBBED AT THE CHECK OUT. That's right, they are thieves. This guy, Jessie, such a nice guy at first, so kind and so friendly, would charge you twice or even thrice as much as it was supposed to be. I stayed for two nights, with 96 dollars per night, it really should have been 192 dollars, tax included. But he charged 576 DOLLARS, as if I had stayed there 6 NIGHTS!! The first thing i did was to call Jessie and give my complain, getting only a "this is harassment, you can't keep on calling me like this, I'm gonna hung up" and he hung up. I keep on calling him and he wouldn't answer his phone nor the hotel phone. Finally, he turned both phones off and got away with my money. So, DO NOT STAY AT THE PARISIAN COURTYARD INN IN NEW ORLEANS... YOU'LL GET ROBBED!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
12  Thank WORLDTRAVELER34515
A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed 24 May 2004

Nice place to stay. On the edge of the Garden District, block from street car (not a trolly) that takes you to the quarter. Tom was full of great advice for where to eat and what to do.

Stayed three times over two months while interviewing and house hunting in the area.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member