“Innovative vegan food ”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went to Carmo after a yoga class nearby and was very impressed with their vegan options. The place is casual and very friendly. Order at the counter and sit wherever you want. I went back two more times in a week and loved it!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

When you pick a restaurant from a TripAdvisor recommendation there's always the possibility that it's only subjective and the writer has a totally different perspective than yours.
But with fairly consistent reviews eating at Carmo was likely to be a good choice especially since my wife and wanted to eat more wholesome, sustainable and vegetarian style (although not vegetarian ourselves) foods.
We were not disappointed.
I can heartedly recommend the quinoa and black salad, curry (chicken in my case) which was served with a fabulous coconut relish and pecan and chocolate cake.
The atmosphere of Carmo is subdued with light background music and a/c that's pleasant without being cold that's so typical of many restaurants.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend is vegan and I'm doing my best to make the conversion. This place made it easy. Started off with a watermelon and serrano pepper beverage balanced to perfection(I bartended for 15 years, this guy nailed it) then we got the Rico and a Plpian verde both done vegan. The hot salsa is pretty spicy but it balances the sweetness of the Rico out, so I recommend asking for a side of that. I really enjoyed my experience here. Special thanks to the staff

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

What a great place- very cool vibe and excellent creative food . This place has so many different t options- excellent for vegetarians and pescatarians! Each meal was special - try the sweet potatoes fritters, kotta, ahi tuna and red beans and rice. The chef even came by the ask what we thought about our meal
We will definitely be back !!

Reviewed 19 August 2017

My husband is a vegetarian so we were excited to try Carmo after reading all of the good reviews. We stopped in for lunch and ordered a smoked tuna sandwich and the broken noodle salad. Service at the counter was friendly, atmosphere/decor was pleasant, clean and modern. I was very happy to find that they had air conditioning because I had read in an earlier review that they did not. There were a good amount of tasty sounding choices on the lunch menu. The problem started when our lunch took a bit longer than expected considering they were not very busy. When our lunch finally arrived, we were given a salad with tuna on top instead of a tuna sandwich. I told the waitress that this was not the correct order and she actually seemed like she did not believe me, so I told her about how the person who took our order asked if I wanted sourdough bread. (I shouldn't have to prove that I did not get what I asked for!) She seemed very irritated, but said she would fix the mistake. The sandwich was served to us fairly quickly, but without a word of apology. The smoked tuna had a nice flavour, but the bread was quite dry, the broken noodle salad was good. My husband and I were very turned off by the rude server and unfortunately even amazing food could not make me go back there. Also, we had already tipped upon ordering.

My final thoughts are that you should skip this place and eat at Meals From the Heart Cafe in the French Market if you want some amazing vegan and vegetarian food with super friendly service. We ate there twice.

CafeCarmo, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

There is never an excuse for anyone being rude, and I definitely won't put up with it. We hope you'll return to see that your experience is in no way representative of our staff.