Despite having a few good qualities this hostel lacks severely in two fundamental areas which I think makes a good hostel. These are the atmosphere and location.
The atmosphere I would best describe as a social hub for large groups of Americans and very few international travellers. During our stay we unfortunately had the company of approx 20 very inconsierate Jewish school children. They were on some kind of school trip and invited lots friends into the hostel and completed dominated the kitchen and common area. The were doing lots of group homework sessions and preaching in the small common area about God and life. This group combined with the various large groups of wanabe FRAT boys meant that nobody in this hostel were interested in meeting others but using it as a base for a group holiday. Definately not ideal if you are a young couple (25-35) looking to meet like minded travellers.
The location is also poor. It is 20 minute walk to the street car and a further 15 minute street car ride into the centre of New Orleans. It is NOT a 25 but at least a 45 minute walk to the French Quarter. This hostel is not really close to anything. It is right in the middle of a residential neighbourhood.
Good qualities about this hostel was the free shuttle, staff were OK and it was pretty clean with constant cleaning throughout the day.
As someone looking to meet other travellers who likes to be centrally located I would certainly not reccommend this hostel. My advice - LOOK ELSEWHERE.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are AAE Bourbon House Mansion and Hostel, located only 18 minutes walking to the French Quarter and famous "Bourbon Street". In the "lower Garden District" we are 5 minutes walk to the Convention Center and the only Guest House/ Hostel that provides a FREE Shuttle to and from Greyhound and Amtrack. We also have airport shuttle for as low as $15 a person. All guests, either dorm beds or deluxe private rooms get to enjoy FREE BREAKFAST, Free Internet, Free Shuttles, Free Parking and a great Guest House full of European Travelers that create an exciting environment. We welcome all ages and have private rooms for families that sleep up to 8 people available. We are the "top rated" hostel in New Orleans and there is a reason for that... because were the best choice from the traveling public viewpoint! Come stay with us and be happy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aae Bourbon House Mansion Hotel New Orleans
- Aae Bourbon House Mansion And Hostel