“Don't book if your a travelling couple!! + bad location”

AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Despite having a few good qualities this hostel lacks severely in two fundamental areas which I think makes a good hostel. These are the atmosphere and location.

The atmosphere I would best describe as a social hub for large groups of Americans and very few international travellers. During our stay we unfortunately had the company of approx 20 very inconsierate Jewish school children. They were on some kind of school trip and invited lots friends into the hostel and completed dominated the kitchen and common area. The were doing lots of group homework sessions and preaching in the small common area about God and life. This group combined with the various large groups of wanabe FRAT boys meant that nobody in this hostel were interested in meeting others but using it as a base for a group holiday. Definately not ideal if you are a young couple (25-35) looking to meet like minded travellers.
The location is also poor. It is 20 minute walk to the street car and a further 15 minute street car ride into the centre of New Orleans. It is NOT a 25 but at least a 45 minute walk to the French Quarter. This hostel is not really close to anything. It is right in the middle of a residential neighbourhood.
Good qualities about this hostel was the free shuttle, staff were OK and it was pretty clean with constant cleaning throughout the day.
As someone looking to meet other travellers who likes to be centrally located I would certainly not reccommend this hostel. My advice - LOOK ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

This hostel is located in a suburb just out from New Orleans touristy districts. About a 10-minute walk to Walmart, Cafes and the Streetcar that gets you to Canal Street (then roughly 10-minute walk to French Quarter).

Stayed in a private room, was small but fine for the price. Beds were okay. Bathrooms were pretty average, old but acceptable cleanliness. Did see a few bugs here and there but summer in New Orleans, it's a bit grungey so you're gonna expect that.

You're supplied with a common room and it's pretty easy to meet other travellers - we met some great people to venture out at night with which is what you need in this city. There's also a kitchen but didn't really use it as you're gonna be out trying all the flavours NOLA has to offer.

They have a noise curfew which is good because after spending all day and all night out you're gonna want somewhere chilled to relax. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jumbz55
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I booked 2 nights in a dorm bed over the phone. When I arrived they only had one night booked and said they didn't have a vacancy for the next night.
THEN they did, then they didn't, then they said they definitely did but they couldn't tell me which dorm until the afternoon.
THEN they didn't again, after I had waited until the afternoon - the guy on the desk said "I can say anything if I'm doing something else" - he couldn't care less.
THEN they had a private room for twice the price - when I said they had mucked me around and should really offer it to me for the same price they said "take it or leave it".
THEN they said they have a POLICY OF NO-ONE OVER 40 - ISN'T THAT ILLEGAL ???
THEN a young miss in the office told me I had 5 minutes to leave because she overheard me talking to an acqaintance about the situation.
THEN she said "no" when I asked them to call me a cab.
THEN they tried to get out of paying me back my key deposit. DON'T RISK IT.

Room Tip: tHE HOSTEL WILL DOUBTLESS TRY TO REFUTE THIS - BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. I have stayed in h...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank F P
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed there for five days, and that is literally the worst hostel I have stayed in ever!!!
the name is bourbon, but it's way far from bourbon, it's in the middle of nowhere
I saw a HUGE cockroach!
and the attitude of the stuff there was terrible, really rude!
also, the beds were extremely dangerous! they were really tall and there were no fence to keep you from dropping! and some are not by the wall, they are in the middle of the room.
by the way, there are no windows in the room
the soundproof of the wall is awful!
in a word, this is a terrible hostel!!!!!!!!!!!! it ruined my experience in New Orleans.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chen G
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This hostel was the final destination of our road trip. I kinda liked staying here, but that was more because I got used to this place after a couple of days. However, if I would go back to New Orleans, I would reconsider this hostel again. Let's agree: it's so cheap! And to be honest, what you get for that price is very reasonable. I loved the pancake breakfast and the spacious terrace behind the main building. It was very nice to sit there and chillax. We switched rooms 3 times (due to our late booking) and the first two were so so. The first one was small, with no windows, which made it hard to breathe at night. It got very hot in there, although we went in December. The second room was a dorm, with a separate entrance at the street. Hot as well. For one night it was ok, but I would have hated it if I had to stay there for a longer time. You have to enter the street first if you wanna go to the bathroom. Very inconvenient in the middle of the night especially. Oh, there was also no internet connection there. The last room was GREAT! It had a window and a comfy bed! Liked staying here for my last couple of nights. Room 11 it was!

The location is ok. It's very far from the French Quarter and the nearest street car stop is a ten minute walk, which is fine, but not late at night. Reconsider cabs! However, it's close to Walmart and Magazine Street!

Again: fun and great hostel for the price you have to pay! Miss the pancakes and the other guests over there.

Room Tip: Don't go for that big dorm room on the streets if you want a relaxing trip. We especially loved...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends