“Excellent stay”

AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Great hostel, area felt very safe. 10 min walk to the St Charles Street Car to take you to the French Quarter. Comfortable room, very clean. Lovely, helpful staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 2penguin4
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel

Reviewed 19 October 2011

This was a nice place to stay at a good price. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and there are all the normal amenities like a kitchen and laundry. The staff were also really lovely and accommodating - they switched me from a top to a bottom bunk when I asked (because I have a strange fear of crushing the person below me to death in the middle of the night - I don't know why).

My one bugbear is that there didn't seem to be any curfew for noise and that meant that I didn't get much sleep. The location is also just average. It's near the street car line but there are many more hostels/cheap hotels nearer the heart of the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We arrived by train and were picked up at the station by the hostel shuttle. The room was very small, concrete box but reasonably comfortable with AC that helped cut through the humidity. The shared bathroom was like a swamp.
Breakfast was okay, with pancakes and cereal available.
Cheap backpacker's place with reasonable facilities.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My friend and I stayed at Bourbon House for 2 nights over the weekend. After being worried about location based on reviews I read on this site, the location was not a problem. It was a 10 min walk to the street car, or alternatively a $10 taxi from the French Quater. The owners where amazing, really accommodating and lovely and provided us with great suggestions for food and nightlife. My only negative comment is that the 6 person dorm we stayed in had NO window - this made sleeping pretty difficult as the room was extremely stuffy, there was a fan on the ceiling but with 6 people in one room and no ventilation, this did not do much. Other then that, great place and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure that you as for a room with a window!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

After such a bad experience at an AAE hostel in Boston which charged me an unexpected non-member fee after I had already booked it, I determined never to stay in another AAE hostel. I am super glad that I decided to give this one a chance because it was great in every way (including not charging a non-member fee). It is located in a nice neighborhood 6-8 blocks from a cheap city bus and streetcar. The staff is friendly and helpful, it is clean and secure and the pancake breakfast was a great touch! The only thing I didn't like was a $2.00 charge for lockers. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it highly to others.

Room Tip: They have a stange policy of not permitting older guests to reserve beds in dormitories, but if you...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo