“Awesome Mixologist - Brian Kientz”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #61 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had the amazing opportunity to be served by Brian in SoBou. The hotel and the bar are great but Brain was a real star that outshone any other server that we had during our stay in New Orleans. If you like spicy, ask him to make you his custom creation. He calls it the Drew and Ghost Pepper is one of the primary ingredients. Both he and his drink were awesome. I highly recommend both!

1  Thank Ted C
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Hello Ted C,
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us at W French Quarter and SoBou! Thank you for your kind comments about Brian! I will see that your praises are passed along to him. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to New Orleans!
James Wroblewski

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for W New Orleans - French Quarter

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Date of Stay: March 2014
Length of Stay: 1 night
Arrival Day: Friday

POSITIVES:
Location- The W New Orleans French Quarter is located in the Quarter but is removed from Bourbon Street by two blocks.

View from room- We were on the 4th floor (top floor) in a Fabulous Room with a balcony overlooking Chartres Street. The balcony had two chairs and a table.

Service and friendliness of employees- Everyone from the check-in agent, to the valet, to housekeeping, to the bartenders, to the check-out agent made us feel we were important to the W New Orleans French Quarter.

Cleanliness of room interior- The room and bath was spotless.

Water temperature & pressure- Pretty self-explanatory.

Climate control- Air conditioning worked great, a definite need in New Orleans!

Electrical outlet availability- Plenty of available outlets including four at the desk.

Quality of drinks from bar- SoBou is a bar that can make anything and the bartenders take great pride in their work.

Courtyard area - Lots of seating available in the courtyard area.

NEGATIVES:
Dirty furniture on balcony- The furniture, even though it appeared clean, left black marks on clothing. A quick cleaning with a wet tissue solved the problem. Housekeeping should wipe this furniture clean with each cleaning of the room, even if the furniture appears to be clean.

Lack of Do Not Disturb sign- When we returned to the room in the early morning hours, we discovered the room did not have a Do Not Disturb sign. We were not disturbed prior to our check-out but there should have been a sign available.

Breakfast- At breakfast I ordered whole wheat toast and was told they were out of whole wheat bread and “were waiting for a shipment”. SoBou is associated with Commanders Palace. With that pedigree, the restaurant should not run out of whole wheat bread. Send someone to buy a few loaves. I also ordered my eggs over-easy yet one of the yolks was hard. The potatoes, however, were great!

Overall, this was a very good stay. We have stayed at the W New Orleans French Quarter four times in the past eighteen months and I would not hesitate to return.

1  Thank controller01
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Hello controller01,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review for our property! We love showing our guests a great experience and look forward to hearing from them! We are excited to see you again upon your return trip to New Orleans!

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Had a four night stay at the W. First three nights fine in our room in the carriage house.

We were in room 333, one if the nicest rooms on the property built into an old carriage house. It has balconies at both the front and back. Fairly nicely updated with very modern decor. Tiny but serviceable bathroom.

Then came night number four.

The drunks in room 335 across the tiny hallway started in at 1am and are just now calming down at 3 am. Nothing like people yelling at the top of their lungs and thundering up and down the stairs to these adjoining rooms to facilitate sleep. Oh and crashing into their room service dishes that they had left on the landing.

These most expensive of rooms at this W have NO soundproofing and the commotion might as well be going on in my room.

And don't tell me the hotel didn't know. Staff was bringing requested stuff to the door at 2am.

Add a lovely musty smell that pervaded our room and you have a most wonderful mix of bad experiences.

I would steer completely clear of this property but if you just have to be here at least go for the cheaper but probably more secure rooms in the main building.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank nucleon

Hello nucleon,
I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed in your recent stay at W French Quarter. Thank you for taking the time to provide me with details on your stay. I will see that our evening staff be more conscious of these kind of matters in the future. Please accept my apology for your inconveniences. We hope to see you again upon your return to New Orleans to show you a better W experience.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I chose this hotel due their pet policy. I was greeted by a smiling face at the garage. Quentin was friendly and very helpful with my car, luggage, and pets. Check-in did not go as smoothly. Check in is at 3 PM, I arrived at 4PM. I was told there was no clean room available. I reminded the reception desk that their published check-in time was 3. After 25 minutes of waiting at the front desk and at least 4 trips by the receptionist to a room behind the reception desk the receptionist finally found a room. During this long process the reception staff was rude. The location is very central to the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter. Even in all this activity, my room was quiet and comfortable. I ordered room service for dinner. It was tasty and served with a smile. When I left the next morning Quentin was there to help me with my luggage, car, pets and gave me easy ti follow direction to I-10. Overall this property is comfortable, but the inconsistent service makes it only an average choice. I would stay there again due to the pet policy, but I would never stay there again if I was not traveling with pets.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello Jds5620,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. I'm sorry to hear you experience some issues during check-in and that your room wasn't ready upon your arrival. I will look into the matter and see that this issue is eliminated for future guests. I hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us and time in New Orleans. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to W French Quarter upon your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The W chain has its own style, but if you like the cooler and darker interior, more minimalistic approach - the W French Quarter is the right place to go. We had a fabulous room, facing the relaxing yard in the middle, which also holds a (small) pool. We had a balcony, which we love and need, because as Europeans we have to open the windows as soon as the weather allows ;-)

The service is NOLA-style super friendly and just to mention the best W receptionist we ever met: Lindsay is (was) there in March 2014 and went to extra length to make us super happy, welcome and pampered! Thanks!

The location is only steps away from Bourbon Street, close enough to go nuts at night or cross over to an upperclass supper at Mr. B - look that up here on tripadvisor, too! It is a VERY good restaurant close to the W.

Room Tip: Fabulous Rooms do have a balcony or terrace. Point that out in your reservations!

Hello tradebit,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent stay in New Orleans. I'm glad to hear you had such a great experience. I will pass along your kind comments to the rest of our staff and give your compliments to our Welcome Desk agent Lindsay. Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor! We hope to see you again upon your return trip to New Orleans!