“Riverbend/Carrolton Food Tour”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 76.78*
and up
Riverbend Carrollton Walking Food Tour in New...
Ranked #17 of 53 Food & Drink in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When you book one of our Riverbend- Carrolton New Orleans Food Tours, we'll show you the historic neighborhood's hidden culinary treasures, as well as modern New Orleans eateries. You'll take in the architecture of homes & churches, sip locally brewed beers, enjoy eccentricities in local oddity shops and end up toasting to the spirits in Lafayette Cemetery.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was pleasantly surprised by this tour, being that I booked the "Irish Channel Food Tour" through Trip Advisor, but was told upon confirming that it changed to the "Riverbend/Carrollton Food Tour" at a different meeting location. I didn't know what to expect. The meeting location is around the Tulane and Loyola University area, in a really beautiful, relaxed neighborhood. I got to see a part of New Orleans I would not have ventured to otherwise. The vibe was unhurried. Our guide Donnean was knowledgeable and we definitely did more eating than getting a "history of" New Orleans, which was fine by me. My advice is to not judge the food by the look of the restaurant. We ate at some places I wouldn't normally consider (like a sports bar and a pizza place), but the food was amazing. The catfish po boy and crawfish boil was the best I've ever had -- and I know my fish and crawfish. Portions here were huge. We then stopped to have shrimp and andouille sausage pizza which was delicious. The last stop was for Oysters Almondine which were heavenly. Dessert was from a local bakery, and also very tasty. What was nice about this tour is was that it was well paced, and you got a chance to enjoy and digest the food before going to the next location. You were never too full for that next bite and at the end of the food tour, you felt well fed. There was not a lot of walking, as the restaurants were close by. You got a sense that you were visiting with friends versus being herded along on a tour. We had 10 people in our group and it was a lovely time. I would recommend this tour, and give yourself time to get to the destination (about 1.25 hours by St. Charles streetcar if you are coming from French Quarter because of the many stops and about 20 minutes by cab/Lyft/Uber). The meeting spot on Maple is about 5 miles from the French Quarter. If you love great food, you can't go wrong with this food tour (but don't expect gumbo and pralines -- this tour is for a more discerning palate!)

1  Thank Rowena C
Nicolas J, Owner at Big Easy Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you, Rowena, for this very honest review. We really appreciate it. We hope that we were able to meet your expectations. Please do try our other tours as well.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"culture"
"nola"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Nicolas J, Owner at Big Easy Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We learned a lot and had fun. Started off with the traditional cat fish po' boy and boudin balls. My kids loved these. Our guide Donnean was teaching us all about New Orleans as we walked from place to place. Next up was delicious andouille and shrimp pizza with caramelized onions. At our third stop we had an amazing eggplant bread, fried and covered with a creamy crab sauce. My eight-year-old was a bit skeptical of that, but my ten-year-old thought it was wonderful. At the last stop the cupcakes, red velvet cake and smoothies were a huge hit. There were local stories to go with each dish and only a total of five of us on the tour along with our hostess, who is full or energy and a delight. It is not too far from place to place, but nice to get in some walking to have time to digest and see the neighborhood. It is very low key, far from the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter. These are not super-fancy restaurants so I was comfortable having children present. It was a great success.

1  Thank Catherine B

Hello Catherine! We're really happy that your kids enjoyed their experience with us. We hope to see you all again next time here in Secret Food Tours. Please join us again and visit our other Secret Food Tours - now in over 20 world-wide cities.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Wonderful guide. Great food choices. I was pleasantl6 surprised by the selection of restaurants, and the attentiveness of th3 guide. She had lots o& stories to share so the group felt like we were long time friends. The food portions were enough and filling . I woul$ another tou4 with this company anytime

1  Thank pinkflower2016
Nicolas J, Owner at Big Easy Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi,
Thank you for writing us a review! We're very glad to know that you had fun in the tour as well as listening to our guide's stories and experiences as a local. We hope to see you again in our other tours too!