“!”
Review of Maypop Restaurant

Maypop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Maypop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #249 of 2,124 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I have been underwhelmed by the trendy new restaurants in New Orleans the past 2 years. I grew up on Commander's Palace, Antoine's and Arnauds, so it is not easy to impress me, but color me impressed enough to go back -- soon.

The place is relatively small, not tiny, but small. I hate giant corporate restaurants. The entire building is windows, so it is light and bright for lunch.

The craft cocktails truly are "craft". Not just the same old cocktails made with smoke or "craft" bitters. There is some real thought into mixing flavors in a different way to go with the food.

The menu includes Entrees and Dim Sum. We chose a Dim Sum appetizer and then went to the entree lunch menu. The DS was an Octopus Dumpling that was flavorful, tender and complex in its layering. It was so good I almost ordered a second one. It came with 3 dumplings.

My entree was a fried chicken whose name I can not recall, but it was a Southern Fried chicken with a Thai tasting sauce that left me wanting more - not in portion size -- that was very generous, but I could eat it again, and again, and again. It did have some heat, that went well with the comfort of traditional fried chicken.

They paid great attention to the Cajun and Asian heritage (CASIAN) and nothing was lacking in flavor or technique. One of the best meals I have had in New Orleans in the past 3 years. Service was fantastic - wish I could remember his name because he was warm and friendly-- but had the manners not to interrupt us or hover. His recommendations were spot on. We had lunch the day before Easter. I rarely give a Server this much props, but I will seek him out on our next visit.

1  Thank beccakristfelt

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

The place isn't flashy or pretentious. It is a simple kinda minimalistic restaurant with very kind serving staff. As soon as you are seated you are greeted with a courtesy from the house. The menu is simple yet elegantly presented and the food is out of this world. If you have been to Asia you can easily recognize the flavor combinations and the eloquently prepared dishes and the presentation is superb.
Go, you'll enjoy it.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Trendy and underwhelming. This restaurant will not survive long term in a city of great restaurant choices. Only thing good was the service and we were a large party. So 5 stars for servers. Food is flat and there are very few choices.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Because of my love for MoPho, I've been dying to try Maypop. We enjoyed it, and I'd like to try it for lunch, but not sure I'd spend big dinner bucks here again. While I'm not generally averse to Asian fusion, this was a little too much fusion for my taste.

I'll start by saying that my husband's 48-hour braised veal breast (silky meat in an utterly delicious braising broth) was other worldly--and the least cluttered of all the dishes we tried. (With a guarantee of the veal on the menu, I would go back.) My entree--a seafood dish featuring pompano (fabulous), shrimp, and clams in a Thai-style coconut curry sauce, with perfectly light gnocchi in the mix--was, even if a tad busy, delicious. The crispy fried oysters in my appetizer, on the other hand, got lost in the crossfire of competing flavors (several Asian ingredients topped by a little plank of pecorino cheese). My husband's starter was another unusual preparation: escargot, served on a lengthwise split marrow bone, with, if I recall correctly, green curry sauce. Like all the food, it was gorgeous. And we both thought this fusion of flavors--a long way from the standard French prep--worked very well.

The restaurant space is lovely: minimalist Asian/modern industrial, uber chic. Service was exquisite (although we were there on a very slow night). Cocktails were beautifully made; the wine rec was spot on. We had a wonderful time and a really nice meal--not perfection, but no regrets.

The couple sitting nearby was raving about a pasta dish with crab, calling the noodles "brilliant." Not that he's asking, but what I'd love to see from Chef Gulotta is an upscale northern-Italian-ish restaurant showcasing his pasta.

1  Thank NOmadfolk2
Reviewed 1 March 2018

The gumbo is not what you'd expect - not even close. It's very good, more like a soup, but if you are expecting classic gumbo you will be disappointed. The pork belly ham on mac 'n cheese is twisted with the addition of pineapple. I get that ham & pineapple go together, on a pizza, in Hawaii, but in NOLA? Taste was great, portion was perfect. This is a good restaurant but be aware that the style is not "old school" but the food is prepared and presented very well.