“Disgusting, unsanitary, and rude service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #59 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
minneapolis, minnesota
“Disgusting, unsanitary, and rude service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

This has been the worst hotel experience ever. First, the air conditionaire was not working and we inquired in advance that this was an amenity since New Orlean is hot in july. The thermostat was 80 so clearly the ac was broken- we told someone in the office and they came to look at it- they said they would call someone in the morning and the whole office left right after that. meanwhile we had to suffer in the heat. After this, I got my bed ready and discovered hundreds of black dots and several pieces of hair in the bed- everywhere! My first thought was dead bed bugs- simply disgusting and gross. We called the 1800 number and left a message- no one ever responded. It took them until 2pm the next day to actually respond to our issues. We decided to check out early and find a cleaner place to stay. They were not going to refund the money for the nights we did not stay there, but eventually serious arguments had to happen to make them do the refunds in front of us. They were completely rude, harrassing, and inconsiderate of the situation. Not once did they apologize for the unclean bed and situation- nor did they provide a reasonable excuse for any of it. The owner/manager verbally harrassed me, trying to blame me for the situation and being uncooperative with staying there and putting up with their filth. They did not do one single thing to attempt to resolve this the night before or that afternoon. Luckily there were 2 beds, or I would not have had anywhere to sleep. However, we were still charged full price for 2 beds, even though they never even attempted to put clean sheets on it. this was very unsanitary and I will be filing several complaints to ensure this does not happen to future tourists. The Degas House was absolutely gross and horrible service- I would never recommend this to anyone. I almost do not even want to go back to New Orleans I had such a bad experience on my 1st 2 days. I am definitely concerned that I carried bed bugs home in my suitcase from that place and will be disinfecting everything. Once again, I cannot say how grossed out I am by this place and how rude they were.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
11 Thank misstinalouisa
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
WOW! First Thank you to Trip Advisor for allowing me to respond.
We installed a new roof that week and apparently attic dust fell on the bed. Housekeeping did not reinspect, as the room had been cleaned prior to re-roofing. Embarrassed, I apologized and took every step to make it right and to please these guests, with upgrades and added amenities.
2 of the 3 guests communicated with me, were happy and wanted to stay. The complaintant refused to communicate in a civil manner and was entirely uncooperative. Money was refunded and I offered to assist them in finding other accommodations.I encourage readers to explore this complaintant's record of negative reviews on other properties. By the way, the air conditioning was never broken. I invite all to visit Degas House for a tour of our award winning restoration or overnight in our Bed and Breakfast or perhaps for a party or wedding.
Degas House is the celebrated and only home of the famous French Impressionist Master in the world and we are very proud of our work here, Thank you for taking the time to read.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oxford, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

We just returned from our stay at The Degas House, and it was absoulutely fabulous! The staff was very friendly and helpful. They were polite, and could relate to my love of creole gumbo. The creole breakfast was very yummy. On Saturday morning, we ate french toast, bacon and eggs cooked via your choice. It was convenient and was a short cab ride away from uptown and the French Quarter. I loved the coziness of this B&B. Furthermore, the other guests were delightful and personable. We did not meet a stranger. Everyone exemplified southern hospitality.

4 Thank crazyabnola
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2003

My boyfriend and I spent a night at the Degas House last summer that I will remember forever. We stayed in "Estelle," a stunning suite on the second floor with a huge private porch overlooking Esplanade. The antique furniture (including a massive four poster bed), chandelier, and fireplace are beautiful. The friendly housekeepers will make you anything you want for breakfast in the morning. Really a treat. Book ahead!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Laconia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2003

This is a really elegant B and B style inn on Esplanade, a couple of miles outside the French Quarter. They arranged a very nice wedding for us and our 35 or so guests in this big open downstairs room, and it all went very smoothly at a very fair price. The furniture is all 19th century and prints of Degas' paintings hang in every room because he lived in the house for a time with relatives. Our guests loved the place. We had the "Estelle" suite which appeared to be extra nice, huge ceilings, a huge balcony, and really great antique furniture. To get to the quarter it'll run you about $8-10 for a cab from here, but it's near the NO art museum and it's quiet. Cabs run 24/7 either way. We're probably going to return for a couple of nights and then move into the quarter for a couple of more nights next time we go back to New Orleans.

• Stayed January 2005