“Striking photography”

Eight One Eight Contemporary Photography Gallery
Reviewed 30 January 2018

I happened into this gallery with the intention only to browse and walked out with 4 striking photographs of New Orleans. The salesperson was attentive, helpful. Photos are available in various sizes and he helped me put together an order which I received in about two weeks. Reasonably priced and excellent quality.

Date of experience: April 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 30 January 2018

The photography is stunning - strong, quirky and dynamic images of this incredible city we all love so much (not to mention some great out-of-town and international pieces too).

Nola is a magical one-of-a-kind city, difficult to express in words or images. Somehow Jose and Cecelia manage to capture its sound, movement and essence in their powerful photography. They are New Orleans locals and their artistic vision is one of love and respect towards their community, and this really shines through in their work.

I popped into the gallery a few times, partly to try to decide which piece I wanted to buy, and partly just to chat - Jose is so friendly and had some great local tips and stories to share. He ended up inviting me back to Eight One Eight to celebrate Dirty Linen Night - the evening where all the galleries on Royal St throw parties. Such a great evening with him and Cecelia!

I ended up buying a stunning print of a second line parade in Treme as there were some local faces I recognised in the photo, but there were so many great pieces it was hard to choose! I miss Nola and so this print is very precious to me.

Thanks Jose and Cecelia - it was an immense pleasure to meet you. When I'm back in Nola I'll definitely swing by the gallery again.

Date of experience: July 2017