“A Happy Hosteler”

Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel
Irving
“A Happy Hosteler”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I really enjoyed my stay. I stayed for five nights . The staff was friendly and helped me find great places to see during my five night stay.The hostel was clean and I will definately be back.

Susan R.
Irving, Texas

Room Tip: One block from St. Charles Streetcar line. Near restaurants, shops.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Susan R
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Slatyfork, West Virginia
Reviewed 4 April 2012

For $30 or so a night, I truly have very low expectations. The mattress need not be comfortable, the facilities need not be beautiful. Nothing could have prepared me for the infestation of bed bugs and fleas, however, at Marquette House. It's clear from the facilities that "deferred maintenance" isn't the problem — there's just no maintenance at all. The facilities are dirty and run-down, the bathrooms are literally disgusting and unsanitary. The fleas from the carpet will chow down on your legs while the bed bugs lick their lips preparing for their late night feast (for which you have a reservation!). I might have been able to deal with the fleas (seriously, the thought crossed my mind), but when the bed bugs crawled out, I made the decision to sleep in my car until I could make other arrangements. Beware.

Room Tip: Try one of the other hostels in New Orleans or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank J D

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Location! Price! Personality!

We stayed in the 2 bedroom self contained apartments located across the street from the main building of the hostel and couldn't have been happier.

The apartment was clean and a decent size for the 3 of us, with comfy beds and A/C...there was even a bath in my private ensuite bathroom (which I happily relaxed in because it was so clean, really)!

The staff consisted of your usual New Orleans cha-rak-ters, which I loved, but more importantly looked after the hostel and us well, giving us local tips, secrets, and extra help.

As we were in NOLA for Jazzfest, we were out most of the time, so the stay may have been different if i'd stayed in the whole time but...you're in New Orleans! The are too too many good times to be had to stay in, much less sleep for more than 4 hours a night :-)

Room Tip: Just remember. It's a hostel. Not the Grand Hyatt.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beeeka
Maryland
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed here as part of a large volunteer group on a service project and had a very good experience. Although the rooms and overall accommodations were spartan, they were clean and functional. The few small issues that we had were dealt with quickly by the management. I recommend that large groups renting a private kitchen/meeting area as this will facilitate breakfast or other meals, meetings, and other gatherings. The Garden District location (one block from the St. Charles streetcar line) was convenient for our work and getting to things to do at night. Overall, a very good and reasonably-priced experience.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Evan06
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2012

was in a 5 private room, with 2 rooms, huge living room!!
heard there were bed bugs, but didnt see any, so I loved it!
ANd the area is great too : by the tramway : go there!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends