“The French Quarter” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #118 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Weatherford, Texas, United States
“The French Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Chateau Hotel 1001 Rue Chartres, New Orleans, La. THe service and staff were wonderful, friendly and professional. Breakfast served to you daily with the paper in a comfort garden stay courtyard. I would recommend this stay for couples and families alike. We will be back next year for sure. Thank you Chateau for the greatest stay.
Mr & Mrs. Holloway

1 Thank Holloway2012
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
We enjoyed having you! Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Sarah I Drake
Reservations Manager
Chateau Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This little gem is 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, about 3 blocks from Jackson Square, 3 blocks from Cafe Du Monde, 1 block from the art galleries on Royal Street -- yeah, it's pretty much in an amazing location in the quarter. It's at the corner of Chartres Street & St. Louis. When I go to NOLA, I like to divide my day into thirds: Part 1 is breakfast & light shopping, then back to the room to drop off the bags, use the restroom and rest my feet for 30 minutes. Part 2 is off to another activity and lunch - then back to the room for the whole resting of the feet/restroom thing. Part 3 is dinner & nightlife and then back to the room to sleep.

So the Chateau Hotel is perfect for this type of traveler ... someone who just needs a home base.

Upsides: They let me check in at 9AM because my room was vacant. Major plus! The front desk is friendly and informative. They have a free continental breakfast and get this - if you're too lazy to go down & get it, you can fill out a card and hang it on your door knob and they'll bring your selections to your room at the time you indicate on the card FREE. Loved this! They have free ice, in-room refrigerators and a soda machine onsite. Beds passed my thorough bed bug inspection (sheets, mattress, box spring, mattress cover, pillow cases, etc.).Overall, I felt safe here.

Downsides: OMG, noisy! The staff slams stuff around in the halls and in the courtyard at all hours of the day & night. Flapping garbage bags, vacuuming, squirting sidewalks, squawking on their walkie-talkies/cell phones, and other sounds that I couldn't identify. The paper boy drops the newspapers at each doorway at 5AM ... thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump. The TVs are from the early 70s and include the static problems of that era too at no extra charge. The water pressure is equal to that of a kinked hose and the rooms have that "we used to let people smoke in here" aroma. No temperature controls - you have to go their preferences on this.

Bottom line: Hey, I paid $89 a night. I got a killer location and a place to store my crap and rest my head. That's more than fair. I'd stay here again -- and I recommend it to you if you can look past a few imperfections in exchange for an amazing location and great rates. Just get some ear plugs, a bottle of Fabreze and you'll be golden.

Room Tip: Reserve early and contact the hotel directly - via their website or by calling.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Knizzle
You should write tavel blogs! I loved reading your review. It kept me smiling through the whole read.

I will give you a tip on our a/c system. You may control it...however it is either on or off. Check with the desk next time you stay with us for the ins and outs of the specifc room!

Again, what a great review!!

Sarah I Drake
Reservations Manager
Pero, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

The hotel's location is excellent: Chartres Street in the French Quarter. You're just seconds away from the Mississippi, Jackson Square and the Café du Monde. Rooms are reasonably large and the staff very friendly and helpful. One notable ecxception was an elderly gentleman at the reception who, for reasons entirely his own, was extremely unfriendly. Still, being in the heart of N'awlins was worth the temporary aggravation.

1 Thank Teerex51
Huntsville Al
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the Chateau Hotel in early January. While a bit worn, the Chateau was a tremendous value relative to any other place in the quarter - so much so that I debated putting a review here because I don't want them to get too popular! The bed and room were clean, comfortable and quiet, and there's a nice courtyard with a pool (valuable during the summer), giving the hotel some character. The location is absolutely fantastic - it's one block from Decatur, two blocks from Jackson square, and an easy walk to anywhere else in the quarter. In addition, the parking was free with AAA membership, which saved us a bundle. My only complaint was that their was no individual control of the room temperature - it was either on or off.

Room Tip: courtyard side is quiet. Need to ask for a well-lit bathroom.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We visited New Orleans for the first time in January 2012. I booked through Priceline primarily for the cost and location. You are about two blocks from Jackson Square, three from Bourbon Street, and about four from Frenchmen Street. Prior to our visit (yet after we booked), I noticed several reviews online regarding Chateau Hotel's poor quality, particularly regarding cleanliness. As someone who is a bit of a cleaning nut, I assure you that our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. It is basic, however, and on the small side. But if you plan to spend the majority of your stay exploring the city, this wasn't a negative for me.

The front desk was very polite and helpful. I felt safe in the hotel, although there are no lock boxes in your room - I did not leave valuables.

My only complaint is the noise level of the cleaning staff. They began cleaning around 8am, with no concern for sleeping guests.

Overall: Safe, comfortable, clean, quiet. Great place to stay on a budget.

Room Tip: Request an upper level room, preferably of the courtyard for a quieter experience.