“One of the best”

Ranked #817 of 2,124 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighbourhood: Ninth Ward
Neighbourhood: Ninth Ward
Reviewed 7 July 2017

I had read about N7 in Bon Appetit as one of the top 10 new restaurants in 2016 and recommended it to two friends - both raved about it. First of all the cab driver wasn't sure he wanted to let us out, but seeing as we would not be stopped, he insisted we promise not to walk around the neighborhood after dinner! It is in kind of a sketchy neighborhood, but I'm sure we were safe. The only sign is a small N7 - no lights and very little indication of what was in store once you open the wood fence door. It was magical and you felt like you had just discovered some hidden secret place and that maybe you were in on some special club with only a few members.

So Can to Table - who knew? But they import canned goods, mostly seafood, from all over the world and serve it with flavored butter and a spicy sauce. Sardines were excellent. But that is only the can to table portion of the menu. Nice samplings of small plates. Seared tuna, tempura escargo, steak au poivre, pulpa carpacio. I'm not sure we ever ordered anything green!

Service was nice, but not overly nice. Rather French in a good way actually. It was the kind of place where you could go with a group of friends (or just a couple as it can be very romantic), order a bottle of wine, keep the small plates coming and just sit for the entire evening.

They do not take reservations, but we had not a problem with seating or service even though it was a Saturday night.

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

This place was recommended to me by a colleague with rave reviews. As a professional woman of color, I immediately felt out-of-place when I walked thru the gate. We had to ask for a server after being seated. While the two waitress made side-eye with us the entire time, no one stopped until we asked to be served. Our food was also on the slow track coming out compared to the guest around us (we had pan fried pork and broiled duck). In an attempt to change my initial opinion of the place, I shared with our server that their restaurant had been recommended to us and asked for recommendations. While explaining the menu to us , we were not told about the specials until asked. The place seems like a cool, relaxed environment. It just didn't welcome us to enjoy it.

1  Thank TADeSaine
Reviewed 6 April 2017

The entrees were excellent. The appetizers out of a can was mediocre at best and way beneath the quality of the entrees, a cute idea but not good. The service was terrible. The owner apologized and said they did not expect so many people that night. At best this was a poor excuse for a place that does not take reservations and was not crowded that night.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

This place is hard to find and kind of tucked away in a 9th ward/Bywater neighborhood but what an incredible find. It has amazing French food and European wines. The atmosphere is laid back but very nice and romantic. There is an outdoor area that was very inviting.

The staff is helpful if you are not familiar with their dishes. I ordered a drink and was given a "better" option by the waitress who knew much more about it than I. Very helpful.

This is a place I will return every time I am in New Orleans and next time I will bring my friends.

1  Thank BigJon55
Reviewed 18 March 2017

It was a rainy night when I visited, but that didn't deter the crowd. For whatever reason the light was not on the front gate and I had to feel my way in. After navigating through the rainy patio, I found my way into the bar. I was told there would be a 30 minute wait, which was expected, so I sat down with my dining companion and we ordered a bottle of red. As we were eyeing the menu, two women walked in and were seated immediately in the back. Kudos to our bartender for informing the waitress that we were there first and hustling up a table for us as well.

Once seated, we knew what we wanted: pomme frites and aioli, olives, eels in olive oil, habanero oysters (my pick) and squid pâté. Needless to say, this was definitely an adventure for my taste buds. The pomme frites and aioli came out first and it was just perfect. The aioli was nice and garlicky and the frites were crispy. Yum!

Next came the tray of squid pâté, oysters and eels. You should know that all of this comes in a can- this is the European way. The tray also came with a nice amount of bread, so that you could spread the seafood on it. I started with the oysters, because that was my order. They were yummy and spicy and a had a fantastic flavor- this was probably my favorite. I had the pâté next, and although my date thought it was bland, I really liked it. It was smooth and reminded me of potted meat with a bit of a kick (That's a terrible description, but I like potted meat). Next I tried the baby eels. My date said he learned somewhere that these eels live in rice patties. Erm...okay. Honestly, it tasted like salty noodles. If you don't think of it as being eels, you'll be fine. This was my first time eating it and I was excited to try something new, even it was a bit weird. But, then again, I like being adventurous. Finally was the olives- salty and perfect and served in their own juice- I loved them. Be aware that they have pits, so chomp with caution.

What is better for dessert than some cheese? The cheese platter came complete with cow, sheep, and goat cheese and also with a bit of strawberry and pear all served with crispy bread. It was absolutely perfect and a great end to a fantastic meal. I got to a point where I was so full that I ditched the bread and ate the cheese straight- thank God for my fast metabolism.

Our waitress was amazing throughout the entire experience. She was extremely attentive and got us water and extra bread and butter when we asked for it and she was really sweet about making sure that we had everything else that we needed.

The atmosphere of the place itself is pretty cozy. The dimly lit bar area and the decor make you feel like you are tucked into a European cafe. There are a few tables in the front and some tables in the back. The music is a bit loud, but not intrusive. If you'd like, you can eat at the bar. We chose to sit at a small table in the back. (Note: it was raining the night we were here and water was leaking through the wall and puddling onto the floor. This is going to be something that has to be fixed- I'm thinking wood rot and eventually termites- it could get funky. Just a seal on the outside will fix that issue- my two cents.) The bathroom is outside on the left and around the side.

N7 is the type of place you have to go into with an open mind. Don't go here and just order meat and salad. You HAVE TO try at least one of the canned goods, or you haven't gotten the full experience. Personally, I want to go back and get the sardines, squid in ink and the meat, just to try it. Yes, I will be back!

2  Thank Marielle S