All reviewslake mendotaother guestsprivate pierswedish pancakesgothic revivalhideaway roombreakfast was deliciousmodern conveniencescomplimentary glass of wineb bsrestaurant suggestionswonderful hostsbed and breakfasta lovely staymin walkwe loved our staylovely room
Reviewed 9 August 2018

We spent one night at the Livingston Inn and truly enjoyed it. We were greeted warmly by Peggy, the owner, on our arrival. She spent time showing us around the Inn and telling us about its history as well as explaining where everything was we might need and making recommendations for dining and sightseeing - just what we look for at a good B&B. The home's interior is spectacular - restored to Victorian splendor. There was wine and other beverages available in the evening in the living room and we spent an hour there reading. Our room (Lake Mendota) was spacious and quiet with a split bathroom - sink in a marble-topped washstand (but with running water) and shower/toilet in a separate room. The queen bed was very comfortable. Peggy had explained that the shower had body sprays and how to operate them, which was fortunate since someone before us had left the body sprays on but I knew how to shut them off when I tried to use the shower. (A small warning card on the shower door might also help for future guests who may not have heard the explanation). The smell of fresh coffee brewing in the morning was welcome and breakfast was served from a sideboard in the dining room. Yes, the swedish pancakes are delicious. We had pleasant conversation with Peggy and other guests before we left to explore Madison. This was our first stay here but we have added it to our list of B&Bs we would like to visit again.

Stayed: August 2018
Peggy and Dave F, Owner at The Livingston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for all your kind words.
I am so happy you payed attention to my shower guidance. (we have tried warning cards and still had problems).

Reviewed 2 August 2018

Stayed at the Livingston Inn for two nights... The hosts are very helpful and friendly, the location is great, the breakfasts were lovely. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Livingston Inn....

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Loved this really wonderful Bed & Breakfast close to UW campus. We stayed 6 nights & enjoyed lively conversation while enjoying a complete organic, delicious breakfast - different every day. Absolutely gorgeous, spacious historic home, beautifully furnished, with many attractive gathering areas for guests. Very clean & well maintained; lake access, beautiful gardens and multiple outdoor sitting areas. Hosts extremely personable and accommodating. Amenities galore - evening wine and chocolates, all-day home-made biscotti and tea. Easy, free parking with suggestions from host - ask for suggestions. General Pickering room gave us a lovely, separate private sitting room with desk, large bathroom, closet and full chest of drawers. Wonderful aroma of fresh bakery in the mornings.

Room Tip: Bedroom with door closed is quiet; kitchen activity may be heard in sitting rm. at top of private, curtained stairs leading from kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

So happy you felt pampered. People have asked if I pipe the smells into the rooms, fortunately its the stone walls that help me out on this. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay.
Best,

Reviewed 29 July 2018

I needed a place to stay for the Oshkosh Air Show. Found this beauty on the Internet.

My wife joined me and enjoyed the day while I was at The Show.

Owner / Host, Peggy couldn't be better. Read any review. She is one of the reasons we will return.

Don't Hesitate, Investigate. This is a Special place. Go if you can.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Wow how kind of you! It was my pleasure. I am so happy you had good weather for the air show. I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

As BnBs go, this is one of our favorites. If you're only looking for a bed, maybe stay elsewhere. But why would you pay for a hotel room with the everyday continental breakfast when you have The Livingston Inn and Peggy, your Hostess? The Hampton or Best Western can't compare to this historical throwback to the 1850's with modern conveniences.

Located within walking distance of many attractions, you can't go wrong with The Livingston Inn. A beautifully landscaped,private yard greets you as you first see the house. Pictures don't do it justice. We appreciated the attention to detail. One of these historic homes should feature the authentic charm, and this home does.

I also would add - take advantage of Peggy. She had wonderful dinner recomendations for us - both nights were amazing! A little history of the house, great breakfast, and a good night's sleep... we hope to return again.

Room Tip: We appreciated the white noise machine at night. A nice perk.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple