“Ok food and chaotic service.”
Review of the icon

the icon
Ranked #249 of 1,083 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2018

The food was just ok. I had much higher expectations. Besides that the service was chaos. Servers didnt know who had what table. The people sitting next to us waited over 15 minutes before a server even got to them. They had to go to someone to get a server. Our server was also the bartender (we didnt sit at the bar) and she seemed to forget we were there. She didnt ask any of the questions the other servers asked their patrons. Like is this your first time ordering tapas style. Do you have questions on how its done etc. We did a lot of waiting. Also the seating is uncomfortably tight. I felt like i was having dinner with strangers. It was also very cold inside.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I came across this restaurant while walking through downtown and decided to step in for a bite. We loved the beautiful interior-definitely a classy atmosphere for a nice date night or dinner out with friends. The tapas were fantastic, great flavors. My husband ordered the short ribs and it just melted in your mouth. Our only complaint was the poor service. I understood that the restaurant was getting busier as the evening went on, but the waitress didn't even bother to come by our table when our drinks were gone...I'm willing to give this place another chance (bc of the delicious food), but hope that next time brings better service

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We've been to The Icon for pre-show dinners several times in the past. Went there in February 2018 after being away for several months and things have really changed. We ordered cocktails first, then placed an order for an appetizer, two entrees each with side salads and a bottle of wine to go with dinner. My order for a dry, very dirty martini had me walking the drink back to the bar, it wasn't dirty at all. Not a problem. Our salads came out first, before the appetizer, by about 15 minutes. We thought that was strange but weren't going to say anything to our server. When our entrees were delivered, our cocktail glasses had been cleared for some time, but the wine didn't appear. We sat and talked for nearly 15 minutes with our entrees sitting untouched in front of us before we found our server again and asked about the wine we'd ordered to have with dinner. She disappeared for not quite another 10 minutes, then came back and had me do the usual taste. It wasn't bad, the wine was palatable, so she poured our glasses, put the bottle on the table and walked away. After a full taste of the wine, I was disappointed, as it was a pretty thin tasting. After looking at the label (she hadn't shown us the label before pouring) we realized it was a completely different varietal, and not the wine that we'd ordered. We flagged her down, she apologized and then brought the correct bottle of wine. By the time we had the right wine the food was no longer warm. Maybe that contributed to the "meh" reaction we both had to our entrees, or maybe it was the disappointment with the service, or maybe it was the disappointment with the fact that The Icon isn't what it used to be. We'll be back for a glass of wine before a show, but won't be dining here again.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

My husband, sister and I went here for dinner before a show at the Orpheum. It was a little crowded, so we decided to sit at the bar, which was fun - our bartender/server was very responsive, and we had a few rounds of tapas and no problem getting out in time for our show. Plus, we got to watch the classic movie that was playing on the TV over the bar.

We started off with some cocktails - we both had the special that night, which was a hot raspberry chocolate with brandy (it was a very chilly night so it was perfect), and my sister got one of their fancy sparkling cocktails ("Strangers in the Dark” - Stoli Blueberry Vodka, pomegranate liqueur and champagne.). We're all fairly adventurous eaters, so we had fun with our plates and sharing them amongst ourselves.

-Grilled artichoke hearts topped with arugula, oranges and roasted red pepper (so pretty!)
-Braised octopus with cilantro, mango puree, lemon preserve and smoked paprika aioli (My sister and I are big octopus fans so it's always fun to find it on the menu. It was very good, and had a perfect texture. Chewy, but not rubbery).
-Fried potato croquettes with manchego cheese, fresh herbs and saffron aioli
-Baked Goat Cheese served in house tomato sauce with toasted garlic bread
-White Anchovies served on crostini with marcona almonds, parsley pesto, garlic aioli, manchego cheese, piquillo pepper and arugula.
-steak pinchintos (spears) with manchego mashed potatoes and a rioja reduction sauce

It's a fun place to go and try some fun (and beautifully presented) foods, although I will say we didn't eat quite enough to get really full, as that can be a very expensive endeavor.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

The food is always delicious and the service is great. Nick the manager is very friendly. We love ending Saturday mornings after the farmers market at The Icon! They have great mimosas and they are 2 for 1. We totally recommend the burger for a Saturday early lunch it is delicious with bacon and a sunny side egg on top and your choice of side. Also one great thing is that in the summer they have seating outside so you can enjoy the weather and people watching. We love it!