“When in Wisconsin Eat As Badgers Do”
Review of The Old Fashioned

The Old Fashioned
Ranked #5 of 1,008 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Was in Madison for a business trip and ate here with some of my colleagues and as some had never been to Wisconsin, we wanted some of the local flavor. However, I would caution others on business that the atmosphere is quite pubish and not appropriate for a working lunch/dinner. Wait time for a table of 6 on a Tuesday night was 45 minutes. It was the first time we ever had fried cheese curds; some were unimpressed and some liked them much more than the East Coast equivalent, fried mozarella sticks. Food was decent and service was very friendly. I was very tempted to try the Tuesday special for the value alone of tacos for $1.50. Since work was covering the meals and I wanted to stick to the "when in Rome" philosphy I went for the bratwurst sandwich which was pretty good. The browine dessert with a shot of milk was a hit with everyone at the table.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Be very careful when visiting this restrauant. My experience was VERY Poor!
First I ordered the nightly Special TO-Go, told it would be 10-15 minutes so found a seat at the Bar.
Multiple Bartenders all very busy ........watching baseball! After several minutes managed to get the attention of one of them and ordered a brand name Martini on the rocks.
Watched him search the 40' back Bar for what seems liked 5-7 minutes....tried to get his attention to cancel because I was sure my food to-go would be coming soon but he was watching pitch count not me.
Watched him mix Martini in shaker,NOTrocks, decided I leave it to make a Statement when my Food came.....My Food NEVER came, so after 1/2 hour decided to Inquire and it appeared quickly....COLD!
Be very careful, there are much better Choices in Madison, Wi

1  Thank Gene M
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Stopped by based on other reviews. Fantastic. Great service, awesome burger, large selection of beers. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Nothing not to like. Beer and drinks are fantastic. I don't normally drink sweet drinks but I always get an old fashioned (muddled with whiskey) when I go. Food is perfectly blended with the vibe, which is often loud and crowded- but fun.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Solid food, solid service, a wide selection of local beers, and reasonable prices. The "spicey burger" comes with a side dish of jalopeños so you can heat it up to your taste. Worth a visit.