“Many nice qualities, but very dirty” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.

Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.
Ranked #42 of 61 Hotels in Madison
Wisconsin
“Many nice qualities, but very dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed at the Extended Stay Deluxe for almost two weeks.

The best things about it are that it's in a great location, the staff was very friendly and accommodating, it was quiet, and I did sleep well.

Now for the bad. ..When I first checked into my room everything looked okay but there was a stale odor in the room. I opened the window hoping to air out the room. It soon became clear that the room was not just dirty, but filthy -- the doors, the mirrors, the windows, the furniture, everything. I ended up going to the store to buy cleaning supplies and cleaned the room, but I never felt like it was really clean. I think at one time it was a smoking room so the curtains and furniture just reaked, and there were cigarette burns in the carpet and sofa. I ended up putting sheets on the sofa and chair and never actually sat on them. I bought my own blanket at a nearby store and tossed the bedspread in the closet. The rooms have a kitchenette, and the first time I used the oven the whole room started to smell like oven cleaner. When I opened the oven I found that someone had indeed sprayed oven cleaner in the oven but hadn't wiped it off. I finally broke down and wiped off the oven cleaner and found that I half-hearted attempt had been made to clean the oven and a lot of it was still dirty. There was also an apt-size fridge in the room the top of it, handles, and inside were dirty too. Believe it or not, the cleanest part of the room was the bathroom.

They do have a laundry room available for guests and the inside of the washers were filthly, too, and I ended up scrubbing them down before using them.

What's so surprising is that someone always seemed to be cleaning at the hotel, yet it was so dirty. I think they try but totally miss the mark.

They do offer internet service for $4.99 per stay, but it's pretty slow. You can upgrade to a faster service, for (I think) $15 per stay. They also advertised wireless printing where you are supposed to be able to print from your room and pick up your printing in the lobby. But the service wasn't working when I was there. I would check that it's working before you print, because I printed and since the service wasn't working I have no idea where my documents ended up. Thank goodness they were private/sensitive documents.

The hotel seemed to be full of construction workers and other contractors. This isn't a family-type hotel and definitely not a destination hotel experience.

To be honest, I would have checked out and gone somewhere else, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't do that.

If you have to stay there ask for a former non-smoking room that doesn't face the highway

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Columbia ,South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

During my 7 month stay at this hotel, I was treated very poorly by the staff in Madison.
When the desk lamp in my room stopped working, the maintenance person kept replacing it with other desk lamps "in storage" which did not work. After giving me three different lamps, he finally gave me a new desk lamp which actually worked. This situation occurred at a time critical period, when I was working at night from the hotel room via the internet and needed a decent desk lamp.

The same situation was repeated when the coffee maker stopped working. I was given old coffee makers from "Storage". Eventually I was given a working model.

The Laundry room was rarely cleaned. The third floor passageway from the elevator to my room had obnoxious and pungent cooking smells 24/7 from the tenants and also because the windows at the ends of the passageway were NEVER opened.

When I mentioned these challenges to the staff their reply was "We understand your frustration" and then they promptly went ahead and did nothing about it.

On Friday 17, September at 2 a.m the side entrance door to the building was damaged and the safety glass destroyed by a tenant trying to enter the building. On other occasions teenagers were running up and down the passageway racing each other at 12.30 at night.

In view of the fact I was paying over $1000.00 per month to stay here while on a work assignment, I find this kind of treatment unbelievable.
I doubt that after this I will ever stay at one of their hotel chains again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan da M
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

We had three rooms to accommodate three families. Our purpose in coming to Madison was to visit a relative (turning 90yrs) that lives across the street at the Attic Angels senior living facility. We could have walked between the two if we had wanted to.

The kitchenette saved us from eating every meal in a restaurant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Hammond, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

We have stayed at many hotels and this by far is the best. We had 5 adults, 8 children (4 older kids who are 6ft and taller. We reserved 3 rooms and the stay was spacious. In these deluxe rooms we had 2 queen beds with a sofa sleeper and recliner. In my room we had a very spacious living area and a nice size kitchen with a full size refrigerator and stove. Each room had dishes for 4 people and pot and skillet plus toaster and coffee maker. It was the best room we have ever had. Customer service was very kind and polite, even the cleaning staff took and other employees took the time to speak when passing us in the hall. Location was very good as the mall was right around down the street, gas station in the back and even a shopping mall that had valet parking (OMG!!) We love this place and look forward to staying at Extended Stay Deluxe for any travel stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Found these guys through a local website: http://rentrodger.com/extended-stay-hotels/
and I was very pleased. Next time I travel back to Madison I will be staying here again, I have stayed quite a few times in Madison, and this ranks as one of the top hotels for the money.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
0.1 km away
1.2 km away
Comfort Suites Madison West
2.5 km away
Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison

Been to Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.

Property: Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.
Address: 45 Junction Ct, Madison, WI 53717-2159 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Madison - West)
Region: United States > Wisconsin > Madison
#17 Business Hotel in Madison
Price range (per night): ₹ 6,284 - ₹ 11,062
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd. 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Extended Stay and Expedia so you can book your Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay Deluxe Madison - West Hotel Madison