“Strange noises” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Madison
Richland Center, WI
“Strange noises”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed at the hotel on Friday, June 22. I had booked the hotel on Hotwire for an incredible price of $55 plus tax for the night. When my traveling companion and I returned to the hotel at approximately 2AM, we heard a man screaming. It was short bursts, but there were several of them. At first we thought maybe they were coming from the street, but we were on the 9th floor and they sounded much closer than that. They dissipated within a few minutes, as though it were horseplay, and we fell asleep. At 5:23 AM, I was awoken by the same sound. Again, it sounded very close, like perhaps in an adjoining room. The screams were indiscernible as to their nature. I went down to the front desk and reported the screaming, indicating that I didn't know if there was a medical emergency or if this was something sexual in nature. I was assured that security would be notified. I should mention that I could clearly hear the screaming from the elevator and I indicated this to the front desk worker. At 6AM, we could still hear the screaming. It was incredibly creepy and there was no way we were getting back to sleep, so we simply packed up and left. While our hotel only cost $55 plus tax for the night, it was a rip off for only getting 3 hours of sleep. I would have expected more prompt service as I was clearly shaken when I contacted the desk.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank PromQueen10
, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I want to apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. I did follow up with security and want to assure you that they did respond right when you brought it to our attention. When they went up however, they were unable to find or hear anything out of the ordinary. I'm sorry again for the strange noises that night and hope you will give us a chance again in the future. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Sheri Lee is outstanding at the Olive lounge. The service is fantastic, the drinks and food are even better.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
I am glad to hear you had such a fantastic experience in the Olive Lounge. We have a great bar staff there. Be sure to join us next time for happy hour from 5-7pm on Monday through Friday! Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I went to a conference here and was underwhelmed. The rooms were $176/night which is about $75 under the non-conference price. Parking is $13 per night extra or $18 if you don't request it to be added to your hotel bill. However, you don't find this out until you leave! If you get annoyed, only then does the parking attendant offer to add it to your hotel bill at $13/night.

There is no wi-fi in the rooms, it's dial-up! Seriously! it is dial-up! And it's $3.95 an hour or $9.95 a day! Who has dial-up? and who would charge for dial-up? You can connect to wi-fi in the bar, lobby or business center for free, however, I prefer to be able to use my coputer in my room.

The meals for the conference were not good. The food was cold. Scrambled eggs with chives and Rosemary potatoes every morning! Ewww! Nasty! I also ate in the Olive Room, that was somewhat better, but still mediocre.

The housekeeping/maintenance staff were friendly as was the conference/banquet manager. The wait staff and front desk staff were not friendly and sometimes downright snarky!

The location is great if you need a close to the capitol location. The hotel rooms, okay. The furniture, i.e. chairs in the room are better quality than some motels. The lighting was poor so reading in the chairs was not great. Beds were okay. I did like that the comforters were covered by a clean sheet, so one could lay on the bed without wondering what nasties the seldom-washed comforter held!

The motel was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and is outwardly attractive. The convention center is very nice (if you ignore the ugly carpet!) and is right on Lake Monona for a lovely view.

Getting to the convention center is awkward-you walk through the bar, then take a skywalk. If you have materials needing a cart, you must take an elevator to the parking garage, get out on the first floor, maneveur your cart through the bar patrons, down the skywalk, then down another elevator to the convention floor, then through the 4th floor to another elevator if your room is on one of the two lower floors.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are nice, however, they cost additional dollars.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments here. This kind of feedback is how we continually improve our service. I wanted to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay. This is not our typical guest experience and for that I am very sorry. I want to assure you that we are priced right in line with other comparable hotels in the area. Thank you again for your review, and we hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

I want to start by saying that I was and am an extended stay guest. When I say extend stay, I mean for 3 months. I have stayed for months in Milwaukee at the Hilton for 2 months. I stay at hotels long term quite often. I have to say that my stay at this hotel has been exceptional. They are like a family and treat their guests like family. The people involved from the very first moment of pulling up your car, Mark, Tom, Nick, Tom and Paul couldn't make you feel more comfortable. The front desk desk staff of Michelle, Dominic, Jacob, Tyler, Jessica, Christy, Giuliani,Kristen, Dan, Grace, David and Cindy cater to your every need. Rick the concierge is super helpful and tell you about all the great local restaurants. The Olive lounge and Chop House have great food and service. Whitney, Hannah, Kimberly, Logan, Ethan, Sheri Lee, Mary, Erika, and Taylor are great. Room service is very prompt if Kristen is delivering and Tony cooks a mean steak. Also Fry and Eric are great. If your room needs any adjustment Sloan is your your guy. This hotel rocks.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Matt H
We all want to thank you so much for your kind words and are thrilled that we have been able to create a feeling of 'home' for you during your extended stay. We certainly recognize that our employees are our most valuable asset. Thank you very much for taking the time to recognize all of our hardworking team members! Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We booked a last minute stay here June 1-3. The location can't be beat if you are doing anything near Capitol Square. Several restaurants are within easy walking distance - L'Etoile, Graze, Sardine, Delmonico Steakhouse, Marigold. We also walked to Bop, favorite store of fashionistas everywhere!

There were several weddings going on while we were there, and the hotel appeared to be booked to capacity. Our room overlooked the Capitol, and was very efficient (small) with 2 double beds, which was interesting considering we haven't slept in a double in years! I was surprised they didn't have queens, but the size of the room wouldn't allow 2 queen beds. 2 doubles barely fit. I wish I could say that the beds were comfy...they were not and we tried both, one on Friday and the other Saturday. My neck is still sore. The first night we were awakened by loud people and slamming doors in the hallway, typical of an after-wedding crowd. The second night was worse - I got literally 2 hours of sleep due to dripping noises in the ceiling above my head. It kept starting and stopping, and every time I got up to try and figure it out, it would stop. Maybe the people above us left something running, but whatever it was, it was annoying.

And now, for the parking garage. They do have valet, but we opted to park our own. The spaces are REALLY tight. REALLY REALLY tight. Small car owners will rejoice, SUV's, trucks, minivans and anything larger than a Prius will have difficulty.

Would we stay here again? Maybe, but only if we had to be downtown and only if we were able to get a bigger bed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jbillin
Thank you for sharing. You named several of our favorite restaurants in the area! I wanted to apologize that our beds and parking were not to your liking. We have recently remodeled all of our guest rooms, including brand new mattresses in everyone. We certainly recognize that parking can be a challenge in downtown Madison and always offer valet parking for that reason. We hope you will stay with us again when you return to downtown Madison! Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager