“Cool building; decent food”
Review of Brickhouse BBQ

Brickhouse BBQ
Ranked #337 of 1,053 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2016

We tried Brickhouse BBQ for dinner this past weekend. What stood out was that this is a three story restaurant and the top floor includes an outdoor eating patio. With three stories, Brickhouse can accommodate a lot of patrons. We were there on a Friday night around dinner time. It was not particularly busy. All of that space made it seem almost empty. We opted to eat outside, on the third floor patio, where you can look down on the street and across to the surrounding buildings.

Our waitress was friendly, not particularly knowledgeable about the extensive beer list, but perky and likeable. The beer list is not only extensive but reasonably priced.

The menu included some oddities such as duck legs, various styles of Mac & Cheese including Cajun and chipotle, and appetizers like the trio of fries which included potato, sweet potato and zucchini. I give it props for variety and originality. I ordered the smoked turkey and my partner had the sausage combo. The turkey was moist, tender, and already sauced so I didn't need to add any of the additional sauces available at the table. It comes with corn-bread which I found dense and grainy but I did enjoy the sweet crust on top. For sides I ordered the braised collard greens with ham and maple mashed sweet potatoes. The saltiness of the ham complimented the bitterness of the greens. I didn't get much maple in the sweet potatoes.

I really liked being able to sit outside on the roof, the food was tasty and unusual and the service was fine. I would go back.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Decent BBQ for a college town. Good flavor in the sauces. I liked the mango sauce, although it had a little kick. Good place for college students.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

We went to Brickhouse as our first choice BBQ joint was closed. The reviews online seem too high for this establishment. The server, a female, was quite friendly and provided good service. Our meal, however, was terrible. First we were told that they were out of coleslaw...what BBQ joint runs out of coleslaw? When our brisket came, the first thing we noticed was the crust was not there. It was dry, crumbly and tasted terrible. Absolutely one of the worst pieces of beef I have ever tasted. The green beans were not cooked enough and the cornbread was burned. I would give this 0 stars except our waitress was nice. Never again.

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

The food was great and every employee we interacted with was awesome... I just wish there were a few more of them. Salads and sandwiches were great, Cobb salad with pulled pork, quesadillas, pulled bacon sandwich were all great! Rooftop seating was sunny which was nice, service was engaging, personable, and slooooooowwww.

Reviewed 17 May 2016

The Brickhouse BBQ is located downtown Madison, close to many hotels. Looks small, but has lots of room. The food is really good and fairly inexpensive. Located in an older brick building which gives it lots of character. Has a full bar.