“So Glad I Stopped In,”

Add it.
Cafe Coda
Ranked #559 of 1,065 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 20 May 2017

I was walking by Cafe CODA heading for State Street, when I saw lots of people Salsa dancing. I was staying at the Concourse for my birthday, and celebrated at the Governor's club till they closed at 10:30.

I had asked the front desk clerk if there was a Jazz Bar nearby, and he just said, "State Street is just a block down the street, there are lots of bars." Moron! The CODA is a Jazz Club I found out, but had a Salsa band on this night. It was a Thursday.

It was only $5 to get in, had a friendly bartender, a decent red wine, and lots of energy. The owner Hanah Jon Taylor, greeted me, told me about the Club and his vision of bringing a Jazz club back to Madison. He was a gracious host, made me feel welcome, even though I was much older, and way more dressed up than the roomful of Salsa dancers.

I can't wait to go back and experience the Jazz that will be happening there. Put this one on your list for places to go this Summer. It's going to be awesome!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

We attended the Wednesday night, early evening Gypsy Jazz show. This is a great venue for listening to Jazz. The cover charge was reasonable and drinks were moderately priced. The room is set up for listening. There is a large stage with a nice sounding house PA system and a grand piano permanently on stage. In addition to the booths along the back wall and bar seating, there are about 50 chairs and tables set up facing the stage in true night club style. The red and black color scheme is striking and the sound quality in the room is first rate. The club is set up to encourage listening, which is something the Madison Jazz scene has needed for a long time. The club owner was on site making sure everything was going smoothly. All in all, this is a great place to stop in and hear jazz. Check out their schedule. They will be having early evening theme nights such as Blues night, and Gypsy Jazz night. On weekends they will be bringing the best of local, regional and national Jazz acts. Since they serve food, you don't need to be 21 to get in. Give this club a chance. I think it will be a major part of Madison's burgeoning live jazz scene.
Note: Nearby street parking is readily available and is free after 6 PM. There is also a city parking ramp right across the street.