“Madison Convention” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
“Madison Convention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

This Hampton inn is quite new-and having stayed in several H'sI in the pas,t this exceeded my expectations. The staff was very pleasant, lobby was very large and inviting. The room was standard-nothing stand out, but exceptionally clean. I would caution that the online security for the Hampton Inns need to be reviewed by management for the credit card transactions. The last two times I have stayed an a HI (Madison and DC) I had fraudulent activity on my card the next day. So their system is compromised. Forunately my CC caught it immediately and took care of it. Other than that this hotel is great.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank miles450
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I travel a lot for work and when i find a place that i like, i will stay there again next time i'm in the area. Same with Madison since i had been here before and luckily found this Hampton hotel. The recent stay was my 2nd time at the city and the hotel as well. I really like the quiet area and nearby food/shopping area. It's located next to princeton club which is a huge one. They offer discounted rate for hotel guests, which is $10/day. If you don't feel like paying, the hotel has a spacious fitness center that you can use. My room is clean and just a typical hampton inn room. Breakfast was ok and there's always plenty of choices to choose from. I will definitely be back to this hotel next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Leilani07
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed for one night at this hotel in a king studio suite. The first room that we were given was located on the third floor (lobby and pool are on floor 2). When we walked into our room, we were immediately hit with a very strong bleach/chorine smell. We presumed that the room had just been cleaned so didn't panic. The windows in this hotel do not open, therefore we had no way of trying to air out the room. As we began to unpack we noticed a loud consistent banging sound coming from above us and through the walls. I inquired at the front desk and was told that the sound was from the pool pumps. We quickly figured out that our room was located directly above the pool, hence the strong chlorine smell and sound. We transferred to a different room located on the top floor and had no further problems.

The room was clean with ample space. Comfortness of beds was so-so. The sink is outside of the toilet/shower room which was nice for getting ready with a family. We also had a small bar sink area and refrig which worked perfectly. The room was light and airy but again the windows do no open.

Overall, the entire hotel, particularly the lobby area smelled quite strongly of chlorine from the pool room. My husband and brother-in-law took the kids swimming and all of their eyes stung for hours after being in the pool. I understand that chlorine is needed especially in public pools, however this was really, really strong.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above pool. Ask for even numbered rooms on high floor for best view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kgwiazda, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Madison West, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites-Madison West for your lodging needs. I would like to personally thank you for your recent feedback. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and make your stay as comfortable as possible. In order for us to continue to satisfy our guests, our guest's feedback is crucial. I woud like to apologize for the excess amount of chlorine you expereienced in our pool area/lobby and guest room. Thank you for letting us know about that issue. I wasn't aware we were having issues as our guest rooms and lobby are not normally affected by the chlorine in the pool. But please be assured, we have discovered the issue and have corrected it so other guests will not have the same experience. We appreciate your comments! Responses like yours help us to better our staff and hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you want to discuss your stay further or if I can help you with any future reservations. We would like to truly demonstrate our committment to your comfort. You may contact me at 608-271-0200 or via email at kgwiazda@ncghotels.com.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Great customer service. Great variety in breakfast buffet. Avoid Room 114 - can hear elevator mechanics clearly.

• Stayed September 2011
Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at Hampton Inn for Ironman Wisconsin. We booked the hotel through the Ironman website and appreciated the free race day shuttles to and from the event from 4am to midnight. While they weren't exactly on time, the charter buses were comfortable and greatly appreciated - giving us one less thing to worry about on race day.
The rooms were very large with plenty of room for bikes and gear. We bring our own food so we were bummed to find the rooms do not come equipped with microwaves or refrigerators. Luckily this equipment can be requested and will be installed in the room for a flat fee for the duration of your stay ($10 for the fridge). They had it installed within 20 minutes of our initial request and apologized for the delay.
The rooms feature walk-in showers and no bathtubs. I would think this incredibly beneficial for those with limited mobility but a drawback for athletes who need ice baths post-race. The rooms have plenty of well placed outlets, an in-room coffee maker, and the shower gets nice and steamy.
Amenities for this location include $10 access to the Princeton Club, an amazing wellness facility across the parking lot. Plenty of cafes and grocery within walking distance. A GREAT pool facility for kids. And there is also a trail by the hotel providing a safe, easy route to walk or run if you are so inclined. I did get a laugh when I realized I forgot a comb and the front desk graciously provided me with what must have spent a past life as a doll comb. She gladly handed over two combs upon realizing the first one didn't stand a chance on my long hair.
Hampton Inn caters to Big 10 fans. They have the Big 10 network in rooms and I think they had a shuttle running to the stadium on game day.
I was pleased with this hotel choice and would happily return to the Hampton Inn again.

Room Tip: Don't worry, all the rooms are quiet. We stayed on the end closest to the beltway and didn't...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple