“Vegetarians Stay Away!”
Review of Field Table

Field Table
Ranked #385 of 1,065 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 16 May 2018

The location and interior are nice. The meat eaters loved the menu selection. For vegetarians and vegans there were only one or two options. I ordered the "forest bowl" which was described as lentils, black eyed peas, enoki mushrooms and sweet potatoes. The bowl contained very little food and the mushrooms were replaced with one asparagus stalk. The lentils were tasteless and the sweet potato looked like someone took their finger a swiped a teaspoon of it along the side of the bowl. Blech. The bread board was six dollars and was small. The steak, burgers and salmon dinners were well received and much lauded. I wish I could have been so happy.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Looking for a restaurant on a weekend night without making a reservation. After checking a few places with over an hour wait, this place had lots of tables open. That should have been a red flag. Soup was good. Charged us for bread. Two people ordered steak, one med rare and other medium. Both came out well done, with one charred. Both sliced super thin and both with cuts all the way through so it was in four pieces. Who serves steak like that? Sent charred one back and asked for medium rare again. Took 15 min for mew steak only to have a bad repeat. Server finally got ame back and now offered no apology. Poor quality, poor service, and cannot make a steak, will never be back.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We have eaten here twice. Once for a quick bite at the bar after a Bball game and once for a business dinner. The service both times was good. Friendly servers that were appropriately attentive. The menu really is not very extensive and both times I got the chicken. Others in the group got burgers and a vegetarian meal. I did have the soup of the day which was a creamy vegetable soup which was quite tasty. Others got "parsnips 3 ways" and either they were totally starving or they were quite tasty...or both. I cannot speak well of the chicken. It is fried and rather dry. I realize I got it twice even though I didn't really like it the first time because the menu just isn't that large. Apparently the burger is good. I probably will not give this place another try unless I just want some soup. But if you are in the mood for a burger or parsnips give it a try.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Centrally located across from the Capitol, we enjoyed a before concert meal. We all had the Beef Pot Pie served on a bed of tasty potatoes. Very appropriate for a cool winter evening.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

We had a terrible experience here for Sunday brunch. From being ignored when we walked in to waiting FOREVER for our food--only to have the waitress turn up empty handed after half an hour to say they "just" realized they had run out of my entree--it as a disaster. We begged for something to eat and a muffin arrived, with the waitress dramatically saying it was on the house. They have an electronic ordering system, so it makes no sense that they kept running out of dishes (this happened to someone at the next table) but only found out when the other person's food came up. When we finally got served, my companion's entree was lukewarm and mine was just boring. The waitress used her employee discount to take 20% off the bill, but even that was awkward as it was not her fault. The owner, who had eventually seated us, never came back to check on our experience even after setting the expectation that it was a wonderful restaurant, a labour of love, etc. On top of that we both had unsettled stomachs for hours afterwards.