“A good value in a 3.5 star hotel”

Sheraton Madison Hotel
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“A good value in a 3.5 star hotel”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

PRO:
+ Easy access to Turville Conservation Park for jogging, sitting by the lake, and x-country skiing if there's snow on the ground (rentals available a few miles away in Monona).
+ Easy parking.
+ Lobby was comfortable.
+ Plenty of computers for use by guests, easy to print from them, too.
+ Pool & hot tub were beautiful. Fitness center had good equipment but was a bit "close"; the weather outside was sunny and 75 degrees (in March!), so I went running in the park.
+ I got a great deal through one of those "name-your-own-price" websites. If I had paid full price for this place, I wouldn't have been satisfied.

CON:
- Not many choices of restaurants nearby, aside from those on-site.
- A large contingent of high-school basketball players was staying on my floor. Glad I brought earplugs as they were loud in the hallways at night.
- Bathroom:
-- Sound carried through ventilator shaft. From what I heard, some guy certainly was enjoying his bath.
-- Light switch in bathroom was very hard to work: 4-yr old couldn't operate it, and I bet it would be hard for someone with arthritic hands.
-- Shower oscillated between too hot and ice-cold during peak shower times.

Room Tip: Some hotel websites list this as a "downtown" hotel. Don't be fooled, unless you want...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Choudoufu
Katie J, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel from your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather we were having in March and take advantage of Lake Mendota right in our back yard for running! I am happy that you enjoyed all of the amenities we have to offer as well, complimentary parking, the Link at Sheraton, pool and hot tub as well as the fitness center. I do want to apologize however for the inconveniences you experienced while in your room. We were sold out during your stay and I am very sorry for the loud noise on the floor with the basketball team we had in house. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our security guard to ensure we are monitoring the halls a little better when we have large groups in house. I am happy to let you know that our Chief Engineer has been working on fixing the temperature changes of the shower for the convenience of our guests. I hope to consider staying with us again if your travels bring you to Madison.

Guest Services Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I've stayed in this hotel for almost 2 weeks in the last month and I have mixed reviews. 2 of the 3 rooms I stayed in were pretty nice. The alarm clocks vary in each room and are not very up to date. 1 of the rooms I was in, 633, the toilet ran all the time, both phones were broke, the alarm clock didn't work and the straw that broke my back was the water wouldn't warm up in my shower. Now this wasn't the case with the other 2 rooms but this room was bad luck. Most staff is very friendly. The shuttle drivers were great. Pauli, very helpful and knowledgeable. Had great fitness center with built in tv's on the equipment and the pool and hot tub were nice. The breakfast was good however there is no continental free breakfast. For a business trip, I was a bit bummed that there was no fridge or microwave in the room. But for a weekend trip it would be a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms can be loud so I'd stay away from the elevator
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Katie J, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of our hotel. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with one of your rooms. We have looked at room 633 and have repaired the issues that you encountered. I’m glad you had a great time with Pauli, he is very knowledgeable about the Madison area and it’s great that he was able to show you around! I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to him as well. We do have refrigerators and microwaves available upon request, next time you are coming to stay, let me know and I’ll be happy to place one in your room! Hope to see you again soon!

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed here while touring the University of Wisconsin Madison. Not particularly close but within a quick drive. Our room was very nice. Great bedding and lots of comfy pillows. Very clean. My husband got nightcaps for us in the lounge and brought them up to our room. Convenient:) Shower had excellent water pressure and the towels were thicker than the usual hotel towel. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Katie J, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
What a great experience you had. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is wonderful that you were able to take advantage of the club lounge and the amenities that come with it. I am pleased that you had a good night sleep on our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and found your room to be very comfortable. I hope the tour at the UW went well; I look forward to your next stay with us.

Trevor, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was a beautifully clean Hotel, the Customer Service was superior. From the front desk to the lounge and through room service. Excellent linens, down pillows and beyond comfortabe accomodations. Had business trip in Madison, stayed 2 nights and looking forward to staying again soon. Fabulous Pool too!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Katie J, Manager at Sheraton Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
We definitely look forward to you staying with us again and truly appreciate the wonderful review you had. I am so happy that we were able to exceed your expectations with every part of our hotel. I have passed on your kind comments to our management team and staff members! Thanks again.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed at this hotel when doing some business at  Madison. Not the closest hotel to the campus--but ABSOLUTELY the best value.
I would have gladly paid $200 for this room. It was in a quiet area, but with several excellent restaurants and shops located very nearby. The hotel seemed quite new, as everything was very clean and updated.
The service was friendly and efficient, i would like to say a Very Special Thank you to Diego ?For His Great costumer Service (Go Diego Go!.).
And all of the amenties such as the pool and fitness center were great. The wi-fi was free and worked well. If I ever have reason to be anywhere near Madison again, this is definitely where I'll stay.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be very friendly and helpful. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff as well as Diego. We look forward to your next visit to Madison.

Best Wishes,