“Hotel Fine, Service Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West
Ranked #38 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
“Hotel Fine, Service Disappointing”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We found this hotel to be fine: average rooms; pool area fun for small children. However, the service at this location was terrible and we won't head back for that reason. There are plenty of other alternatives with pool areas that are close enough to what they have here.

We tried to organize a small birthday party along with our stay and the front desk workers, prior to our stay, were not trained/informed with correct information about bracelets, rooms, etc. The "manager on duty" was voicemail after voicemail. We didn't have problems; we were simply trying to organize a stay and coordinate our small party. It would seem to be a normal issue that any hotel would deal with on a day-to-day basis. They were not able to handle it in a timely or accurate manner, and that's frustrating!

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton down the road! Better service, better rooms, and a perfectly fun pool space for...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites and Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark I apologize that our staff at the front desk was not trained to assist you with your Birthday Party Plans . We do offer Birthday Party Packages Sunday through Thursday at Crawdaddy Cove. I hope you will consider Crawdaddy Cove again for future birthdays. Birthday Parties are booked through the sales office. Just contact or sales office at 608-203-4707. Please contact the General Manager at the hotel if I can be of further assistance. 608-826-0500.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We recently stayed here with my 2 grandkids - age 2 & 4. The Waterpark is a perfect size for this age, but it needs work! It has many rust spots and areas that just make you wonder whether you should let your kids get in. Maybe a good coat of paint would help. The lobby area is nice. The staff is friendly. The breakfast buffet is really good. The rooms were OK and the beds sleep well. My sons room had water on the floor by the bathroom so the carpet was soaked - this way when we came in the room. They gave us a fan to try to dry it, but didn't help much. This hotel would be wonderful with a some money put into the waterpark and rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MarciMo
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites home of Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark. The waterpark is the perfect getway for families with small children. The hotel offers poolside rooms and kids suites. I apologize about the wet floor in your quest room. Please contact the hotel manager at 608-826-0500 to discuss your stay further, we hope you will give us another chance the next time you are looking for a place to bring your family.

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites -
Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Our visit intention was to spend the day at the waterpark and the night in our room with a trip to George's Chophouse for supper. We have a two, five and sixteen year old and grandma joined us for the day at the waterpark. We stayed on 1/21/12. The temperature outside was 6 degrees. I was worried it would also be cold in the waterpark due to the low outside temperature was. That was an immediate reality. When we walked into the waterpark there were many parents lingering about fully dressed in pants and long sleeves/sweaters, some even in winter boots looking completely comfortable. They were there for a child's birthday party. They were not hot in the least and even most of the lifeguards were wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants. It was a bit hard to tell who the lifeguards even were and it seemed there was often only one lifeguard wandering between all areas which would make it impossible to do their job effectively. The water was warm but the air temperature was cool. Our skinny five year old had blue lips after about 15 minutes. He was not the only slim child I saw with blue lips and shivering. The floor near the windows was unbearably cold to stand on barefoot. We actually could only stand staying in the park in our swimsuits by walking around with our towels wrapped around us while we followed the kids around. Also the fact that there were a bunch of fully clothed adults just sitting around made it an uncomfortable dynamic. The kids still managed to play for about three hours but often came over for warm ups with chattering teeth. I was so cold I ran up to the room and got pants, a shirt and sweatshirt on and when back down at the pool still wasn't warm because I was so chilled already. When the kids couldn't take it any longer we went up to the room and thawed them out in the shower. The room appeared clean except for some obvious long black hairs on the white shower walls. Our room was on the third floor and I asked for a room with an exterior window. The room had no unplesant odor. Had we not gone to the room to get ready before the waterpark we would have thought it smelled, but it was just that our noses were burned out from the chemical smells at the pool. Walking down the hallways you could hear lots of kids in other rooms but when in out room we never heard anything outside of our room. There was a wall heater right next to the bed that blew forced air when on. This made for a really dry environment and the constant turing on and off kept me up until I turned it off at 2AM. Even when it was set to off, it occasionally turned on.
Just my husband and I ate at George's Chophouse. I had a really great cup of hot cocoa (still trying to warm up) the fried three cheese ravioli was good and it all went downhill from there. We actually were wondering if maybe our waiter really didn't work there because he was utterly clueless. I heard other servers that knew the menu and ingredients inside and out, our waiter, said they just changed the menu so he wasn't sure about what came with what. My husband wasn't sure what he wanted to drink immediately so asked for a few minutes to decide and the waiter never again asked him if he wanted anything to drink and he didn't ask me if I wanted a second cup of cocoa or something else. He did keep our water cups full consistently. Our side ceasar salads were drownded in dressing to the point I couldn't even finish mine and I could live on ceasar salad. Also there were no croutons on them. I got a french dip which had great textures, but no real remarkable flavor to any of it, I only ate half. My husband got salmon. It was a really large piece, bigger than he wanted and the sauce was only on top of the small amount of mixed greens on the plate. There is no dessert on the menu but the server did know what there was for dessert. Basically several cheesecake options. We decided to split a piece of turtle cheesecake. I didn't know cheesecake could be so lousy. It was rubbery like it had too many eggs in it and didn't taste fresh. It looked amazing. What a disappointment. We didn't finish it because it was so bad. We kept turning it around this way and that thinking there had to be a good side or crust but it just wasn't worth eating. We went back to the room and were hungry a bit later but didn't want to venture out in the cold for something better to eat or spend any more money on food. The bed was comfy, pillows nice, towels fluffy except for the bathmat. It had a good part of the seam torn partially off and dangling which seemed like an obvious choice for replacement. The breakfast buffet was fine and they were still restocking it at 10:30.
All in all, I wouldn't go to the waterpark in cold weather again, would not ever go to the restaurant again for anything but breakfast, but would be happy to stay in a room again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an exterior window or you may get a room that only has a window to the pool and...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank amybean
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites. I appreciate you letting us know about the things that happened during your stay, so we can fix them. Our goal is to make sure everyone has a great stay and we meet your expectations. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay further so we can hopefully convince you to give us another chance.
Please contact the General Manager at 608-826-0500

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - home of Crawdaddy Cove Waterpark

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We have stayed at this hotel twice and had issues both times. The first time we stayed they decided to replace the hotwater tank that morning so we had to take cold showers. This is something that should have been doing later in the afternoon, not during the peak time for showers. When we had something at check out they did not even off an apology. The kids (ages 3 and 4) did enjoy the pool, however, so we decided to stay there again on a recent trip. It was our half way point for our 12 hr ride and we thought the kids would enjoy the pool. Our room had cobwebs, we had to call twice for a plunger before one finally arrived after an hour of waiting. When we checked in that evening there was old food sitting on one of the tables in the common area outside our room, it was still there in the morning. That morning the kids woke up early and were ready to swim, we had a room right off the pool and saw them putting chlorine in at 0830. We called the front desk to see what time the pool opens and were told 0900, so at 0900 we headed out and saw the closed sign was still up, there was also yellow comes all around the pool. The lifeguard was sitting right next to the entrance gate we were standing at. He never acknowledged us, he was too busy playing on his phone, the kids were getting restless, asking when can they go swimming, finally at about 0915 the pool maintenance man came over and told us it would be at least another 45 min before they opened the pool due to the chemicals. That would mean the pool would not open until 1000 and we had to check out at 1100. We went back to our room and called the front desk to let they know we were disappointed about the pool not opening at the scheduled time. We were told due to safety the pool would be opened late today and to remember our pool passes were good all day, so we could still check out of our room and use the pool. We were never given an apology. By now the kids were hungry and didn't understand why we weren't swimming. I went to the front desk to see how I could be compensated for what had occured. I told them the least they could do was to get breakfast for the kids, apparently the $9.99 breakfast buffet was closed so the kids got a bowl of fruit loops. I explained to them that we are traveling and this is cutting into our traveling time, also, I paid $130 for this room and don't feel like I should have to move all of our stuff to the pool area and use the public changing area. I also think the pool should have been chlorinated the night before, not 30 min before it is scheduled to open. I feel they should have at least extended my dismissal time by an hour so my kids would have had an hour to swim. They did not offer anything, not even an apology. Very poor customer service. The lifeguard was expecially rude. I would not stay here again, no matter how much the kids like the pool.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManagerps, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize that the waterpark was not open in the morning during your stay due to the chlorine levels in the waterpark and how it was handled by the staff. It is for the safety of our guests to monitor the levels of the water in the pool, and I apologize for inconvenience it caused. It is our goal to make sure everyone has a great experience at the hotel. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay further. Please contact the General Manager at the hotel (608-203-4700) to hopefully give us another chance to make things right.

Thank you for your time.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My 9 year old son and I spent the 30th and 31st at this hotel. We had been there a couple of years ago, and he and I really liked the mini water park, the lobby and the restaurant, but I didn't like the room we had. It had water park access, and had no window. It also had a clorine smell. This time, we got a kids suite with the bunk beds and a window facing the outside. It was very clean, and my son loved the bunk beds. The hotel is needing some updating, but I am happy if it is clean, which it was. It had a walk in shower, a refrigerator and a micowave. It had two new flat screen TV's-one in the bunk area and one in the general area.The water park was still good-it was clean and well kept up. It is a mini water park, but we knew that going in. There were either three or four lifeguards, and they were attentive. On new years eve, the hotel had kids movies playing. The front desk staff, Adam, was very nice and helpful. Since it was so cold out while we were there, we mostly stayed in the hotel, and had enough to do. We also ate a George's Chop House, which is attached to the hotel. We at dinner one night, and the breakfast buffet twice. The food was good and kids ate free.

Room Tip: If you want a window to the outside, make sure you ask. There are several rooms that have windows t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jlwcats
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. Crawdaddy Cove is the perfect getaway for young children. The hotel offers a variety of room types including suites, family suites and kids suites. If you do have any special request we do suggest you let us know in advance. We always try to honor requests the best we can, so you can have an enjoyable stay with us. If you would like to discuss your stay with me further please call the hotel direct and ask for the General Manager

Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West