“OLD”

Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“OLD”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

A group of us ended up at this hotel after deciding to go a Badger game at the last minute, and this was the only one left on the East side that wasn't $500. "Old" is the adjective that describes this property the best. It seems as if they remodeled the lobby/pool area to make a good first impression, but disregarded the rooms completely.

In the room, the carpet is outdated and you can see it's age by the fact that the color is so much more vibrant next to the wall where it doesn't get walked on. The pullout couches have cushions that are COMPLETELY discolored and musty. Even though we only needed one pullout, our suite had two, with one of them having a broken frame. When we called the front desk just to let them know, their response was "you are only supposed to have 1 anyway." Ok then. In addition, the bedding for the pullout was full of holes and smelled like feet.

Speaking of the front desk, we asked whether they had a shuttle to campus when we checked in, and were told no. We went upstairs and got ourselves together before coming down and asking a DIFFERENT associate to call us a cab. She asked why we didn't just take the shuttle that left 10 minutes ago. We told her that we were informed they didn't have a shuttle, prompting her to reply "Oh- today's her first day" with no apology what-so-ever. Frustrating to say the least.

Another thing that isn't really a complaint, just something that seems odd. The pool is right inside the front door. Maybe it wouldn't be so strange if there was a half-wall or something to set it apart from the lobby, but the way it's laid out looks very zoo-like, with everyone around the pool being on display.

There are much better hotels for the money than the Crowne Plaza. Do yourself a favor and find one of them.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. Although it is very disappointing we did not meet your expectations, the feedback is beneficial as it helps us to resolve issues for future guests.

I apologize for the issues you incured during your stay with us. We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Sandy Harper
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I really enjoyed my weekend stay at the Crowne Plaza in Madison. I've stayed at two or three other CP's (Minneapolis area and Orlando) and this one by far was my favorite. From the moment I walked through the door I was treated well, and all staff (front desk, waiter, maintenance staff) were polite, courteous, and friendly. We were upgraded to a king suite (thank you!), even though we had booked through Priceline. I have stayed with other hotels who basically throw you crumbs and give you poor service when they see priceline - so this was a refreshing change.

The location is very easily accessible right off 90/94/39 and only 6 miles to the capitol and State Street. It's right across the street from a mall, and there are lots of restaurants, salons, grocery stores, and strip malls just minutes away.

We were upgraded to a king suite which was quite nice. The front area had a desk, TV, coffee table, and a queen-size hideaway sofa bed. Also was a small wet bar area (for lack of better term) with a sink, coffee maker, microwave and fridge. The bedroom area was quite large and I loved the furniture and décor (although a couple extra pillows would have been a nice touch). Bathroom was nicely done and all of the standard bathroom amenities were wonderful! Room was very clean for the most part. Only thing I noticed was that there were some crumbs underneath the TV stand- which you probably couldn't see while vacuuming, but were noticeable from the bed. Also the wallpaper could use a little gluing down around some seams. Otherwise the whole hotel was very neat, clean, and tidy.

The breakfast was very good- twice we had the $13.95 buffet. It's a bit more than I would usually spend, but that includes free juice and coffee. There was a very nice selection of bacon (applewood and turkey), scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, baguette french toast,lots of muffins, waffles, and loads of fresh fruit- so you do get your money's worth. And the quality is wonderful. Also, if you are travelling with family, I believe kids 12 and under eat free-- so that almost knocks it down to fast food prices. Great ambiance, and our server Adam was delightful.

Internet was free. THANK YOU. Nowadays, it really should be free anywhere you stay. I've stayed at one star dumps with free internet, so it does ruffle my feathers when higher end places charge for it. Also, the room seemed very quiet, even though the hotel was quite full.

My only disappointment was that the pool seemed extremely cold. I thought I was just being a wimp, but it looks like others have commented on how chilly the pool is. I tried to get acclimated but after about 5 minutes I just spent the rest of the time in the hot tub. Very large- but hard to have a conversation with other adults because there were lots of young kids in there at 10pm. Other than that, it was truly a great stay, and I would be more than happy to stay at the Crowne Plaza next time I'm in Madison.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
smalltown
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I've stayed at different properties around Madison and I expected the Crown Plaza to live up to it's name. The front desk staff was gracious and accomadating. Bar tenders and waitresses were friendly and helpful. Our breakfasts were kitchen made and not out of a microwave. That was quite a plus. Our room was on the Club Floor, and it was quite large. The carpet stains were abundant and the front room tv couldn't be controlled by the remote.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I am very glad you encounted good service from the bar, as well as the front desk. You are correct in that our breakfast are not microwaved, but prepared fresh by the kitchen staff.

I am disappointed there were stains on the carpet in your room, and that one of the TV remote controls did not work properly. I don't know if you called the front desk to have it replaced, but they would have been more than happy to do that for you.

We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you during your next visit to Madison.

Two Rivers, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Room was clean and tidy. Desk staff pleasant and helpful -willing to give me suggestions about area bike trails and walking trails. Road construction was going on in front of the hotel, but it still was easy access. Mall right across the road - very convenient to stores and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. We appreciate your kind words, and very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

We strive to exceed all guests expectations, and hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to Madison.

Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed at the Crowns Plaza with a large group for a wedding. Upon arrival there was a dirty diaper in the garbage can of my room. If they didn't empty my garbage can it makes me wonder what else was not cleaned. A friend of mine staying in a different room was not able to check into her room 1 hour after the stated check-in time. Thankfully we were only forced to sleep here for 1 night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Sandy H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Madison, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madison. First let me aplogize for the diaper being in the garbage in your room. There is no excuse and that was totally unacceptable. We have been training new staff in housekeeping, and I assure you this will be brought to the Managers attention.

I would also like to apologize for the later than normal check in. I understand what an inconvenience this is, especially when you are attending a wedding, and I'm sure wanting to freshen up.

I do appreciate the comments so issues can be addressed. We strive to provide the finest service in the area, and it is very upsetting to the entire staff when we don't exceed guests expectations.

Sandy Harper

Travellers are raving about these Madison hotels