See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

As with the old English style of time gone by, inside the hotel is very dark, which took a bit of time to get used to. However the hotel is full of charm with antique furnishing. Our room was large and the bed was comfortable. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The food is delicious. There are nice areas to sit outside and soak up some sun.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2018

The rooms are really dark with poor lightning. The walls are so thin, I could hear my neighbor speaks over the phone late at night. All the people walking in the corridor could be heard like they were in the room. A dog started to bark outside for 20 minutes and it woke my family and I in the middle of the night and it was hard to fall back asleep.

The breakfast was good but served in a room again really dark, no light.

The WIFI is only available in the lobby, not even in the restaurant area.

Overall, would not recommend.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

This place could be really nice as there is clearly a lot of history here. Unfortunately, it is awful.

Our room was connected to the next room by a door. There were gaps between the door and the frame, meaning that we could hear the people in the next room as if they were in our room. They were playing music until very late, shouting and a child was screaming. This then started again at 6:30am. We went next door to ask them to be a little quieter and there was at least six people in the triple room.

The WiFi was very poor.

There was also lots of ants in the bathroom. As soon as you got rid of them, more appeared.

Avoid!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

We went on guided trip and spent one night there. The Room was cold and withou heating, only option was the fire place but we needed to pay to get it started. The water was not that hot either. Maybe its different during high season summer time.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2017

Our driver booked this for us. It was ok but nothing was exceptional. If I had my choice I would have moved. I found it to be just acceptable. Its a beautiful old building and could be amazing with some updates to the rooms but this property is lacking in so many ways.

Rooms are huge but cold. Very old bedding and no heating. You need heating here.

Probably the worst bathroom I've encountered in Sri Lanka. No curtain, bathroom floods, very poor pressure, wobbly fixtures.

It was a bit spooky, which we did like as we had the entire hotel to ourselves. It's an historic home but a very weird feel.

It's extremely clean, I can't fault that. We saw staff cleaning constantly.

Many staff for not many guests.

Breakfast was ok. We ordered Sri Lankan breakfast which was basic but improved next day. The assumed we wanted western. Very slow to get breakfast and a very uncomfortable dining room considering we sat there......alone.

We didn't dislike this place, its quite gracious, just odd.

Fawlty Towers, definitely.