All reviewscouple of nightspoolsparadisesylvieviewsbaliyogaatispiritventurevolcanomosquitoes
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We've been now the third time in Bali, always travelling around and staying in small hotels our villas. Our four days in the Surya Shanti were fantastic, maybe our best stay in Bali ever. We really enjoyed everythink: Nice villas, large & comfordable and great interior, with breathtaking view to the valley. Three nice pools and a great garden. Extremely friendly and authentic staff. Thanks Gede, we will not forget the Yoga-Session in the temple - best wished to the house snake...
No unnecessary gadgets (TV, DVD Player). We enjoyed the cooking class and the 3h walk through rice fields to the temple.
The concept of the Hotel is really great. Everyone in the Hotel is really committed to show the "real" Bali.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This place was so good, I almost don't want to leave a review, lest I contribute to its discovery! Where to start?

Firstly, the staff really made an effort to make our honeymoon special and their attention to detail was wonderful. When we arrived we were greeted by the very friendly and professional young guy at reception (Gede possibly?), who escorted us up the hill to the restaurant where we were given a refreshing welcome drink and a complimentary foot bath and massage. We were then taken to our beautiful room, where a heart-shaped cake and certificate of congratulations from the management awaited us. When we were shown round the room we saw that the huge bath tub had been filled and petals had been scattered all over the water. The restaurant didn't open till later but they opened it especially for us because we hadn't eaten and the spring rolls I had were the freshest and finest I've ever had. Spot on.

In addition to the friendliness of the staff and attention to detail, the setting of this place is quite is extraordinary. The infinity pool looks out over an amphitheatre of paddy fields, where you can watch the locals working in the fields (you do feel a bit lazy, but it makes for some great photo opportunities)! The room was also lovely and the staff were all so helpful (especially Gede and Sugi?). A beautiful, peaceful hideaway. If you value friendliness, peace and quiet, nature, local life, and a bit of luxury, you couldn't do better than this place.

A perfect end to our honeymoon. Thank you Surya Shanti!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theworldisadewdrop
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My Husband and I stopped at Surya Shanti for a few nights on our honeymoon. I found this hotel to be a little slice of heaven. Sidemen is one of the most relaxing, peaceful places I have ever visited. This hotel is in complete harmony with it's environment . The property is magnificent, covered in gardens and fish ponds and surrounded by rice paddies and mountains. The staff is warm, kind, and extremely accommodating. The food was delicious; they grow their own vegetables right on the property. The hotel is small, which gives it a wonderful boutique feel. If you are interested in yoga or meditation, I would definitely arrange to have Mangku come to the property to teach you his own yoga/meditation Bayu Surya.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BethFields83
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I've never written a Trip Advisor review before (lazy), but this place is just that special!
My husband and I had some trouble contacting the Surya Shanti by phone, and were late and stressed out by the time we found this place tucked into the rice paddy covered hillside, well past dark. The staff greeted us warmly and took us upstairs (quite a vertical layout- good for views, could be hard on knees for some) for a lovely iced tea and they just put us both at instant ease. We were shown to our room- spacious, beautiful lighting, flowers strewn here and there... the most romantic and beautiful setting- I WISH we had come here for our honeymoon! Our room had his and hers sinks and a big bathtub for two.
The next morning we woke to a fabulous sun rise view of the rice paddies. Included breakfast had an omelet bar, fresh fruit, fresh juice etc... very nice flower arrangements and attentive staff.
The pool around back was super clean and pristine. Although there was other guests, we felt we had the place to ourselves. I think they have 11 rooms total. We were only booked for one night, but had to stay two! Some past reviews were hard on the food, it was clearly fresh and beautifully presented. We only ate one meal besides breakfast here, but were impressed. We stopped at a couple other villas around Sideman, and there were plenty with pleasant dining areas with personal takes on Indo classic dishes. I hope I don't have a hand in making Sideman blow up, I think the best part of this village is its sleepy charm!
I'm really having trouble finding anything bad to say about Surya Shanti. I suppose it is a bit pricey for Bali standards, once you add on tax etc, but I felt we got a deluxe experience for our money. Make sure your taxi driver can get to Sideman -phone service was spotty due to their mountainous location, once in town everyone knows Surya Shanti and it is well marked with signs directing you well off the main road.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VillaIncognito
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This place was so different from all the other places we've stayed in Bali- it's amazing how many different landscapes this tiny island has. This is a truly rural part of Bali where you are surrounded by fields and see the villagers tending to their land. All sorts of vegetables, nuts and of course rice are grown on this fertile soil. This is probably one of the few places where you can see rice being planted on one field and being harvested on another. The hotel offers complementary rice field trek which is very informative.
The villas are lovely and very comfortable, and judging by the complementary foot massage we were offered the spa is very good. But the biggest asset of this hotel is the location- the views are great. There is a constant play of light and shadows on the landscape which you can watch for hours.
This place is still very untouristy, and that's it's huge appeal. There is a handful of hotels and guesthouses relatively close to each other- Surya Shanti is right in front of them and has probably the best views. There is one little eatery nearby and a shack offering trips to the volcano, white water rafting and snorkelling trips. Otherwise you can arrange trips from the hotel and they also have a nice restaurant (offering cookery courses).
It took us a while to book a room at this hotel as the internet connection seems to be very erratic, but we've managed in the end and it was well worth it. I would definitely love to go back and spend more time there one day.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the first floor have better views (but they all seem lovely)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple