“I love this place”

Taman Sari Bali Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Pemuteran
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I love it here, old fashioned BAli resort, loads of sprawling gardens, man picking up every frangipanni leaf off the grass. Atmospheric entrance to reception. Great breakfast under leafy trees on the beach, which I thought is more than enough. This time we had a problem with the booking and I think it was unresolved at first because the reception man was unhelpful. We got a standard without a fridge and the size of a matchbox out the back, whereas last time we got quite a larger room with a fridge, looking into expanse of garden. The man at reception asked for $15 a night to move us, which we bargained down to $10, then he gave us a deluxe room. Anyway at the end of it, when checking out and trying to clarify what to expect for a standard booking, the manager gave me my money back and said I should have had a fridge room no probem. Through all this, I stiltrl love the place.
I do hate the plastic problem tho' even now in the coral garden. I was really sent on that philosophical plastic trip although the hotel sweep their rubbish away every day, as mostly I didnt see any immediately infront of the resort.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Although I can't give a 'very good' rating, we did enjoy our time at Taman Sari. Loved the snorkelling off the beach, the beach side eating and the relaxing environs. My daughter and I also much enjoyed the spa massage at far better prices than Kuta - Seminyak areas. We also enjoyed the food - though of small portions.

We had a cottage room which was pleasant until we realised how infested with mosquitoes it was (this freaked me out). Drowning ourselves in repellent and dousing the room with insect spray had a temporary effect at best. In that type of location screen protected rooms are a must and though not an expensive resort it was costly enough to warrant that level of comfort.

I noticed another review mentioning rubbish...At the time of our stay, the bay area of the resort did seem to be kept free of the rubbish and debris that is often found elsewhere. Partner went on a Menjangan snorkelling trip and spent much of his time collecting plastic bags.

Breakfast was limited and small but okay and the setting was lovely.

Oh yes, the wifi... was stated as available .. we didn't realise it would cost extra.

Room Tip: Make sure you have lots of insect repellent. Malaria tablets recommended for this area.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Everything about this hotel was great except for two things. I'll start with the good, though. The staff was absolutely fabulous. They were training the weekend we were there, so there were lots of staff on hand, and everywhere you went everyone said hello with a smile. Everyone was very helpful. We had a standard room (cheapest) and it was relatively good value for money. The room was fine, bed was comfortable, bathroom was nice. We didn't spend much time in the room anyhow since there is plenty to do around Menjangan Island and Pemuteran (diving, snorkeling, hiking, etc). They have a restaurant right on the beach but the food is pretty average.

Now for the downsides:

1. The amount of trash on the beach and in the water was truly unimaginable. I can't believe that between all of the hotels in Pemuteran they can't spare a few staff each to do a huge beach cleanup a couple of times a day. We were there in the rainy season, which means a lot of trash from Indonesia is carried into West Bali. But that doesn't mean it should just be left there in the water. We spent a lot of our time there just picking up plastic. We even found a hypodermic needle in the sand.

2. The hotel offered wifi for $6 per hour. To me, this is ridiculous. I have been living in Bali and know that wifi is readily available (for free) nearly everywhere you go. To pay $6 per hour is just outrageous. Even though this hotel was very nice, I wouldn't go back just because they don't offer free wifi. For those of us who sometimes have to bring our work along on holiday with us, we can't afford to be in a place that doesn't allow us to use our computer.

Other than those two things, it was a very pleasant weekend.

4  Thank rtobias
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We spent five wonderful nights here. It is perhaps the first hotel in Pemuteran and is very nicely and warmly run. Our suite was close to the beach and the restaurant, with a stream and moat around it. The vlilla has a Balinese outside bathroom, with the shower having bright yellow flowers around it. There are two day beds and a romantic four post king bed. The restaurant, including breakfast, was very friendly and the food generally good. They have Illy coffee. The spa is very good, with very competent Balinese massages for 150,000 rpa. Right next to the snorkelling reef. Very relaxing and not far from other places to eat. Staff very helpful. Certainly, we would stay there again, as opposed for example to Matahari which is souless and far from anywhere else. A very good dive centre next door that takes you to the island, a must-do.

Room Tip: Near the beach is great. We stayed in Frog
Reviewed 12 January 2012

If you are a serious snorkeler you should definitely come to Pemuteran to go to Menjagan Island. We spent several nights at Taman Sari and thought it was the nicest place on the beach. We stayed in the Gekko Suite, which was delightful. Beautiful views from the terrace on the second floor and lovely outdoor bathroom. The best was quite clean and the water was clear while we were there. There is a pretty small resort so it was not at all crowded. Dining on the beach is quite nice although we thought the dinner food was mediocre. Breakfast was much better.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pemuteran
0.7 km away
10.6 km away
The Menjangan
The Menjangan
#1 of 4 in West Bali National Park

Been to Taman Sari Bali Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK