Well worth all the raves - I loved it and will be back (but of course I have comments). I'm going to focus only on BREAKFAST and THE GYM (to not repeat other reviews):
1) breakfast: is fascinating, a highlight of the day and really takes you places no hotel breakfast has ever taken you before. You are a long way from a Hilton breakfast buffet: it is all a la carte and in terms of content there is no concession to the waffles crowd - it is all about interesting raw food and unrefined choices, including a porridge made of young coconut that is incredibly filling and makes you feel virtuous. Perfect after a strenuous 7 aim hike followed by yoga. The only problem is that you get one item from each category and they try to be very strict about this. We had a major drama because we wanted extra fruit and none of the breads, but this was not possible. At the price point people are paying, they should just let guests eat what they want.
2) the gym: this is really the only major point at which this spectacularly gorgeous and well-appointed place lets the guest down. The gym is very much an afterthought, a rundown space with a crumbling floor and equipment that is antiquated and breaking down - not what one would expect of a health-oriented establishment really. The main strength-training equipment is a creaking and ancient multi-gym and some rather low-weight dumbbells. Limited stretching mats. For cardio, just two treadmills, a cross-trainer and a rowing machine (all pretty dated). There is a TV screen to be shared by all the cardio machines and two headsets that are supposed to work at distance but did not. It rained constantly and we were disappointed we couldn't get good workouts in the downtime.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COMO Shambhala Estate is a residential health retreat with luxury villa-style accommodations near Ubud, Bali. This ‘Retreat for Change’ is a place to relax and improve wellbeing. State-of-the-art wellness facilities include a Vitality pool, private treatment areas beside the River Ayung, a climbing wall, gym, Pilates studio and yoga pavilion. The Estate’s Resident Experts, who all support the 360-degree approach to wellness, include a Yoga Master, Ayurvedic Doctor and guides for outdoor activities, with nutritional menus by COMO Shambhala Cuisine. The range of suites and villas, perched above the Balinese jungle, suits independent guests, couples, or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, HotelQuickly and Ctrip TA so you can book your COMO Shambhala Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Como Shambhala Estate Hotel Payangan
- COMO Shambhala Estate Payangan, Bali