“Beautiful and stunning location” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Amankila
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Fullerton, California
“Beautiful and stunning location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Just came back from a four nights family reunion stay at Amankila (40+ people). The hotel is beautifully located with stunning view of the coast. View from our room is also beautiful. Our bungalow (#35) has very good privacy. Staffs are excellent, courteous and very attentive to our every needs. Will definitely come back on another occasion.

Negatives would be the fitness/gym facility (only treadmill/elliptical and minimal dumbbells. Not a good hotel if you are elderly due to the many steps/stairs to get to your bungalows. Plus the bathroom has steps/can be slippery for seniors. Also hot water (is set to be very hot) can scald you if not careful.

Room Tip: Suite 35, 34 (with pool), 36 and 37 has good privacy, beautiful views, yet pretty close to the lobby
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just returned from another amazing week at Amankila. Everything was just as I remembered it- beautiful place, beautiful people. We had the Kilasari Suite again and it was so peaceful with a beautiful view. The food was fantastic - my favorite lunch was the vegetarian nasi goreng! They also had a visiting Indian chef from Amanbagh so there was some great choices at dinner time.
The only mistake we made was visiting Ubud for the day. We had not been to Ubud for about 14 years and after the peace and quiet of Amankila it was utter chaos. It has certainly changed since our last visit - much more like Kuta now. We did however have a lovely lunch at the Aman resort in Ubud overlooking the paddy fields.
We again visited the day spa for a few massages and facials - total bliss.
We plan to return to Amankila again next year.

Room Tip: Kilasari Suite is awesome.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We just returned from our third trip to Amankila in April, and it was just as amazing as ever - simply spectacular in every way. In fact, we changed our flights and extended our stay - we just couldn't leave. Amankila is one of the most magical places in the world, it's my favorite resort ever (and I've stayed at a lot of luxury resorts). It really is out of this world, it's a philosophy, everyone should experience - at least once in their lifetime. But do be warned, once you go, you will want to go back, again and again.

It all begins when your driver pulls up at the entrance and Tracy the gorgeous General Manager and her beautiful Balinese staff are there waiting on the steps to greet you "Welcome home to the Amankila family Bapak and Ibu [your surname]", they say as you step out of the car. Then you are escorted to your gorgeous Balinese style thatch-roofed beach house nestled high on a lush green cliff where a delightful welcome drink awaits you. The suites are very luxurious and comfortable, traditional Balinese style which I love, with nice marble floors and a beautiful bath with water lily-filled ponds just outside the window and an ultra comfortable four poster bed with white fluffy pillows. You will hear the sounds of birds cheeping and delightful Balinese music playing in the background. Lovely little local gifts and hand written welcome cards from the General Manager are just all part of the special personal touch, and on this last trip we were sent the most stunning bunch of tubular roses, again with a lovely hand written note. When we came back to the room after breakfast one morning the staff had placed beautiful little Amankila bookmarks inside our books we'd left in the room, such a gorgeous little surprise.

And then there's the rest of the property which is of course absolutely stunning. Amankila's three-tier swimming pool and surrounding stairways and immaculate gardens with views over the ocean are simply breathtaking. The inspiration behind the design is the Royal Water Palace of East Bali - and you will feel like royalty when you are there. In the afternoons they serve a lovely afternoon tea and adorable little Balinese girls will welcome you with traditional Balinese offerings with pretty flowers, they were so cute.

And then there's the beach club lap pool which is equally as exquisite - surrounded by beautiful palm trees, rows of bougainvillea and a frangipani tree at the end, it's just so gorgeous and relaxing. If you're lucky you might even return from swimming a few laps only to find one of the gorgeous staff polishing your sunglasses. And there's also Amankila's private beach where you will find private bales and lounges if you feel like a swim in the sea. I really loved the lush jungle-like landscape by the beach. Water sport activities are available here. On this last trip I tried the kayaking and paddle boarding and the staff were all so friendly and helpful and very good instructors. My husband and I went out on the hobie cat the trip before and that was also fun.

The service is always absolute perfection - always personable, always with a friendly smile. Wherever you are the staff will all know your name and you won't ever have to sign a check (until the day you leave). It's all part of the Aman philosophy - they want you to feel like you're staying amongst friends and family - which of course you do (only in the most spectacular setting).

The food served in the restaurants and at the pools is wonderful. They have a great variety of Indonesian and Western foods - we were fans of both. We had a lot of fun trying all the local Indonesian dishes, and loved the duck and lamb curries. The fillet mignon steak which was a special one night was amazing - we wish it was permanently on the menu actually, it was so good. One of the other couples said the passionfruit soufflé was the best soufflé they had ever had. I had intended to try it, however, I only ever had room for the sorbet for desert after the daily afternoon tea and the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies they have in the rooms. Next time...

The Amankila massages are simply beyond! Both my husband and I agree they are the best we've ever had.

On this last trip we signed up for the morning cruise on Aman XII. We absolutely loved it. My only regret was not doing this sooner. The boat is a traditional style Balinese fishing boat - but with that special Aman touch, of course! Lovely white cushions, cruising around East Bali in luxury, you see a stunning view of Amankila from the sea, then snorkeling with our own private guide we saw lots of tropical fish including a baby sting ray, trumpets, lots of angel fish, parrot fish, damsels, bat fish, butterfly fish, snapper, and so much more. After we finished snorkeling, an amazing lunch of ciabatta bread with salmon and brie and a ham and cheese croissant, freshly cut tropical fruit with passionfruit sprinkled on top and cakes and tea and coffee and fresh juice - awaited us and was all set up beautifully on the deck. What better way to start the day!

On one of our previous stays I did the horse riding activity on the volcanic black sands of Saba Beach which was also spectacular. It was so lovely riding through the crashing waves on this local beach, just don't canter on the way back, as your horse may want to gallop back towards the stables.

There are so many wonderful activities on offer and I'm sure they're all great, but I have to confess we could only bring ourselves to leave the property on two occasions for the above activities (except for our morning runs through the local villages). We've always chosen to spend most of our time (even during our last stay which was for a week) at the property. Once there, you will love it so much you just wont want to leave (and we weren't alone, other guests we met were also saying the same).

As we were leaving I asked Alejandro one of the friendly, bright and helpful staff who works with Tracy which chocolate they used, he said it was Belgian chocolate and would find out the name for me. Five minutes later Alejandro returned and presented us with the name of the chocolate written on a piece of paper - as well as a beautifully wrapped box tied with ribbon with some of this delicious chocolate inside. This is just an example of the exceptional kind of service you will find at Amankila - the attention to detail is beyond.

The only bad part about any stay at Amankila is leaving. You wont want to. Although, even that is an experience you wont forget - you will be chauffeured to the airport in the comfort of the Amankila car complete with Wi-Fi and iPod and a friendly, knowledgeable driver and treated like a celebrity once you arrive at the airport as you are escorted through the express check in service by the Aman representative.

This is my first Trip Advisor review, I don't usually write travel reviews, however, Amankila is just so magical I simply had to.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Rachel A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

What a spectacular property. Service is also a 10. Tracy and her staff will treat you like royalty. The price tag is more than others, but you get what pay for here: high quality and an unforgettable experience. The Beyond Bali package helps bring the per night expense down if you are staying multiple nights...see their website.

Room Tip: Look into the ocean villa for the best views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
JAKARTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Aman Resorts are a collection of small luxury boutique resorts located throughout exotic locations in the world. The brand has garnered near cult like status among it’s many fervent followers, known as Amanjunkies, so much so that a stay at an Aman is regarded as an experience of a lifetime for many people.

Established by it’s visionary founder and hotelier Adrian Zecha, Aman strives to provide an intimate and relaxing environment for vacationers, with emphasis on personalized service, beautiful surroundings, culture, fabulous food and ultimate in comfort. So it is no wonder that I have very high expectations for my first stay at an Aman resort.

Arriving

Right from the get go, Aman distinguished itself in the service department. While other resorts in Bali have an airport staff that pick up guest at the terminal exit, Aman provides meet and greet service at the airport as a standard. After exiting my plane, I met up with the Aman airport representative carrying a sign who helped me with my luggage. Then another staff ( greeter? ) showed me to my car. The encounter with the greeter was rather comical. Perhaps he was new, or he has yet to learn more variety of welcoming phrases, he bided me welcome and repeated the same sentence in English “Thank you for choosing Amankila Mr Lee! It’s a great honor to have you stay with us!” at least 3 times while we are waiting for the car. Well, I supposed I at least have to compliment him for trying. :D

The car is a Toyota Kijang, a common utility van popular in Indonesia, but was not known for it’s ride quality, and it shows. The ride to the resort was nearly 2 hours long due to traffic jam and it’s jerky and occasionally uncomfortable with bumps on the road. To the resort’s credit, they do try to make the journey as comfortable as possible, with cold soft drinks, snacks, iPod and Wifi connectivity and comfortable pillows in the car.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by my welcome party, with a chorus of smiles and welcome and promptly shown to my accommodation. I booked an Ocean suite and had earlier requested the resort to give me one with the best possible ocean view. So I was quite glad to be assigned the famed and much sort after Suite #37. Perched high up the resort, it offers the best panoramic view of the ocean and has both sunrise and sunset views. It’s more like a villa, with it’s own private terrace, minus the pool.

The Suite

The Ocean suite #37 in short, is fabulous and it’s not just the view. It’s arguably the nicest resort villa I have ever stayed, both amenity and design wise. One thing that strikes me first thing first is the amazing design. Designed by Ed Tuttle, there is a natural flow in the suite, with all things in their proper place. The bathroom, mini bar, walk in closet are perfectly integrated in a seamless and timeless design.

Walking into the suite, the high ceiling immediately conveys a generous sense of space. There is of course a comfortable 4-poster king size bed, a large day bed by the window with ocean views, dual vanity areas, rainforest shower, large soaking tub by the window, and a first for me, dual closets. A gourmet coffee machine is provided that features excellent coffee, as well as a Bose iPod dock and an iPod with preloaded music. Snacks are provided complimentary as well. The outdoor terrace also has a large sofa bed to enjoy the view and a workdesk. Wireless internet is free to use throughout the suite and resort. There is no TV in the room though I requested the resort to setup one for me. In short, nothing is missing or overlooked.

Overall, the emphasis here is understated luxury that is both elegant and comfortable, with near unparalleled attention to detail. The materials used are of the finest quality, with a strong Balinese influence and I would have never guessed that this resort is actually already 20 years old! That is a testimony of how well the resort has been meticulously maintained throughout the years. The interior area is fenced by a series of intelligent sliding windows to keep out any insects or unwelcomed visitors at night. The suite is well lid at night. Even the knobs and taps on the vanity area were custom made. It’s also great to sleep to the sound of ocean waves. Overall, It’s a supremely comfortable place to stay and just relax.

Common Areas

The resort only has 34 suites so it is very boutique in nature. It does not boast the vast expansive compound or numerous facilities the larger resorts have. There are only two restaurants, one serving breakfast and lunch, one serving only dinner and there’s also a beach club that serve snacks. The resort can also organized private dinning at the beach or in the privacy of the suite.

The signature feature of Amankila is the famous three tier infinity pool. The view overlooking the ocean from the pool is beautiful, but unfortunately spoiled by some oil tanker vessels that parked at the sea. There’s also a library with a large collection of books and magazines. There are some bales located around the swimming pool area to enjoy the view.

The beach club is located some distance from the resort and accessible by a long flight of stairs ( 5 mins walk ) or by buggy which the resort can arrange. There’s another larger swimming pool at the beach club. Walking further, one can access the beach front. Unfortunately, the sand is of a very dark greyish color and soggy, so neither visually appealing nor great for walking. There is nothing of interest nearby and there are some bales along the beachfront which one can get the beach staff to set it up. The place was rather deserted when I was there. It is not a very attractive beach front to be honest and I didn’t felt like lingering and left shortly. The three other resorts I have been to, namely St Regis, W and Four Seasons Jimbaran all have nicer beaches in comparison.

Amankila Food

F&B is often touted as a strong point for all Aman resorts and the Amankila is as well, with one glaring exception. As a foodie myself, I was looking forward to see how the resort measured up in this aspect. I had most of my meals at the resort for the 2 days of my stay and food quality is generally exceptional, and well presented. One should definitely try the Indonesian food, which is fresh, authentic and very well prepared. The resort also features a great selection for in-room dinning, with western and Indonesian choices and the prices are reasonable. The best meal I had is easily the duck ( Bebek Bukaka ) in coconut curry source, a local Balinese delicacy. Also, the kitchen is obliging to meet special request. While having a beer at the beach club, I suddenly craved for fried chicken wings wasn’t in the menu. The staff at the beach club was nice enough to get the kitchen to make for me. It goes without saying that it’s very delicious.

The glaring exception is the breakfast, which measured against the high standards set by the Amankila on other aspects, becomes in comparison, downright mediocre. The breakfast concept is generally well executed, ie one can order anything off the breakfast menu and they will prepare it Ala Carte to ensure freshness. However, I had breakfast once in the terrace restaurant and once by in-room dinning and both times failed to be impressed. Food quality was just OK, not outstanding. For example, despite specific instructions, they couldn’t seem to get my omelet done right ( I prefer it “runny”, they served it overcooked ). The chicken porridge was tasteless. The croissant wasn’t flaky. The pastries didn’t taste like it was freshly baked. It just didn’t taste as fresh and delicious as the other meals I had. Also, I asked for waffles and they don’t have ( huh? ), and only the most basic type of jams are available ( I asked for blueberry jam which was not available ). Perhaps if I had complained on the spot, they might have got it done right, but I rather prefer they got it right the first time.

The Service

Many Aman guests have raved about Aman’s service and it is not difficult to see why. First, of course all the staff are very well trained, smile a lot and always helpful. There is also the convenience of not needing to sign any bills after meals or after using any of the service. The staff does a great job to remember and address me by name. So no complaints when come to service. It’s just that perhaps my expectation is higher than usual after hearing so much from other travelers about Aman’s near legendary services that I actually find the Aman’s service not exactly up to my high expectation. What I mean is that the staff are always helpful and nice, but there is nothing particularly outstanding compare with hotels and resorts that also excel in good service. In other words, there is a lack of that extra “wow” factor that impressed a discerning traveler like myself.

Perhaps I should have made some very complicated request and see how they perform but then, I was there for holiday and relaxation, not to test the staff on how they perform. Still, there should be things that I thought the Aman staff could have taken noticed if they are up to the job to perform distinguished, personalized service as per their reputation. For example, during my stay, the the weather was hot, and I tend to sweat easily, I always asked the staff for cold towel whenever I go during my stay at the Amankila, so perhaps they can be provided automatically without me asking? That will be an example of good service. Or when they could have noticed that I only ate the bananas from the fruit plate and didn’t touch others, a really smart housekeeping staff that knows what’s good service will put an extra replenishment of the fruit that I liked. These are not expected, but this is what I mean by the “extras” that defines exemplary service and appreciated by the guests.

I did use some of the additional services provided by the resort including a 2 hour trekking activity and a one hour massage. The trekking was fun as I got to see some local Balinese villages and met with the villagers. The guide was very knowledgeable about the local village culture.

Only one thing that kind of bother me is that the welcome and greeting can be rather excessive and the staff at Amankila can at times, tends to over-do it. The “problem” is, to access any of the facilities in the hotel, like the restaurants, pool or the beach, one has to walk through the lobby, and there’s no “escape” from the army of greeters stationed at all times at the lobby, ready to greet me or any other guest for that matter by name good morning / afternoon / evening and asked how’s my day and did I enjoy my stay. It’s nice for the first few instances to see they are so friendly and cheerful but becomes really a bore and repetitive by the second day when I was asked for the umpteenth time in the same way how’s my day and if everything is fine. Maybe a simple smile and a quick “Have a good day sir” will suffice?

Overall, the service is good, but as I said, it’s just that I was expecting something out of the ordinary, something extra to make a difference and it didn’t happened. However, there is nothing to fault about the service.

A word of thanks to the GM of the resort, Ms Tracy. I was having problems making the reservations thru their reservation email and she promptly intervened to make the reservations, addressed any concerns I had and also ensured all my requests were met. Her response is always fast, friendly and efficient. I have rarely encountered a more hands-on GM in my travels.

Conclusion

So here concludes my first Aman experience. Overall, it’s great. Is it perfect? Not really, due to the some of above mentioned concerns. The accommodations and the resort’s design are stunning. The views are great, the environment serene and peaceful. The food quality, except the breakfast, is generally outstanding. The service is warm and attentive but I was expecting something better by Aman’s high standards.

For any less fussy person, this resort would have been outstanding for them. Being the perfectionist that I am, I will grade the resort a high 4 out of 5. This score should not distract from the fact that the Amankila is a great property, possibly the best resort I have tried in Bali so far and I would not mind to return in future. Meantime, I am also keen to try the other Amans and continue my search for the perfect Bali resort. Or perhaps the Amankila can aspire to perfection in my books if they just improve on those aspects I mentioned. It certainly isn’t far behind.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank BENLEE123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
2.7 km away
#1 of 8 in Manggis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,038 reviews
31.1 km away
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK