“Nice Rooms and Staff!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Towson
Newport News, VA
“Nice Rooms and Staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the past two weekends -- one being an extended weekend thru Monday. We found the hotel to be a very nice place to stay. As with the other reviews, the rooms are spacious. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which had a full serve kitchen. We were pleased with the room overall -- we did find that the closet in the master bedroom had a significant amount of water from a leak (no one could ascertain from where). The staff did put in a large fan while we were gone for the day to dry the closet. The lobby staff were always friendly and helpful -- especially with directions to nearby stores. The University Club (restaurant on site) was open late and had a nice selection from a full menu and a sandwich type menu. We were very pleased with our staff and will stay there in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank swocean7
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New York State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Three night business stay. Front desk person Scott and day manager Joyce very responsive to questions about van service to local hospital and car service to Amtrak station. Morning breakfast serve staff very friendly; food offerings the usual eggs/breads/oatmeal. Exercise room has new equipment, floor mats, barbells, well appointed. Rooms VERY spacious suites, out of the ordinary for Marriott. High speed cable in rooms. I received cable and breakfast complimentary as government business traveler. Some restaurants and retail within safe walking distance.

Room Tip: All rooms same configuration. I was on 9th floor; did not notice road noise or much noise from other...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Scotch Plains, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Like others, we visit Towson frequently to see our college age son. We have never had any problems with the room, check-in or staff. The rooms are surprisingly spacious, always clean and comfortable. Lovely front desk staff. Free underground parking is a bonus. We always go to the second parking entrance as we are more likely to find an immediate spot there. You can't be any more convenient to T.U. as it is right across the street with a walking bridge off the 2nd floor that you can use. My only wish is that they would serve better quality coffee which is true across the Marriott chain.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I was extremely fortunate to stay here for a weekend conference. The rooms were amazing! I found out that they are the largest rooms in the Marriott chain. This hotel is newly renovated and is just gorgeous! There is still a bit of work going on in the conference side of the hotel, but it did not disturb us at all. The room was spotless with more than enough very upscale amentities. I found no issues with the dining as described in the previous review. Both restaurants were excellent. I even ordered carry out once and while it did come in carry out containers, it was excellent. The management was fantastic -- in fact the General Manager actually greeted me at the elevator and walked to to where we were meeting. Everyone I came in contact with was very friendly and happy. I highly recommend this Marriott to anyone traveling in the Baltimore area. It is truly worth chosing this area of Baltimore County verses the city or near the airport to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MDBarbara
Toledo Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

What a surprise to check in and call room service to find that there was none. There was NO menu and when I asked, I was told that I could order something from the restaurant menu and come downstairs to pick up the order. I asked if there was a menu and the person replied, "What do you want?" When I asked what they offered, she replied, "Lots of things, just tell me what you want." That was just the beginning.

It was 2 pm - on a Thursday -- and I had not yet had lunch so I had no choice. But it still does not end there.

I did not realize that I would be picking up a "picnic" lunch in two bags complete with a plastic spork and a plastic knife wrapped in the cellophane wrapping - and the food was in styrofoam boxes. The drinks were in plastic cups with a straw. Truly amazing.

Well, later that evening, I knew I should go downstairs to dine for dinner to avoid another picnic. But, another amazing fact occurred -- I was told they were out of the chicken and the salmon, and there was no fresh fish catch of the day. I was told they were not busy that time of year and they did not stock those foods (perhaps they might consider a different menu). Or - Perhaps I should go to the McDonalds drive through.

Also, as a Platinum member I truly enjoy most of the Marriott Concierge Lounges. Not at this hotel. It was closed for the month of January. But I was told I could get anything I wanted in the restaurant - well, not complimentary like it is in the lounge.

I am sorry but when a person stays in a hotel 225-plus nights per year, you do expect a Marriott like the one on the Towson University campus to be full service. This one clearly is not.

If you want that though, seek out another Marriott.

Other than those concerns, this Marriott did not really stand out in my mind. Service was fine but not outstanding; cleanliness was up to Marriott standards; upkeep was good; the parking is a covered garage which is nice. The entrance is quite unimpressive - you really have to navigate in a difficult manner to get into the garage in a poorly marked area and then find the elevator to the hotel. I would imagine women arriving there might have some security fears.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towson
1.2 km away
5.8 km away
Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys
#28 of 66 in Baltimore

Been to Towson University Marriott Conference Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK