“A Rare Find in Towson”

Orchard Market & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 181 Restaurants in Towson
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving classic Persian cuisine, including kebobs with basmati rice and meat stews (khoresh) and Middle Eastern fusion dishes, including Paella and seafood, in a relaxed, elegant and tranquil atmosphere of Persian carpets, a running window fountain, and traditional Persian and French music. Local artists and musicians are regulars at our small restaurant, and business is brisk on Fridays and Saturdays at 7pm. We have been in business since 1988, and strive to offer our diners the best food and service for the best possible price.
Reviewed 18 July 2017

It's hard to find a good Persian restaurant anywhere other than in a big metropolitan area like Washington, DC or London, but the Orchard Market & Café is right up there with the best. We haven't had a great Persian meal since we lived in London until finding this restaurant.

The lunch menu is a bit limited, but it still works well for a lunchtime meal. The real gem is the dinner menu, which has choices to suit the taste of anyone who enjoys Persian food. Some Persian restaurants focus mainly on kebabs, and the Orchard Market & Café has them too, but it also has a wide variety of other offerings, including a good selection for vegetarians on their dinner menu.

If you like spicy food, you'll find choices, and if you prefer milder foods, they have them too. We've eaten here a couple times, once for dinner, and once for lunch, and we'll try to make it here at least once each time we visit Towson during the summer.

The atmosphere is very pleasant. It's quiet enough to enjoy a meal with friends and family, and the service is excellent. You should try it when you're in Towson and in the mood for something different.

Finding it can be a bit of a challenge, since it's in a small group of businesses off Joppa Road, at the end of Orchard Tree Lane, and that road is easy to miss. If you're driving west, it's only a couple streets on the right past Loch Raven Blvd. If you're driving east, it's a couple streets past Mylander Lane (mostly driveways) on the left, just past Mo's Seafood. It's worth driving around a bit to find it.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Orchard Market & Cafe

Reviewed 14 July 2017

How wonderful to find a Persian restaurant whose chef is willing to adapt recipes to accommodate my special low sodium/no salt dietary regimen. Since most dishes are made from scratch, the task was not so difficult yet yielded tasty cuisine with other appropriate spices and flavors. I was given many choices and opted for an appetizer of Haleem Bademjune that features eggplant and beans with pita triangles. It was topped with a yogurt center and was more than enough for the three diners at our table. Other diners ordered and enjoyed the Mango Pear salad while I ordered a chicken dish that seemed to melt in my mouth in a sweet pomegranate sauce. Thought I was ordering the garlic eggplant sauce but another version was presented and the taste was divine so I ate most of it. The traditional rice was beautiful and plentiful though perhaps I should have asked for the crispy bottom, a real delicacy as I recall from my experience in Tehran and in the kitchen of Persian friends. Would love to return though it is quite a trek from my home in Bethesda. Nonetheless, should I be in Towson, it will be worth a second visit for sure. You have to know where it is because this strip shopping center is hidden off the main road.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

In most cases I would not review a restaurant favorably when my entree was served after my dining companions had eaten their food. I ordered paella while others ordered dishes much easier to prepare--salads, appetizers and the like. And our server, who was handling the room all by himself, did not ignore the delay. He brought me a delicious eggplant appetizer and some fresh mango (no charge) to tide me over. And I ended up bringing home a lot of paella, which I enjoyed the next day as well. So I give thumbs up to the Orchard Market.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Great for dinner too. Lunch buffet allows you to try some dishes you might not order before you try them. Buffet is good place to start.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

We had another excellent meal at the Orchard Market &cafe. This time we celebrated my birthday. Although they had the paella, which I love, as a special we took something else. We had a chicken dish, I forgot the name. It was delicious. Chicken in a curry saus with mushroom artichoke and other vegetables, sprinkled with pistachios. Unfortunately my wife left the leftovers in a box at the table. Like I said in another review, we will be back.