“Great experience”

FreeBird Express
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in Amed
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Freebird Express is the newest, largest and most luxurious boat servicing the Gili Islands and Lombok out of Amed. Our number one priority is safety and the boat is inspected frequently to make sure it meets all safety requirements.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Review for the boat from Amed to Gili T!

I was so super nervous as I’d read what felt like 1000s of reviews about how horrible this crossing was but... I was very pleasantly surprised!

We got a “free” ride from the hotel (including in the ticket price of course).

The crossing was a tad bumpy as it’s the ocean and that’s just how the ocean is but... we had a good day for weather so it seemed we got “calm” waters. I even managed to read my book without feeling sick at all.

The crew was good, keeping us informed and chatting. Free glass of water and what looked like enough life jackets for everyone. Two life rafts that fit 80 people total.

The loading and disembarked were fine... didn’t get wet at all.

Asked one crew member where best to sit to avoid sea sickness and he said at the back. Definitely good advice!

I timed the crossing as well, out of curiosity. On this good day it took 1 hour and 5 minutes so not sure about their 40 minute claim but hey, I was still happy.

Maybe we just got lucky and the trip back won’t be so good but after reading so many not so happy reviews, I wanted to take the time to write a nicer one if it helps calm (even a little bit) someone who is as nervous as me about doing the trip.

We’re doing Gili to Padang Bai in a few days and maybe that will be a whole different story but for now, I’m happy!

Date of experience: April 2018
"takes mins"
"rough seas"
"comfortable ride"

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Was very nervous about doing this crossing as I get a little sea sick (I took a sea sickness tablet in case and did not feel sick at all on both transfers). The boat is quite large and the staff told me to sit towards the back, this helped a lot as I could stand by the door during the trip which was nice and cool. I found FreeBird to be very professional and courteous. Smooth sailing on the trip going to Gili T, on the return trip the water was a little choppy but I felt the captain managed it well (one or two hard bumps but it was fine). Sri was AMAZING, answered my 20 emails with questions, changes ect always promptly and politely, so friendly and helpful. Best and shortest choice for a fast boat to Gili.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Amed-Gigi Air
That was difficult to organize so many people but they did it! But don't look how they work with your luggage- it's make you nervous.
Despite this recommend that guys.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

NO ONE can control the seas.....this is why it is so important to do your research. I was minutes away from booking the cheapest ticket to Gili that I could find because someone told me all boats and companies are the same. Decided to do some poking around on the internet, and found Freebird Express to have mostly great reviews, while others did not. Booked with Freebird and so happy I did, Smooth ride going over to Gili T, but not so smooth coming back. THIS IS WHEN you are really happy you did your research, TRUST ME! Captain slowed the boat down a bit, crew was comforting, and always smiling, boat looks pretty new with 5 HUGE engines. Do yourself a favor and book Freebird instead of cheaping out.

1  Thank skippyd516