“The Muchan ”

Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Lonavala
Mumbai, India
“The Muchan ”
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Set beautifully in the Forrest ... note Forrest it ain't no jungle these fantastic structures makes you admire the courage it took to erect...

I arrived in time for lunch to be greeted by some very pleasant smily faces who were quick to give a warm hello ... tick us off the register ..take the deposit ... tell us the rules and then announce the rooms will only be ready at 2pm as per the booking confirmation . Lunch must be booked ahead and costs about 700rupees ahead ...

We ate delicious home cooked North Indian food could not fault the lunch or dinner ...but if u were planning to stay longer than a day I guess the meals would become a bit tedious .

It's 2pm on the dot and we arrive back at reception to be taken to our
"Tree House " .

Well my surprise ... as I was escorted into the basement of a tree house .. a dark unflattering room W003 ... remember this when u book . Insist on a Sunset house that's higher up . I called up reception to ask about the dungeon we were plonked into ... no real apology or suggestion of more suitable rooms .

Oh well ! Let's make the best of the situation was the thought and we decided to pour ourselves a Gin & Tonic ... well almost did as the Muchun firstly doesn't keep Gin or Tonic in fact the bar list is dull and as dismal as the over priced cave we stayed in !

I decided to forget the fact we were in a bad room ! No gin ! And no reception and went on a walk around the campus . The so called peace and tranquility does not exist.
One hears the zooming of motorbikes and cars , builders banging and noisy staff who don't understand discretion .

My stay was disappointing considering my night before the Muchan was at The Hilton Shilliam just up the road .

There's no room service for dinner just snacks , no kettle for morning tea you can ring reception and 30min later you may get a clean cup , and coffee pot that looks hygienic and not broken .

I guess I was disappointed cause my room was just awful and I expected quiet , tranquil 5 star service only to get a substandard room , dusty breakfast and no sparkle with service ...

It's great space for kids to run around and scream. No real recreation ps take entertainment !

Sorry this wasn't the thrilling review u wanted to read ... it is a beautiful setting but nothing compared to the Hilton up the road ! So if u going to spend choose wisely as both properties are almost the same price

Oh Muchan I so do want to come back ...

Stayed December 2016, travelled with friends
3 Thank umashan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

The Machan is the best family get away at Lonavala. The beautiful n well equipped tree house cottage's are very well planned to meet all your needs even when you're deep inside the forest on one of the hills at Lonavala. Machan is bound to give you and your loved ones the real touch of nature at its best. The delicious food is just like home made, less oily n less spicy so it's perfectly suitable for all age groups.
Their nature trail is a must do which will take care of your trekking expectations.
My family truly loved every bit of our stay over there. Definitely worth a go!! Three cheers to the whole machan team!!

Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
2 Thank ChaitalB
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 27 December 2016 via mobile

We visited The Machan in last week of October this year and were amazed by the mesmerising experience. It is very serine and is situated in a lovely location, away from all the noise.

Food is great and staff very helpful.

Stayed October 2016, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prashant K
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

Hi, Friends. Past so many holidays I was not penning down my experience to the places I visited,but this property again made me write about.

It's simply outstanding place ideally for one day stay in monsoons and summers, but one can opt for two night stay in winters as what we did. Monsoon may attract more insects and summertime may not be as cosy as you have thought, if you are using upper lofted seat outs to enjoy the more privacy.

Some of the Machan are offering great privacy anytime during your stay.We stayed for two nights in two different Machan to get the maximum out of it. And we were fortunate enough to visit all the types of Machan once guests checked out at 11 next day, as the Managers there did a great favour to us by arranging a special visits to all types of Machan,where we did not stay.Later I will surely bring you note that which we felt was the best.

Though the reception area is not as impressive as the rest of the rooms are.

The checkin time is 2pm,and before you reach there at The Machan,there is no proper refreshments joint available en route once you leave Lonavla market,so by the time you reach there it's high time that you are in need of some herbal drinks,and I would suggest the management of Machan to offer such as a welcome drink to the arriving guests.

The whole property runs on solar energy and/or windmill generated power,hence they do not provide Tea making kettle in each room,though they have mentioned as provided amenities by default in their website. I personally had to ask for the same thrice ( as I am a hardcore tea lover,and sipping hot masala tea sitting on a sun deck is like a wonderful experience. Nothing can beat this),and it was made available to me next day. Depending on the power availability and given first priorities to guests with kids or aged persons, it is more likely for young couples for non availability of kettles. So my one more suggestion to the hotel managements is to offer high tea in each room at 4.30. Sometimes freebees works wonderfully to the guests.

Room rates are inclusive of breakfast, but it's not that worth the thing, and having experienced the taste and options in breakfast ,we did not opt for Lunch or Dinner there,and went to Lonavala which is 18 km away. Both the days during our stay the menu of breakfast was 99.9 % the same. Only meduwada was replaced by Upma. Rest of the items were same both the days, hence we gave a miss for lunch priced at 550/- per person and gave a miss to dinner too priced at 600/- per person too.

Now about the property. If you are on a honeymoon or looking for a private hideout, canopy Machan are too good to go for. We were in Canopy 2 and we enjoyed to the fullest. Absolute breathtaking or a forest view from any corner of a canopy. Lovely bathtub on deck which offers 100 % privacy. Adjustable Rocking chair for two on deck and hammock makes you spend most romantic time with your partner. The look of this type of Machan is like of an old era,which takes you to your heritages. A wonderful choice.And these are among the very old Machans. I liked this the best.You need to have strong knee to use this Machan.

Our friends stayed in Sunset Machan, which is also an amazing. Truly wonderful view of a valley. The furniture and the Machan is newly made, so contemporary style gives you ultimate pleasure during your stay. Bathtub on deck has a great privacy too. Equipped with two bathrooms,one with open to sky shower does not give you any chance to complain about your partner. Couples aged 55plus can go for this,since there is no high climb access,and easily can be reached there.

Forest Machans are located at the highest location of property and it has a double sized bathtub too. Beautiful view too.

Jungle Machans are also very very good, a completely different from rest of the Machans, but just below some of the Jungle Machans , Cabins are offered,

I would suggest you to NOT TO GO FOR CABIN. It is not worth the price paid. Since it's a lowest priced property among all, I felt that not much attention are paid by the managements towards it. I may be wrong to judge this,but my next day booking was of a cabin. Having spent one night in canopy,it is obvious that spending second night in cabin will not give one any pleasures, as automatically you compare your previous day luxury. My stay in cabin was not so pleasant, my bed was broken at somewhere in middle portion, and it was not at all comfortable to sleep in. Upon bringing notice for the same to management, they immediately sent some staff to fix the thing, and they successfully made the things done,but we wasted our 2 hours because of their presence in our room. To add the pain and guilt of opting for cabin on day two, we found that the bathtub did not have drain plug. That made me really really disappointed. Intercom wire was loose, hard to connect to reception. First two hours wasted in bed repairs,then no drain plug in bathtub and loose intercom wire making you unable to contact manager, which made my late evening experience a complete disaster. I was completely disappointed with my stay at cabin on second day.To check everything in order before guest checkin, is a duty of housekeeping staff. They completely failed in this.
BUT
To my surprise when we visited Heritage Machan next day, we saw housekeeping staff doing their duty to a full satisfaction. Every corner of Heritage Machan was sparklingly clean. They were cleaning each and every glass to a great extent to make it shine brand new. Really beautifully made Heritage Machan. For a larger family it is the best option. For family reunion there is nothing like Heritage Machan. Only disadvantages that most of the bedrooms does not have attached bathrooms.

In short my experience to Machan was great. A truly romantic place, best to go for holiday on your wedding anniversary.

Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
4 Thank D0shi
Reviewed 23 December 2016

Amazing stay at The Machan , had booked the Heritage Machan and the view was to die for !! Superb & well executed concept , loved the rooms , the property and everything was amazing.
The food was delicious and tasted like home cooked.
Service was courteous though a little slow , but am not complaining.
No cell reception or WIFI which makes it even better as we had people actually talking to each other for a change !
Overall a fantastic getaway and looking forward to returning during the rains.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple