The Machan
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Aamby Valley City(Aamby Valley City)
  • Restaurant
Misty Meadows(Lonavala)
  • Pool
All reviewstree housenature trailwind millsoff gridsolar panelswind powerclose to natureflora and faunasunset pointnature loverscomplete privacybirds chirpingsurrounded by treescity liferoom servicewestern ghatsloved ones
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

I have been to this place along with my colleagues for team building and my first impression is Wow what a place !! You are totally off from hustle bustle of daily life so get very good space for self reflection. Rooms are amazing and you feel like sleeping in jungle but actually in star accommodation. There is conference room which is open to green surrounding. Highly recommended for any type of outing be it corporate or family or personal.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Rajesh K
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Machan in December.
Starting from reservation till checking in every person was very nice and hospitable and ready to help.

It is an eco friendly resort which generates its own power using wind mills and solar panel. Hence there is minimal lighting and no power hungry appliances like ACs etc. They don't allow usage of hair dryers and straighteners. The place is completely off grid. No tv, no internet and no Mobile phone connectivity. It's like a digital detoxification. We loved the whole experience of being one with the nature and got to spend quality time with each other.

Room Service is not very fast since the kitchen is a little far. We were told about this at the time of check in. So no complaints in this regard. Also they don't take orders for meals for room service ( which was also told to us at the time of check in)
On request they set up a private candle light dinner at our canopy deck. It was a beautiful experience to dine under the stars.
A must do for couples.
Meals were nice and simple homelike North Indian and South Indian dishes. We read a lot of negative reviews about the food. But we have no complaints as the food is simple yet delicious. They serve bread but no toaster as they use minimum appliances. The meals are served in open air and the whole ambience is beautiful.
We stayed at canopy 2. There are two levels inside the canopy. The upper level has glass walls and a bed. It gives an uninterrupted view of the valley. It's like sleeping in the open under the stars. The deck has a hammock. The open air bath tub on the deck is an amazing experience.

The only blotch in an otherwise great review is insensitivity on the part of management. They painted the staircase railing while we were staying. No one bothered to inform us about it. It is a little difficult to climb up the spiral staircase without holding the railing. Hence I had the paint all over my hand. AND DESPITE MY REPEATED REQUESTS TO GIVE ME A REMOVER NO ONE BOTHERED. Because of this insensitivity I am forced to give a 3 where I would have given a 5 to this place.

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

Welcome at the reception was nice and they escorted us to our machan (canopy 2); the canopy machan is brilliant- as close to a treehouse as possible - nice spacious room, with a deck / balcony with uninterrupted views of the jungle; it also had an additional bed on the "mezzanine" area and the views from there are great!!
We ordered tea in the room. Service is as expected not very fast since they bring the items from the kitchen which is a little far (depending on which machan you are in). Tea was average.
Housekeeping staff are warm and friendly.
We did the private dining at our own canopy deck. It was a very good experience. They set up a candlelight table for you and the food was simple and delicious. A recommended item for couples.
Breakfast was nice and in the open - options of milk cereals, fruits, breads, omelette, South Indian etc. quite nice. Their lunch and dinner options are simple Indian fare and tasty. They try to keep one non Indian dish. Don't expect anything fancy - but if you are fine with simple food, then this is perfect.
They also have a bath tub in the deck area. It's a "natural" experience :).
Overall staff are polite and ready to help!
A must visit for a digital detox- no tv, no wifi, no internet!! Good break from Mumbai.

2  Thank MayurPatni
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

I made a trip to the Machan for a night on 18th dec along with my wife. The entrance to the property heightens the intrigue. It was good till the point the check in happened. I had specifically asked for and was promised a forest Machan with a certain view. But our forest Machan had an obstructed view. On letting the guys out there know about it, they said they will contact the Mumbai office and get back to me. They only got back to me at around 4 pm saying the property is completely booked out and the one which was allocated to me is the only one available. Not that the Machan itself was anything to complain about. It feels nicely crafted..Has a rustic feel to it with the open shower et all. But what we had primarily paid for was the view. And to this extent it was disappointing. It's not as though this experience comes cheap. So you feel short changed when this happens.

It's good that they do not have a TV. But then what do you do with guests next door who decide to play blaring music right into the night.. in the middle of a jungle. nobody from the management turned up to salvage the situation..the result.. I could not catch much sleep.

It's good to keep it rustic and simple. But when you are charging a hefty sum.. you should not use that as an excuse to not provide for tea or coffee till 8 in the morning!!

The property itself feels nice and warm. The yoga session was nice. My wife and I did not take the nature trail. The breakfast was simple but good. The dinner could have been better.

The pricepoint does feel steep for what they provide. The experience definitely is novel..somehow I would like to again visit the Machan sometime. But then who's to say I will get what was promised at the time of booking.

If you are prepared to take that chance...Want to experience the jungle in the lap of luxury.. are okay with a few goof ups on the part of the management.. then go for it. It certainly is an experience. Just that it can be a lot better given what they have.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Well the first impression that one got when one landed in the room was .... i really didn't pay all that money for this.... This place is not luxury in nature... for that please go to amby valley... this place just puts you back into nature..... We stayed there with my family in the Heritage cottage for two nights.... the place just grows on you and you realise how far away our city lives brings us from nature. This place is a little tough to find but if you follow the boards with the Langur (monkey) sign you'll reach there. Google maps does a good job too. Like I said this place is not luxury... no TV, No air con, No mobile network, no wifi..... but just puts you close to nature.... It just grows on to you. The cottage is overlooking the valley with 3 sides glass which makes you feel you are sleeping under the stars... bathrooms are nice / beds good / small refrigerator in the room and a large space for the family. The heritage cottage doesn't have 3 bedrooms but 3 double beds cleverly tucked away from each other.. one in the main hall behind a wooden blind another on the mezzanine and one below in a basement led by a spiralway staircase. Room service is just o.k. and you have food under the trees in the open which is great for a change. The only thing that can certainly improve is the quality of food. After two days what I couldn't stand was the food... Overall a nice , cosy tucked away space right in the middle of nature.

Room Tip: All rooms are on stilts facing the valley with their own privacy. Heritage cottage is the largest and has its own private parking....
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family