“An unplanned (second) Honeymoon”

The Park on Vembanad Lake
Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Alappuzha
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I visited this boutique property on an off-season 2 day break, purely selecting it based on TripAdvisor reviews - and Man was I Surprised.

Prelude: We had to visit Kerala for a 2 days wedding at Thiruvalla and since I had already seen Munnar and Thekkady, I decided to spend 2 nights on backwaters. My first choice obviously were one of the houseboats, but since my better half is scared of insects (which are found in truckloads on any evening in an houseboat) - I decided to chose a star property bang on the lake. Though everyone convinced me to find something on Kumarakom side (Zuri or Kumarakom resort), I was bowled over by the pictures and reviews for the park. Since I am a lover of "peaceful" locales and less crowded hotels (this one has just 10 rooms) - my decision was instant.

Arrival: I had some problems reaching the place, as no cab drivers seem to know the exact location. Luckily I was using the directions on google maps, and I reached bang on without asking for guidance even once. I knew that the hotel would be less crowded being an off season, but was surprised to hear from the reception that we were the only guest for the first night. Our welcome letter and a gratifying front desk incharge (Mr Ajo) were waiting for us on arrival.

Lovely surprise: I had booked the lowest category room using a deal on the hotel website, where I got a night free alongwith free breakfast for two days and one dinner. I knew this room was priced the lowest and hence did not expect much, but to my utter surprise - we were upgraded free of charge to "The Suite".

The Accommodation: All rooms were indeed tastefully designed and were above average on all parameters. The lake view differed from each room, but was still a front for all rooms. The Suite on the other hand was bang on the lake (the only room so close to the water) and the view was breath-taking. The suite had a living area, a bedroom area, a terrace facing the lake - with houseboats and shikara's passing by every minute, a door less bathroom and a small sink/wardrobe area. The ambiance was amazing for my preferences (only thing I missed was a bathtub).

The facilities: There was a gym and a very pretty pool (about 5 feet depth - so no diving plz) alongwith a very good restaurant by the pool. Being a fitness freak, I loved spending my "leisure time" sweating it out in the gym followed by lying in the pool. The pool was so inviting that our last day, we got up at 6.30am inspite of a long drinking binge the previos night - just to get a last dip in the pool before the sun comes out.

The service: This was definitely the best part. There was a personalized touch and warm service (which I normally see missing in properties at good locations) throughout our stay. Right from the front office, to the restaurant, to the kitchen, to the house keeping , to the "Apsara House Boat" attendant, to the gardening staff - everyone was just perfect. I personally hate staff who will keep coming to you or sticking on to guests and keep pestering about their needs. The staff here instead just gave you the right amount of attention, and then left you to your reading or dining or swimming. As mentioned in other reviews, the chef/restaurant incharge will come to your room and take your preferences to get a personal meal cooked just for you. On our first night, we were also given an option for a special lakeside dinner table set up just for us, as it was a full moon night. They even took the trouble of setting up a temporary "live counter" for the appams we ordered - and asked us if we wanted to try our hand at cooking them. On our second day, we met Mr Karthik in the restaurant, who happened to be from our city (Mumbai). Unlike other staff who might stretch it too far talking about the city you are from, we would converse just around our personalized food orders, and he would leave us in our tranquility as soon as the topic was over. The best part was also that none of the staff (even gardening) would look (stare) at the guests when they are standing in boxers in the balcony, or swimming in a two piece in the pool (which is very rare in any part of the country I have visited so far).

Overall it was a very very perfect visit. My better half has been simply singing about the trip as being (so much) better then our honeymoon abroad.

Areas of improvement:
- I have a slightly different (angrezi) taste in food. I love my bacon and sausages and eggs in breakast, and need kilos of red meat during main courses at lunch and dinner. Being the 1st of the month (closed in kerala) on my first day, and a strike the next day - the kitchen staff could not source my preferential food from the market. We had to make do with what was available in the kitchen (I had eggs in the morning, fish for 2 meals and mutton biryani for 1 meal - Pork & Beef were sorely missed). But I am sure this might be a one off case only for me, as all the commercial tourist dishes (dosa/paratha for breakfast, chinese for dinner, chicken punjabi dishes, fish kerala dishes, appam - were well stocked). Since I was the only guest reserved, coming from within India - they maybe did not anticipate beef/pork/sausages/bacon requests (and neither could they buy from the market due to the 2 day closure). The Kerala Fish curry and The stuffed omlette were the best dishes I had. I just had to explain in two lines on how I wanted my eggs, and I got exactly the way I had imagined them in my mind on all 3 occasions (scrambled egg, half fried egg, stuffed omlette).

- VERY VERY IMPORTANT** - The hotel does not have a "liquor license". The hotel staff still is kind enough to buy whatever you want from the market and get it for you. I would still suggest visitors to get their own bottles from Kochi before arriving here. (As I could not get from the market - since Kerala was closed for two days)

- The pool is perfect, but a Jacuzzi / bathtub in the rooms is sorely missing (again maybe a matter of personal taste)

These points are definitely not deal breakers in anyway, and the positives completely outweigh and overpower any are of improvement.

Overall, it has been one of the best trips of my life (correction - THE BEST STAY of my life within India)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
TPVL, General Manager at The Park on Vembanad Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park on Vembanad Lake & M V Apsara. We thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us.
Your positive comments regarding the resort and staff services are warmly received.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back at The Park Hotels for yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Last weekend , I spend one day & night with my entire family at the beautiful and peaceful park. It was for our mom's 60th birthday and we wanted a place cozy enough to feel at home yet giving us all the comfort a resort can provide. I was apprehensive when booking as I was worried if we would end up getting a hotel like feeling. All fears were put to rest as soon as we reached. The personalized attention that the entire team provided made sure that the time spent in the property was well spent . I'm sorry , if I got any names wrong .. I'm just pulling it off the memory.

Starting the Ajo , who helped us chose the room of our preference and Anoop who showed the patience to teach all of us fishing ( and boy , we did catch a lot of them ) . Karthik , who went beyond his duty and duty time to ensure that my family had the best dinner setting and food at our own slow pace. Kishore and Gautham who served us tasty food.

Thank you guys ... Thank you for making my family get-together special for all of us .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Soji K
TPVL, General Manager at The Park on Vembanad Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Reviewed 29 July 2012

i must say i was awed when i walked inside the hotel....truly beautiful and exotic...Added with some genuine service given Karthik...he truly delivered some fantastic customer service...Will be there soon.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Farhan J

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I was there for my Wedding anniversary on 20th of July 2012. Before i started the drive from bangalore i had no clue it was close to 600 Kms i had to drive and it was a nasty one. When i reached the gate i just wanted to crash and get sleep as i was awake for 24hrs straight. But when i saw the majestic view thats on Pic one, i felt like i had 10 Redbulls at once, i mean thats how much energy i got in my body after seeing the scenic beauty.

The place is Majestic and the staff is also very friendly. I dont know the language but all the staff are well qualified and speak good langage without MTI. I only tried Authentic Kerala food and they were amazing and far better than what i ate in other restaurants in Allepy.

I planned for 2days stay and extended by a day since i loved it would have stayed for longer but had to get back to work.

Perfect Value for money and a worthwile experience and a memory i will cherish everytime i think of Allepy (Alappuzha)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReganAiyappa

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were two couples travelling from Mumbai to Alappuzha for a medical procedure in a nearby hospital. We searched on the net for good hotels to stay and chose this place for our stay there. I must say that we were very satisfied with the choice and definitely recommend this place to any one looking for a quiet and peaceful stay, very close to nature. It is a small boutique property just on the bank of the lake. The hotel is new and well maintained and the staff very courteous and pleasing. The restaurant offers a relishing traditional Kerala menu along with various other cuisines. The rooms had a modern contemporary design, were well maintained and very comfortable. The service staff (Karthik, others) were very accommodating and courteous, especially with regards to our request for a very early breakfast. The chef (Kishore) was a plus point; he used to suggest an attractive menu and tailored the dishes as per our taste. A few points need attention - The Houseboat anchored right in the front needs to be moved as it blocks the excellent lake view; the WC needs a hygiene hand shower urgently and the bed linen could be laundered better. The restaurant was noticeably expensive and the management should seriously consider making the prices more reasonable. Overall, a very relaxing and peaceful stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank M Shaf K
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your concerns and look forward to welcoming you and your family back at The Park Hotels for yet another memorable stay.