“Great "Home" stay - ultimate value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashtamudi Homestay

Ashtamudi Homestay
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Alappuzha
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Great "Home" stay - ultimate value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Our stay at Ashtamudi was fabulous. It was, as the name suggests, like staying at home. Food and hospitality was awesome. This is not a place where cooks prepare stereotyped food. Uma (the host) prepares everything herself for her guests. Taste was wonderful. I have never seen such hard working persons in my life.

They also own two house boats. So, they can arrange houseboats for you also. You can get a complete package also. Everything you need are arranged by the hosts with very reasonable price. The place is best value for money. The location is also very fine with wonderful accessibility.

But, few important points you should remember - otherwise you might get a shock at the beginning (as we had). Gradually as you will understand the basic idea about the place and start interacting with the hosts you will start appreciating your decision to choose this place. The core fact is - "this is a homestay and not a hotel".

Alleppey is a place where everybody likes to stay on back waters. Few would prefer on the beach as well. This place is right in the middle of the town inside a small alley with no "views". Probably you will also be staying here on the transit to your houseboat (please remember your Alleppey trip is incomplete if you are not availing one at least for half a day - spending night in house boat is a bit boring unless you are on a honeymoon). The front is very nondescript. Don't expect bellboys to carry your luggage in. Rooms/bathrooms are very basic but very tastily decorated with authentic wooden furniture. There is a possibility of power cuts in Alleppey and not all the rooms having inverter support. Better carry a torch.

I am stressing these things out as normally Indian tourists look for these in a hotel. But anybody willing to understand what an authentic homestay is - this is probably the best place to experience it.

This is a place frequented by tourists from all over the world. In the evening when everybody meets and starts chatting in the verandah, that gives a very unique experience. How people from different parts of world, from different cultures can get together in a small place like this - this is a place to see that.

Overall, a great experience. Kudos to Uma, Subhash and the entire family.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
Fukuoka, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I must say this is one of the most unique guest house which I have ever stayed in India.
I was staying at this hotel for one night with my friend in the end of Mar, 2012.
When we reached this hotel. it was a quite early(maybe around 5 am) because our bus from Bangalore reached Alleppey very early in the morning. Their check in time is 12 noon but they accepted us kindly(for your info:we needed to pay 100 rps for early check in).
We chose Non A/C bamboo style room. we really loved this room and want to come back here again!! However, please note one point. I think the wall between the room was very thin and it was not soundproof. Unfortunately our next door people were talking loudly until late night and it was a little annoying for me. Otherwise, I really love this hotel.
I strongly recommend this hotel :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We spent three days at Ashtamudi, booked one night initially and stayed for a bit longer. The hotel is clean and the lady who runs it was very welcoming on arrival and helpful advising on trains.

We stayed at one of the bamboo room upstairs (smallest one-very economical) and it can get quite hot, they have bigger rooms and non bamboo rooms downstairs. The lounge upstairs is good to hang around, read..

We booked a Shikara ride on the backwaters through them and it was wonderfull, very relaxing and the boat driver very good.

I would recomend Ashtamudi.

Sara

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Oh India! You never cease to surprise me. I was referred to AShtamudi Homestay through a kind gentleman named Santosh while in Varkala. We exchanged a few words at his friend's Ayruvedic shop and bumped into one another at the Varkala railroad station. He very kindly called up Subhash and informed him a friend might be requiring a night's stay while in Alleppey. The only way to explain how I felt at the homestay was that it truly felt like home. I had a dinner with them and it was smooth and full of laughter. I loved discovering the breakfasts they had - Uma you are a chef! My 2 days flew by and I witnessed the exact same care, cordial service and attention to everyone who stayed. What chance and what luck for me to have been referred here. Reading all these wonderful comments truly reflects what this family is about. Love Love Love!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed at Ashtamudi for a whole month and I can advice everyone to do so! When I arrived in India I was a bit nervous because it was the first time for me to go on a trip all by myself (I'm 21). But Uma, Subhash and Shadi made me feel at home immediately. They are so nice people and I really miss them now. The homestay is perfect: very good rooms, a nice, big and quiet terrace on the first floor, close to everything (busstation, shops, boats, beach, ...) the food is delicious!!, and Subhash and Uma can help you with all your plans without charging you any more money than you would pay if you would arrange everything by yourself. Also if you are lucky and there happens to be a hindu festival somewhere nearby, Subhash might take you there and for me that was an amazing experience. I also went shopping with Uma several times, which was also great :). And because I stayed there for a whole month they really treated me like family and even invited me to come with them to an engagement party and a wedding party! Also if you want to learn some malayalam, Subhash is a great teacher :) Poyittu varam and nanni!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo