“Epic Experience”

The Pamba Heritage Villa
Reviewed 12 December 2016

After touring India three months, I almost skipped going to Alleppey, but this turned out to be one of my most memorable stays. Rajeev is kindness personified and only wants to ensure his guests are comfortable. Do opt to have meals included as Rajeev's mom does the cooking and she will not let you go hungry. Even when I told them I was vegan, something that Rajeev told me was out of his mom's comfort zone, she still accommodated & did a splendid job.
Waking up on the water was exquisite & one could pass the day just "people watching" as one houseboat after the next floats by. I visited end of November & the weather was hot & humid (my favorite). Do bring your bug spray or buy Odomos as the mosquitoes will find you.
Do not leave without arranging a boat tour. I opted for the less luxurious boat as it feels invigorating to have the wind in your hair and the sun on your face. I was totally impressed by the backwaters & the sights were beyond comprehension. This is what I wrote about the houseboat experience on my blog:

For the three hour journey, I sat utterly transfixed by the physical world tantalizing my senses. What a rare sight to see natural beauty preserved & respected in India rather than coated in the usual layer of garbage. The silence of my journey was intermittently paused by welcomed moments of life on the canal. "Thwack! Pause.Thwack! Pause.Thwack!", went a shalwar slammed against a stone by a mother wading hip deep in the river washing the laundry of her family. A loud hum increased in volume of a passing cargo boat transporting brown burlap sacks of rice stacked twenty high. The 5:30 p.m. evening prayer arrived amplified by speakers & disseminated to the nearby villagers.

Smells of calendula, fish, spices, fresh bread wafted on a soft warm afternoon breeze and beguiled my nostrils. The world before me seemed unreal. I never thought such a tropical paradise existed or that I would be one of its inhabitants. How could I have imagined the cranes dipping low over the lush verdant rice fields, or the exotic water plants that resembled green radish bulbs sprouting the most beautiful floral like leaves? The coconut trees and the wind were like playful lovers as the branches swayed in a gentle cadence calming even the most tormented soul.

The ride offered a glimpse into the lives of a Keralans: young group of girls walked home from school along the narrow dirt pathways in their plaid skirts and braided hair, teenage boys did the same and giggled as I floated by, smiling shyly, then blowing kisses to me waiting for them to be returned. I smiled & blew one back. Women sat near the water's edge, submerging their feet and dishes as well. Men stood in the munder, also known as the doti in the north, a sarong like garment comparable to a skirt, chatting with friends or walking home to meet their families. Some paddled by in boats no wider than their hips, fishing nets in their laps, hoping to catch the evening dinner. Simple square cement structures painted purple with matching boats served as the humble abodes of many. Others lived lavishly in mansions worthy of Sunset Boulevard, three stories, terra cotta roof, wrap around veranda, second floor balconies, palm trees serving as a border between the property & the water's edge.

Over it all was a pink glow cast by a sun slowly setting on the horizon behind the coconut trees, indicating the end of another work day for countless Keralan families. Then, there was me, feeling totally empty but at the same time, filled with peace. It was surreal, magic, other worldly, and I was there. Waves of gratitude rolled in to my unexpecting shores & I was completely captivated by the gift that is the present.

Room Tip: If you have absolutely any qualms, don't hesitate to talk to Rajeev.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
ThePambaHeritage, Owner at The Pamba Heritage Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Hi Natalie,

Thanks a lot for the time you spend on writing this review. Its in detail and will help other travelers too. I hope you will be able to make it to our villa again and best of luck with your Yoga research as well.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Pamba Heritage Villa

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Myself and 2 friends stayed in this nice, relaxing spot right by the water. The rooms were clean and the owner is helpful and friendly. There are bikes you can borrow and he arranged a lovely boat trip on the backwaters. There are lots of mosquitoes so come prepared! We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

Thanks a lot Sarah for the wonderful review. And thanks for recommending our homestay to your known people.

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

We really enjoyed our 2 nights here with our daughters, 4 years old and 5 months old. It felt like home away from home. The homestay has a wonderful location, right on a very picturesque stretch of Pamba river, walking distance to the nearest village. We loved having our meals on the green lawn by the river, deliciously cooked by Rajeev's mother. Rajeev contacted me on Whatsapp prior to my stay and made sure all was in order, he helped us book a day cruise on a houseboat. We'd love to come back one day! The backwaters is such a special place and to enjoy it from Pamba was perfect.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family

Hi Janie, Thanks a lot for the wonderful review. We also enjoyed your presence here especially with you two little daughters. :-)

Reviewed 25 November 2016

After a straining round trip the Pamba Heritage Villa was a calm and relaxing spot for us to recover for two days.

The estate provides two beautiful buildings and a large-scaled garden with hammocks.
The rooms are spacious, but they could prevent some more (and softer) lighting.
Unexpectedly we found very good WiFi connection there in the Backwaters.

The moscitos are an inevitable plague in that area, due to the waters all around, and it needs insect killers or repellants to get rid of them.

Our host Rajeev Thomas ist a most friendly and sophisticated man, who fulfilled our requests perfectly.
His mother skillfully cooked wonderful Indian dishes for us.

In summary, our stay at Pamba was a pleasant and most relaxing break in our South India tour.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Z6205RPthomash
Reviewed 11 November 2016

It's a wondeeful place just by the river. Very relaxing and with beautiful setting. The breakfest and dinners were delicious and home made, some of the best food we tried. Rajeev, the owner took very good care of us and even drove us to town and the beach. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. We enjoyed the free bicicle ride and even some fishing

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple