“Food for the Soul”

Ranked #429 of 942 Restaurants in Greensboro
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Where Rum Runners used to be
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

Tavo is more of a upscale Soul Food Restaurant. My first going I was very pleased with the with the food and quality style of the restaurant. I really enjoyed the fresh veggies. The second time I went to Tavo the visit wasn't so positive. The food was still amazing when it finally came. Understand, that they were pretty busy with a multiple party night at the restaurant. So the service that night was not all that comforting but I give them an A+ for their effort.

Reviewed 17 August 2015

After trying to contact the restaurant for two days (line busy, website down) we finally were able to make a reservation. As usual the place was empty (one other couple in to building). I've always enjoyed the food here but today is was too salty. The greens were almost unbearable and the chicken was also too salty. The new a la carte menu is too much, I would never visit without a Groupon. This place has always had so much potential but they cannot seem to get it right.

Reviewed 10 August 2015

While attending The National Black Theater Festival, someone told us about the PART to Greensboro. My roommate & I wanted to visit the civil right museum. After the museum, we stumbled upon TAVO! Great buttermilk fried chicken, mac & cheese, collards & peach tea. We'll be back for a visit when we come back to the festival in 2017.

Reviewed 26 May 2015

First of all, Tavo is a very good restaurant. Dinner menu choices are varied and solid American cuisine. The wine list is above average. This is a huge restaurant that can accomodate large groups like a college graduation.I have been here before for dinner and really enjoyed it. Lunch is a bit of a differnt story. I should have eaten outside. Inside there were about 15 diners and it seemed empty. The lunch choices were salads sandwiches. Don't get me wrong. The food was good but the menu had no "pop", It felt like eating in Luray Caverns. The server was friendly and attentive. I will come back but it will be in the evening.

1  Thank Aureus999
Reviewed 12 May 2015

My niece and mom had visited Tavo earlier last month and RAVED about the food and service (my mother loved the fish)..anyway, this was the chosen spot for MOTHER'S DAY... My daughters live in Raleigh (NCSU), one graduated on Sat, and they drove up from Raleigh to meet us as we drove from WS. Our reservations (12 people) were for 3 and we were seated upon arrival. (Nice)...after our orders were taken, it was 30 minutes into dinner and no food had arrived...ok..... 45 minutes, 2 plates were delivered...10 minutes later 1 plates...so on..so on...
Remember its' Mother's Day and I ordered the special (b/c my daughters were paying)...lobster, steak/shrimp....which never came.
After watching everyone enjoy their meal, my daughter suggested to take me somewhere else to eat...where...its' Mother's Day 5:00...all restaurants are full!
I asked for a manager and it took a minute but the manager came out and after hearing what I had to say, he immediately asked me and my daughter to come to the bar for a cocktail (on him of course) afterwards, her took our food order and bought it out to us STEAMING HOT, FRESH AND DELICIOUS! We were very pleased with our meal and the drinks were banging!!! some special drink he made (named after Him)..this made our experience at TAVO extra special and memorable... I would recommend TAVO to others and don't forget to stop at the bar! Oh yeah...the servers were very nice.

1  Thank Jackie B

Been to Tavo? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK