“Grandover losing its luster”

Grandover Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
philadelphia, pa.
“Grandover losing its luster”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Just returned from a 4 night business trip at the Grandover. Right off the bat we ran into trouble. 2 of my female colleagues, after reserving a room with 2 queen beds, were shown to a room with a king bed. Thewt were told the hotel had overbooked the double queen rooms, and this was all that was available. A rollaway cot was suggested if the 2 women did not want to sleep in the same bed. Believe it or not, about 5 years ago, the same thing happened! At that time, 2 of my male employees were shown to a room with one king bed. One of the guys did opt to sleep in a rollaway, but we were very unhappy about it. We were not going to be treated like that again so we complained bitterly to the front desk manager. She agreed with us, but had to check with her supervisor before addressing the problem. Long story short, by later that evening, a double queen room was found, and everyone was comfortable after that. But this type of treatment is unacceptable for a seemingly first class resort hotel... The food in the main diningroom is excellent , worth a trip to eat there even if yoju are staying somewhere else. But another area in need of improvement is room service. I ordered breakfast in my room on 3 occassions, and each time they forgot things on the tray, and had to go back down to the kitchen to fetch them the while I waited. Example- one day they forgot silverware, another, they forgot toast, and on another day, they forgot butter. Very annoying! Thus, the title of my review - the Grandover is not what it used to be, and travelers need to be wary of this.

Room Tip: It seems all floors are about the same. I was on the 10th floor this time, and all was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank carol4700
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Grandover during Easter weekend. It was a fabulous experience from the moment we got there until we departed. We took advantage of the spa for a couples massage and enjoyed a wonderful dinner (ask for Bryson as your server - he is the best!) and expansive breakfast buffet. Our room on the 11th floor overlooked Grandover's two championship golf courses, and we had a clear view of Pilot Mountain, which is 40-50 miles away.

Every staff member we met went out of his/her way to ensure our stay was everything we wanted it to be. If you are traveling to the Greensboro/Triad area of NC, Grandover should be your destination!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick E
Northeastern Ohio
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 evening stay at the Grandover. The staff were extremely helpful with directions and printed maps to local attractions and restaurants. The holiday decorations were wonderful and from our room on the 11th floor, everything was so quiet and peaceful. The room and bath were very clean. My only critique was that the bar area, refrigerator and bathroom were starting to show some wear and tear. We look forward to another stay at the Grandover!

Room Tip: Check-in is a little late--4pm and they are very strict about not allowing early check-in.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Thomas0511
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. ThE lobby is incredible. The rooms are large and comfortable (giant screen tv, soaker tub, etc). The food in the restaurant was surprisingly excellent. But the place was empty (I mean really empty, I was the only person having dinner in the restaurant and saw only two other guests in what is a huge hotel). As a result, the staff is really sloppy. I waited at the front desk for four or five minutes while the clerk took a personal call. At the bar (I was the only customer) the two bartenders were too busy talking to each other to talk to me or offe me another drink. An assistant manager sent me to a gift shop by the pro shop that was closed (at 6:30 pm on a Monday night, there was no place to buy a tube of toothpaste). This is a seriously great place for a meeting if it is full. If its not, the place is a disaster.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Hewesema
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed at the Grandover for one night in March 2012. The hotel is well-staffed and communicates a desire to fulfill your every need. My room was well-appointed and the bed comfortable. The only thing I missed was taking advantage of the HUGE tub! If I had known that it was deep and wide, I may have taken a bubble bath. In fact, they should provide bubble bath with the soap. My only complaints were the iron was old and didn't perform well, the alarm clock was old, and the television needs updating. These are easily overlooked, but something to bring with you if you need them.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business